BREAKING: FCC Looking Into AT&T Rejection of Google Voice App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by avigalante, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

The Federal Communications Commission has launched an inquiry to AT&T Inc. and Apple over the rejection of Google's voice application for the popular iPhone.

In letters sent late Friday to the three companies, the FCC asked why Apple rejected the Google Voice application for the iPhone and removed related "third-party applications" from its store. The letter also seeks information on how AT&T was consulted in the decision,
    if at all.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124908121794098073.html#mod=djemalertTECH

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I don't see why AT&T would be involved. :confused:
    They already allow it on any other device that supports it.

3. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Seems to me AT&T is more directly effected by Google Voice than Apple is but maybe I'm misunderstanding how the Apple/AT&T relationship works.

4. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Google voice seem really cool, would like to see it with the iPhone.

5. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

AT&T also 'allows' Slingbox to run on every other phone but the iPhone.

The app store is the only place where AT&T can deny apps' availability.

6. Axl Rose macrumors regular

7. The General macrumors 601

Why does AT&T even care? Google Voice isn't a VoIP service. All of the calls still use AT&T minutes. I don't see what the big deal is.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Do we actually KNOW it was AT&T? I mean - has it been stated as fact. Or just opinion/rumor/etc?

9. brian doherty macrumors member

Google Voice allows free text messages. AT&T could lose out on $20 unlimited texting plans.

But I just got my Google Voice invite and would love to have an easier way to use it than going to through Safari. My GV number is going to be for my freelance busines =D

10. samab macrumors 6502a

It's all biting Google back in the ass --- because the FCC investigation includes the inquiry of how Google rejects apps in the Android store.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lets call a spade a spade. It wasn't AT&T that rejected it but apple. Now AT&T may have had hand in the matter but the bottom line is that apple rejected the app and must deal with the problems it created.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well it going out to AT&T and apple. AT&T only involvement in that is just going to be to state that they did not have a say in it and they are allowing it. FCC is going to ask AT&T for the information and it is just that.

Apple on the other hand will be the one who has to answer for it.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This, hopefully, is what the FCC investigation will determine... I mean, that's the whole point of doing an investigation, is it not? To find out who was responsible and whether the decision was made in a lawful or unlawful manner? So let them do their job...

I personally think it's probably a good thing. I mean, with the exponentially expanding market Apple has created, government oversight and some rules of fair play were kind of inevitable... hopefully whatever results will make the App Store even better for the consumer.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

What Jessica!

say it's not so another thread started with out searching!

NO!

;););)

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

I enjoy using Google Voice, so I look forward to using it on my iPhone without resorting to clumsy web interface on Safari.

That said, I am conflicted. It is the very same FCC that allowed the creation of anti-competitive US mobile market in the first place, allowing Cingular to buy AT&T Wireless, Sprint buy Nextel, Verizon Wireless buy Alltel, and so on. Prior to these mergers, the industry was actively engaged in offering better plans. SMS were 10 cents each, and on AT&T Wireless, incoming SMS were free. I remember Sprint offering fair and flexible plans and all the major carriers enticed consumers with new and better plans every holiday seasons.

Today, FCC allows just about every cell phone mergers and acquisitions to go through, as well as allowing them to double SMS charge, mandate expensive data service on certain phones (but not on others), and allowing them to charge expensive 3G data plan without providing consistent and reliable coverage. Fixing Apple's inconsistent App Store policies would be a good start at restoring my faith, but they have a long way to go.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you look at the time codes, you will see that the OP of this thread preceded our official thread by about an hour.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

hmmm

my apologies to the op! :D

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

How does ATT allow Slingbox on other phones? If you install it on a ATT Winmobile phone, that does not mean they allow it, they just don't do anything to stop it.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.