Breaking: 8th person identified in Don Jr meeting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 18, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...77740635e83_story.html?utm_term=.0f185e2804be

An American-based employee of a Russian real estate company took part in a June 2016 Trump Tower meeting between a Russian lawyer and Donald Trump Jr., bringing to eight the number of known participants at the session that has emerged as a key focus of the investigation of the Trump campaign’s interactions with Russians.

Ike Kaveladze’s presence was confirmed by Scott Balber, an attorney for Emin and Aras Agalarov, the Russian developers who hosted the Trump-owned Miss Universe pageant in 2013. Balber said Kaveladze works for the Agalarovs’ company and attended as their representative.

Balber said Tuesday that he received a phone call from a representative of Special Counsel Robert Mueller over the weekend asking if Kaveladze would agree to be interviewed. Balber said his client would cooperate. The request is the first public indication that Mueller’s team is investigating the meeting.

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I had read something of the like last week somewhere. I guess the meeting went from 4 people to 8 in a span of a week. None of which Don Jr. has yet to confirm. Pretty sure Jared's Security clearance form has white out stains all over it by now.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

4. DanielDD macrumors 6502

5. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Two months ago no one knew what the hell a nothing burger was, now it's thrown all over the place.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I still don't know what one is. Doesn't sound like a good fit for Don Jr.'s meeting though.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/14/politics/nothing-burger-word-history-what-is-trnd/index.html
    apologies for the fake news source ;)

8. HEK Suspended

HEK

This latest guy is talking to Mueller and will reveal everything said and transpired in meeting. He is US citizen will be subpoenaed if not already spilling his guts as we chat.

The White House cadre gonna need more lawyers. Kushner is toast, Maniford is done, Jr. Probably ok as long as he squeals on his Daddy. If you think The so-called president didn't know about meeting, then you also believe the Donald is best President ever. Both dillusional thoughts.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

10. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Well I mean the investigation has been going on for months, by now I'm pretty sure Manafort and Flynn have been cooperating this entire time, and that's where the difference between fake media and facts is going to lie in. Don Jr. did a fumble by releasing those emails, he should have just let the NYT run the story so they can continue their fake media spin. Instead this thing has snowballed into something else. Denials of collusion have turned into collusion not really breaking the law, in due time when this is all over, hopefully we'll know the truth.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It was known as a different name.
    [​IMG]

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

CNN. Masters of nothing burger :D

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Thanks to that post and @jkcerda clearing up for me what's an official (well, pretty good fake) nothingburger, I can now safely assert that the meeting in question will turn out to be a real burger of some sort, at least for all those extra lawyers.

I just read in Mother Jones (well, okay but hear me out) that Grassley's possibly trying to turn his Senate investigation of Russians-and-Trump into one where his premise is that Trump's a victim.

The intensity and extent of the committee’s investigation of the Comey firing and other aspects of the Russia scandal depend on Grassley. And so far it looks like the 83-year-old Iowan is more interested in developing a counter-narrative to the Trump-Russia storyline by conducting a series of alternative investigations into tangential subjects. These inquiries seem designed to minimize the culpability of Trump and his aides and to deflect attention from the core issues of the controversy.

Grassley has sent a stream of letters to government agencies and private parties demanding information that is barely or loosely related to the Comey dismissal or Trump-Russia contacts. The letters suggest wrongdoing by those investigating Trump or imply equivalence between the actions of the Trump gang and the Obama crew. Put together, they offer a rough conservative narrative of government officials and others colluding and conspiring to take down Trump. At the least, Grassley’s missives appear aimed at undermining the credibility of agencies or people who have uncovered information on Trump.

LOL the pretzel factories abound amongst the Republicans. Even if Trump was unaware of what's been going on, which looks less and less likely, it should not make the Senate happy to know his campaign staff, transition team and some current staffers were so dense they couldn't see what was happening as they were drawn into Russia's effort to compromise our administration.

Sooner or later Grassley and his fans in the GOP will have to ask themselves whether there are moles somewhere in the White House or its agencies, or just an albatross in the Oval Office who keeps soiling the prospects of the Republican's chances in 2018 and 2020. Either way, it's about Trump and his refusal to explain himself in respect of his quite bizarre coziness towards Russian officials during his campaign and in several instances thereafter. But never mind. If Grassley's not up to doing a good job, that's what Mueller's Special Counsel investigation is for. It must really annoy Grassley that Trump's firing Comey is what caused the creation of that entity. Trump did that to himself. Doesn't really fit Grassley's narrative of Trump as victim.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The problem is that the New York times had copies of all the emails. He was trying to get ahead of the story by releasing them. The interesting issue is how did the New York times get the emails. Well the hot news is that they were leaked by Kushner lawyer. But why would Kushner lawyer leak them you might ask. His lawyer became aware of the emails and the meeting in doing his due diligence and he wanted to get all of this out in the open because he was aware that he would have to deal with it eventually.

The White house is very leaky. They each leak on each other.

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not sure I agree with this entirely. Mostly... but just because it winds up being nothing or nothing much doesn't mean it was fake news. You can raise issues and questions in a news story. Then after the investigation, yield nothing. Or a story could sound significant but turns out to be not much of anything. Doesn't make it FAKE news. Just makes it not important.

Not important or relevant is not the same as FAKE. And I think it's important to draw the distinction.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

How many broadcast hours did CNN dedicate to the topic? How many after the video exposing them?

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

That doesn't refute my comment though. Not everything that is a nothing burger = fake news.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You're correct. However CNN doesn't have the best track record when it comes to the truth.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I hope they find something this time! Then we can all impeach Trump and then Mike Pence will be president.

None of this would be happening if Hillary was the first ever female american president. sigh.

20. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

There's definitely moles within the WH if it's not Russia themselves blackmailing the POTUS. As far as the source of the story, pretty sure it was either Jared's amended clearance form or based on what Manafort has already spilled and is out there.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Here's me: Nothing burger doesn't equal fake news
    Here's you: CNN is fake news. CNN is fake news!

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yes they are :D

23. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Not sure Pence is a good idea. A bit of a far right religious Nutcase. Might be better to keep the ineffective idiot in he white house.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

yeah but that one and his band of dim flashlights keep trying to put that in the impossible dream category. There's only so much the House can overlook, and these guys have sure pushed the envelope. Should dump it all out there and get it over with, maybe at least Trump skates and then life goes on. The way it is and with him commenting on Twitter, the risks mount aigainst his being able to finish the term.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't understand why some republicans put their credibility on the line like this. If there ends up being something going on with the Trump team, they will drag you down too. So why not keep more of a distance and wait and see? Why try to defend at all cost when you yourself don't know everything? Seems like a very risky thing to stick your neck out like that.