Breaking: 13 killed in shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks California

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
We have lot of insane people too but back in the 60's we let them all out of the loony bins and continue to let them walk among us.
‘Loony bins’ were dumping grounds for people the system couldn’t be bothered to treat and we had a very similar system in Britain which we exported to you. Mental illness is ever present in every country on earth yet most don’t commit mass murder. A lot of the recent shootings are people born after 1960 and it seems all too often the wrong people find it far too easy to pick up a gun in the United States.

The only thing you can do is come up with a method that stops that happening. You don’t want gun control so you need to find a way to diagnose mentally ill people before they take drastic action. Let the rest of the world know when you do that as it would be a miracle solution. In the meantime embrace this atrocities as a sad but acceptable consequence.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Obviously the solution is to have armed guards and arm the bartenders*

*Note: I also don’t think banning guns and taking them away is the right solution.
Obviously have additional guards guarding them just in case the bartenders and guards also have undiagnosed homicidal tendencies.

Banning guns works elsewhere, just not in America where it would start world war 3.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
A reporter on MSNBC just said the only thing they know about the shooter is that he was a white male. Earlier on CNN they interviewed someone who was in the bar who said the shooter looked middle eastern. So which is it?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
‘Loony bins’ were dumping grounds for people the system couldn’t be bothered to treat and we had a very similar system in Britain which we exported to you. Mental illness is ever present in every country on earth yet most don’t commit mass murder.
so now we let them walk among us without that treatment. dumb. the US isn't like every country on earth. you see the problem as guns, I see the problem as people. guns themselves don't hurt anyone thus IMO the real problem isn't guns. time for the US to address the root cause....bad and sick people.

A lot of the recent shootings are people born after 1960 and it seems all too often the wrong people find it far too easy to pick up a gun in the United States.
yep....wrong people.

The only thing you can do is come up with a method that stops that happening. You don’t want gun control so you need to find a way to diagnose mentally ill people before they take drastic action. Let the rest of the world know when you do that as it would be a miracle solution. In the meantime embrace this atrocities as a sad but acceptable consequence.
yep and yep. last check DUI's and Drugs are the real enemy of innocent lives being lost. the solution there is a lot easier too so let's no pretend guns are the real enemy of life.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Obviously have additional guards guarding them just in case the bartenders and guards also have undiagnosed homicidal tendencies.

Banning guns works elsewhere, just not in America where it would start world war 3.
Let’s say we do implement some kind of gun ban and the good people willingly give back their guns in a buy back program. How do we then remove the illegal guns that are also out there? The US has such an ingrained gun culture I don’t think it is possible to have a gun free US. So other steps must be taken to solve these issues.

I do think our gun culture needs to change. I do find it perpexling how some people don’t feel safe in public unless they have a gun on them. I don’t think as a society we should have to have armed guards or arm employees/pastors/etc at every store, school, church, synagogue, restaurant, bar, etc in order to feel safe. I feel that proposed solution is just as insane as banning guns. As it doesn’t solve the issue, it accepts the issue as the norm.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
so now we let them walk among us without that treatment. dumb. the US isn't like every country on earth. you see the problem as guns, I see the problem as people. guns themselves don't hurt anyone thus IMO the real problem isn't guns. time for the US to address the root cause....bad and sick people.

yep....wrong people.

yep and yep. last check DUI's and Drugs are the real enemy of innocent lives being lost. the solution there is a lot easier too so let's no pretend guns are the real enemy of life.
I don’t think it’s people. I think it’s a combination of American culture and guns. Plenty of places have guns and very few mass shootings. Perhaps you just have a flawed combination?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Let’s say we do implement some kind of gun ban and the good people willingly give back their guns in a buy back program. How do we then remove the illegal guns that are also out there? The US has such an ingrained gun culture I don’t think it is possible to have a gun free US. So other steps must be taken to solve these issues.

I do think our gun culture needs to change. I do find it perpexling how some people don’t feel safe in public unless they have a gun on them. I don’t think as a society we should have to have armed guards or arm employees/pastors/etc at every store, school, church, synagogue, restaurant, bar, etc in order to feel safe. I feel that proposed solution is just as insane as banning guns. As it doesn’t solve the issue, it accepts the issue as the norm.
Removing illegal guns is a very slow process but America needs to stop flooding Mexico with them too which is a massive problem. Guns are just a fuel in a society where there appears to be too many deep lying problems.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
A reporter on MSNBC just said the only thing they know about the shooter is that he was a white male. Earlier on CNN they interviewed someone who was in the bar who said the shooter looked middle eastern. So which is it?
Why would it matter? It was a male with a gun. Enough said.
[doublepost=1541684929][/doublepost]
Popular college town bar. MSNBC says multiple fatalities.

UPDATE: CNN now saying 12 dead.

UPDATE: AP now saying 13 dead.
America: Nothing can be done. Thoughts and Prayers.

Rest of the 1st world: Uh... What? We solved this decades ago.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Honestly I have no sympathy for americans... they complain about gun shootings every five mins but never do anything about them.
1996: Biggest mass shooting in Australia
1996: Gun control and buyback programme
2018: No mass shootings since, coincidence?
Actually a mass shooting in 2018. But even though mass shootings may have lowered since then, 8 mass killings have occurred since 1996, just by other means.

Reactions: tshrimp

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Honestly I have no sympathy for americans... they complain about gun shootings every five mins but never do anything about them.
1996: Biggest mass shooting in Australia
1996: Gun control and buyback programme
2018: No mass shootings since, coincidence?
It’s the My Precious Syndrome. We also have a gun rationalizing problem. 30k gun injuries and deaths annually, mass shootings regularly, no problemo if it’s an angery white guy. But watch us go ape **** if there is a Muslim terrorist involved in anyway. The logic is fractured.

duffman9000

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
It’s the My Precious Syndrome. We also have a gun rationalizing problem. 30k gun injuries and deaths annually, mass shootings regularly, no problemo if it’s an angery white guy. But watch us go ape **** if there is a Muslim terrorist involved in anyway. The logic is fractured.
Queue the cons in congress saying that it's not the time to talk about such things. When will it be the time? It's not the time to talk about when will it ever be the time to talk about this.