Breaking: Citizenship question deliberately designed to help Republicans, whites

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 30, 2019.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Breaking" Citizenship question deliberately designed to help Republicans, whites

"Despite Trump administration denials, new evidence suggests census citizenship question was crafted to benefit white Republicans"
    (if you stop loading as soon as page pops up, can read. Free on Apple News)

Republicans certainly believed C question would control certain people. It is a bit surprising since the C Q may actually hurt some Republican states. Then again, the R's seem less rational all the time.

2. LizKat, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

There's a Bloomberg piece on this as well...

(although I think one gets just a single free-read on that that site...)​

Excerpt (bolding is mine):

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Just to literally spell it out for some...
    [​IMG]

All this, and Steve King wants to crawl back into limelight... the emboldening continues...

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

If one was to be particularly cynical; it would almost look like a dismantling of democracy before the inevitable demographics ruined the advantage.

5. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm not sure what the problem is of asking a question about legal citizen status in the census.

Illegal citizens are not supposed to vote. Adding the question will reduce the representation of states with more illegals but representation is based on the number of legal citizens.

The Democrat policy of sanctuary cities / states would mean that these cities / states would have a higher percentage of illegals and would be affected more by the census question. The bottom line though is that representation / funding is based on legal status and that, in the end, the Democrat problem is self inflicted with the sanctuary city / state policy.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I don’t get it. Is it just a question on a form? Couldn’t somebody lie about that? What’s needed is proof of citizenship when you vote. Everyone should have to present a Real ID when they show up at the polling place. To obtain a Real ID you need to present many different forms including a birth certificate. I had to supply a birth certificate, social security card and then I also presented a W2, paystub and bank statement.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It changes the redistricting, not only the vote.
    For example (and I am overly simplifying), if you are distributing 4 reps in 2 districts with 1000 population (500 per district).
    • District A has 499 illegal aliens and 1 citizen (a voter), District B is 500 citizens and voters. If you count everyone (illegals etc.) you might have 2 reps in District A and 2 reps in District B.
    • District A has 499 illegal aliens and 1 citizen (a voter), District B is 500 citizens and voters. If you count only citizens you might have 1 rep in District A and 3 reps in District B, or even 0 reps in District A and 4 reps in district B.
    What changes, in other words, is the weight of the voters over the elected Congress. Counting non-citizens for redistribution factors will cause added weight on the voters within districts with higher non-citizens populace, which in turn might cause local politicians to encourage certain policies.

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

We have proof that this question is designed to benefit "non-Hispanic white people". And people are still trying to justify it.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

A little off topic...

Wow, did not know this... https://www.thoughtco.com/answering-us-census-required-by-law-3320966

A relative of mine was approached by a US Census rep and threatened with fines if they didn't answer all the questions posted to them. My sister's husband got the badge number and confirmed it was a real Census Employee. I didn't know they had that much power! Dang..

On topic...

I realize I'm still waking up and haven't had my first cup of coffee but I don't get what the question is? What is this oh so powerful white benefiting question? I'm actually curious as my wife is a US Citizen, but not white.

Wow, getting a real id was an adventure in fun. I brought everything and ended up having to use ... everything... twice. Somehow they messed up my paperwork so they sent me through the whole process again (same day).

It's in the news how Border Patrol are dumping thousands of people right here in San Bernardino County. Yehaw.

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I don't have a problem with the question. It's the timing and reason why that I have a problem with.

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Both the Republicans and Democrats push issues that help themselves.

What timing would make this more acceptable to you ?

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

As long as it isn't Republican pushing issues that help themselves, then it's acceptable. Isn't that obvious?

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Let's not pretend that undermining the constitution to promote white supremacy is your everyday policy disagreement.

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

We shouldn't have to justify the change to the census.

Representation is based on the number of citizens. By leaving the question out, illegals would be included in the representation.

Representation takes the form of Congressional districting and government funding. Democrats are attempting to game the system with sanctuary cities / states by gaining a bigger representation.

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Ah that's right, anything Republican is white supremacy, forgot about that given. You'll have to forgive me but assuming every republican out there is a white supremacist is still not something I'm quite used to yet. Next we'll make them put stars on their shirts and then round them up and put them in camps! Those damn nazis!

16. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You're simply wrong. We don't determine citizenship by a question on the census. The question is irrelevant to the purpose of the census.

17. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm not sure where it says in the constitution where non-citizens can be used to determine representation in Congress ?

18. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

When I was a kid my mom was approached by a US Census rep. Most of the questions had to do with her income, what she purchased, how much utilities were, and ..... yeah that was like the majority of them. A few religious questions if I remember right (like do you go to church, how often).

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Good strawman. Perhaps read the OP. The question is designed to benefit non-Hispanic white people. That doesn't mean all Republicans are white supremacists. Just the people pushing to undermine the constitution for the benefit of white people.

20. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The census is used to determine population demographics and that is used for Congressional representation.

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The Constitution specifically says that the allocation of representatives is to be based on the number of "persons" in the country (not just citizens) and that the census is to count the numbers of such persons.

22. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Thank you, I like strawmen. :) As I stated above, my wife is not white, so this PRO-white census comment concerns me significantly. I do like to look out for my wife.

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The constitution says that the census is supposed to count every person in a state. Not just citizens. The question is designed to discourage people from being counted.

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not having a racist president who vilifies hispanics and legal asylum seekers trying to tie his agenda into the census to help his party.

I also don't have a problem with the parties trying to help themselves, its the way in which they go about it. Trump or anyone suggesting this didn't say "let's get a better understanding of who we have in the country". You know and I know that was not the intent here. There's proof now too, so....

25. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I'm kind of torn on the idea. I do think getting a census of people is a good thing, but I know a lot of census information is used to make decisions - so it should be tax paying citizens that matter most. If these census questions determine representation in congress then I'd say it needs to be citizens only.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against white supremacy. USA is a great country, many people make up the USA, not just whites.

@GermanSuplex - You do realize that not even the USA has enough $ to take in all the world's asylum seekers, right? While I do think there should be legal ways to enter the USA (my wife came to the USA as an immigrant and is now a US Citizen) - there's just no way that we can take everyone.

What I think scares a lot of people are the reports that cops are deporting criminals only to have them come back months later as if nothing happened. There should be a barrier to entry to make sure you're not a criminal, but whatever they're doing now sure isn't working.

When my wife applied to become a US Citizen here, she had to have copies of her police records from the local PD in South America. I guess those can be forged... Took over a year for her to get here legally. The amount of paperwork was easily 500 pages+.