Breaking.. Alabama Lawmakers Vote to Effectively Ban Abortion in the State

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, May 14, 2019.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

In almost every case

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/us/abortion-law-alabama.html

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — The Alabama Senate approved a measure on Tuesday that would outlaw almost all abortions in the state, setting up a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the case that recognized a woman’s constitutional right to end a pregnancy.

The legislation bans abortions at every stage of pregnancy and criminalizes the procedure for doctors, who could be charged with felonies and face up to 99 years in prison. It includes an exception for cases when the mother’s life is at serious risk, but not for cases of rape or incest — a subject of fierce debate among lawmakers in recent days.

2. raqball macrumors 68000

Good! I hope it sticks but doubt it will...... Now I do think they should have accounted for rape and incest but since I doubt this will stand, it really does not matter....

3. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

It should’ve definitely provided some type of exception for rape. I wouldn’t be surprised if this bill is overturned shortly because of that omission.

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The social stigma and laws like this will not prevent someone from having an abortion, just as banning certain drugs doesn't prevent drug abuse. What is needed is education, counseling, etc. Talk is cheap, action is important, and they'll ban abortion, but will they offer support for poor single mothers? And before I get the "it's her responsibility" argument, I'm not talking about lazy people who don't want to work. What about someone who has a catastrophic medical scare? A sudden death of a spouse and provider....

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

When things done in the gov't under philosophical or religious reasoning, concern for the individual often isn't that important. As you've seen from some here, the use of exceptions, is often done to make such laws more palatable to the public.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

They’re doing this because they want it to go to the Supreme Court. But the Supreme Court won’t do anything before the 2020 election.

7. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Welcome back to the 70’s Alabama lol, Christ on a bike!

9. metalsiren macrumors 6502

metalsiren

yea this is kind of nuts . and no exception for rape???? r u ****ing kidding me??

I know there are 2 lines pro-choice and pro-life but both of them force issues on the other. they need to develop some kind of artificial womb that can take a fetus and grow it to term. that way if the woman doesn't want to carry the child, they can remove it and put it into the artificial womb to gown . that way the woman doesnt have to carry the child they dont want and the child can still be born. but I am prob just nuts

10. cube macrumors P6

Is the US becoming even more strict than Latin America?

11. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

In the case of Alabama it's more like the 1870s.

12. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

BC.

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

All they are doing is making abortion much more dangerous for those in Alabama.

14. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Yes, forcing choice. How absurd right? Letting women control their own bodies based on their own beliefs. Pretty soon we'll be letting them vote and drive.

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

People out there looking to a perfect solution to the abortion issue.

It's just not going to happen.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

Gun nuts just want more targets to shoot at in schools :(

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

MSNBC legal analyst Danny Cevallos said there is a “very good chance” Roe v. Wade will be overturned if challenged in the Supreme Court, after the Alabama Senate passing a near-total ban on abortion.

“There is a very good chance if this makes it to the Supreme Court that Roe v. Wade will be overturned,” Cevallos said on Morning Joe Wednesday. “Because we have known since the ‘70s that Roe v. Wade stands on a weak foundational basis. Whether you’re pro-life or pro-choice, Roe v. Wade is really about, do we have an individual, fundamental — do women have a privacy right in the Constitution that overrides state legislatures’ abilities to make laws affecting abortion.”

“The bottom line is, that even if you are pro-choice, the right to privacy does not exist, either in the history or the text of the Constitution, which is why Roe has always been ripe to be overturned,” he said.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbc-l...-be-overturned/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

In this case - it's not about the constitution. It's about a fundamental right as a human being to have control over their own body.

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Government already limits what we can do with our bodies, it's an overall sad state of affairs.

The very basis of a free society is that of adult informed consent.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Problem is, does the fetus have control over his/her own body?
    Personally - despite being pro lifer on a philosophical level - I would've left the exceptions for rape and incest.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I am pro choice because I do not think it's my place to judge women (and their partners) when it comes to a decision over whether or not to have an abortion. There are many other instances besides rape and incest where an abortion is the most logical and also HUMANE response.

Anecdotal and I don't state that it's a majority - but I read a story about a woman who at 20 weeks found out that her unborn child had thanataphoric dysplasia. As per her blog, "Anatomically speaking, his rib cage was too small and his lungs severely underdeveloped among a slew of other issues. The doctor explained there was no grey area here, it was one of the most black and white cases of a fatal fetal anomaly that she had ever seen. As long as he was inside me he would probably survive, but death was nearly guaranteed during childbirth if not shortly after. The thought of carrying my son, that I wanted more than anything, to term so that he could suffocate at birth was debilitating. My husband and I made an impossible decision to terminate the pregnancy and protect our son from a painful death."

The Alabama law (if I understand correctly) is about whether or not the Mother's life is as risk - not the child's.

22. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yes it is. States are passing these laws with the hope that the end result is getting Roe overturned.

Meanwhile Alyssa Milano is tripling down on her absurdity now claiming abortion is birth control.

[​IMG]

Hey Alyssa - everyone has the right to chose their own destiny, they have a right to not get pregnant.

23. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

It's not about controlling their own bodies, but controlling what others do to someone else's body, doctors.

Very true. California and other states are limiting food choices to control obesity.

24. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

She's fringe. And I don't know if she's referencing abortion here or that states/federal are also trying to defund planned parenthood. Either way - I wouldn't trot her out as the leader or example of how most people feel.