Break in period until battery usage "levels out"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheBeastman13, Oct 27, 2012.

1. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

I've had my iPhone 5 for three days now and have let the battery drain down to ~5% each day before let it full recharge. I checked the "battery usage" part in the settings section, and it reads something around 5 hours 28 minutes.

I thought the battery life per charge was 7-9 hours, am I mistaken? Is there a break-in period until the battery gets used to draining all the way down, then getting fully juiced?

Thanks,

Thebeastman13

2. cynics macrumors G3

Depends on what you are doing to much to compare.

I use tapatalk, email, messaging and phone a lot everyday and I get 5 1/2 to 7 hours.

I was stuck in McCarran airport last week for 7 hours and watched Netflix on their wifi for a lot of that. My usage when I got home the next day was 11 hours with 5% left.

If you didn't use the phone at all standby would eventually kill it (very long time) with 0 usage.

Nearly impossible to really compare to anyone else because everyone's usage is different. Btw I have a 4S but the same theory applies.

3. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Just keep using it and it'll get better. Don't really know why but that's the way my iPhones 4 & 5 went. Here's at the moment, iPhone 5.

Attached Files:

4. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I would stop recycling the battery. Nothing you can do to greatly effect the battery capacity but much you can do to decrease it. The 7-9 hours is under conditions that most of us do not use on our phones. If you are getting only 5 hours you got a lot going on with your phone.

5. TheBeastman13, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

How does one screen capture

EDIT: never mind, I found the method. Here is my screen cap, as of 713pm EST. I started using my phone around 930 this morning after waking up. My usage has been Facebook browsing, about 1.5 hours of show watching on Netflix, espn score center app, various web browsing and about twenty minutes of talk time. I've had 3-4 bars of reception and have solely used Sprints' 3G service today, no wi-fi usage for any activities. I am currently at 42% battery.

Attached Files:

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

That looks pretty good to me. You can always charge every nite if you think you need to. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

7. stonyboys macrumors 6502

What the what????? How????????

Please tell me your secrets :3

8. TheBeastman13, Oct 27, 2012

TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

For starters, I'm on a 3G network. I'd like to think that with nearly full signal that my battery isn't being extraneously used to find a 4g/LTE signal because I have 4G turned "OFF". I don't use blu tooth so I have that off as well. My vibrate is turned off as well, so power isn't wasted to vibrate the phone. My screen brightness is turned low( 35% I'd guess). I don't use cloud services, "push" stuff, so I'm not putting out stuff to unnecessary places. Um... I have it so my screen locks after a minute in hopes that the screen isn't unnecessarily on whilst pocketed or unused. Also, I have wifi turned off so that my iPod doesn't burn power searching for usable wifi connection. If I think of other things I try, I'll let you know.

EDIT: screen cap as of now. Haven't done much in the last couple hours but Internet browsing

Attached Files:

9. Nonono, Oct 27, 2012

Nonono macrumors newbie

And your phone has been plugged in since last full charge. If you never let the battery charge to 100% the usage time will continue to grow. So your usage is not technically something to gauge battery life off of.

10. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't follow. Saturday morning(3am or so) I drained to battery to 1%. I put it on the charger and went to bed. Woke up at 9am later that morning, and took it off the charger, it was charged to 100%... Since then I've had the usage readings I've been posting...?

11. Nonono macrumors newbie

Read on your screen shot above cellular data. It is indicating that your phone has been plugged in since your last full charge.

Not calling you out just pointing that out.

12. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I saw that earlier, but I haven't plugged it in since yesterday morning... Hmm. Are there any reported glitches about that? After work, I don't remember plugging my phone in to the charger. 0.o