Breaking: Major power outage in New York City (61K without power)

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Nearly 40,000 in Midtown and Upper West Side without power. People stuck in elevators, subway lines not working. And the mayor is campaigning in...Iowa. Made one short statement and then took questions on other things. What a horrible mayor.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
The mayor didn't know there would be an outage.

I'm pretty sure 99.9% of NYers it's affecting will get through this just fine. Worst has happen here plenty of times. This is just an inconvenience.
Still the optics aren’t good. Power out now for several hours and the mayor is campaigning in Iowa instead of being mayor. Sure he didn’t know it was going to happen but getting on a plane back to NYC would look better than presidential campaigning in Iowa. Especially when he has such crap approval ratings in NYC as is.

Reactions: Eraserhead

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Still the optics aren’t good. Power out now for several hours and the mayor is campaigning in Iowa instead of being mayor. Sure he didn’t know it was going to happen but getting on a plane back to NYC would look better than presidential campaigning in Iowa. Especially when he has such crap approval ratings in NYC as is.
I agree, he's a crap mayor overall. But it's already predicted power will be up again at around 10:30pm. The city doesn't need the physical support of the Mayor for a several hour outage.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Seriously don’t see a problem here , what is he supposed to do? Fly back and stand next to an electrical switch for a photo op?

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I agree, he's a crap mayor overall. But it's already predicted power will be up again at around 10:30pm. The city doesn't need the physical support of the Mayor for a several hour outage.
Governor Cuomo says midnight.

EDIT: de Blasio now says he’s returning to NYC. And JLo had to cancel her concert at MSG.

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Seriously don’t see a problem here , what is he supposed to do? Fly back and stand next to an electrical switch for a photo op?
Right. Hell during the 1965 blackout, Mayor Wagner must have said "We'll have that power back on within the hour" for at least the first six hours... and somewhere around then at my shop we started walking down 53 flights of stairs in what was then the Pan Am building... and somewhere in mid morning the next day there was juice again. Nobody died as far as I know. A lot of us has a rippin' good time, actually.

Same with the summer 1977 blackout, although then I heard there was some looting, but my friends and I didn't see any on our way slow-walk uptown through the fern bars on the way home. The free food was awesome since they couldn't count on refrigeration to store leftovers...

What's really impressive tonight is that it has begun on the exact date of the 42nd anniversary of that July 13-14 1977 blackout. Guess Con Edison hasn't learned squat about doing rolling brownouts or whatever they need to do to keep from losing it on some summer night in the city. But that could be unfair, I mean tonight's incident might just have been a sudden grid failure elsewhere in the region that triggered the city blackout.

For my money whatever a mayor says to the public during a power outage isn't worth a dime, it's whatever script his PR flack gave him. What matters is how much whatever he said to Con Edison was taken to heart and how hard they lean on whoever they need to lean on to get the juice flowing again.

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Same with the summer 1977 blackout, although then I heard there was some looting, but my friends and I didn't see any on our way slow-walk uptown through the fern bars on the way home. The free food was awesome since they couldn't count on refrigeration to store leftovers...
I was in Massachusetts for the Summer of 1977 when that blackout happened. When I returned home to Brooklyn a few weeks later parts of Broadway looked like a war-torn country. I was totally shocked and unprepared for that.

Was watching the 10 pm news when the 5th of 6 out areas regained power on live TV. As much as I hate De Blasio, there's nothing he can do about a blackout. All power will probably be restored by the time he gets home. The Office of Emergency Management is the most important entity during something like this. There is a lot of rumbling about people stuck in the subway system, office tower building elevators, and civilians directly traffic with an absence of NYPD officers.

Just thankful that Queens didn't suffer anything. We would probably be without electricity for days. Hell, I'm worried that next weekend we'll suffer brownouts/blackouts here with a predicted heatwave starting Thursday.

Reactions: jkcerda and LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Just thankful that Queens didn't suffer anything. We would probably be without electricity for days. Hell, I'm worried that next weekend we'll suffer brownouts/blackouts here with a predicted heatwave starting Thursday.
Yeah why does Queens always take a beating reserved for the proverbial stepchild anyway? Seems like that's the case no matter if rain, snow or power outages.

I was supposed to occupy a former roommate's apartment farther uptown in Manhattan one year, after she had gotten engaged and decided to let me have that place and she''d move out to Queens to live with her fiancé. I volunteered to help her and her future husband move all her stuff.

Right so comes moving day but there had been a big snowdump overnight.

Well we packed up a U-Haul we had rented and fetched uptown once they plowed the streets in Manhattan. Duh,,,, we ended up parking the U-Haul in places like the striped zones of intersections where streets crossed Riverside proper and Riverside the little alley, and driving this U-Haul around the whole upper West Side listening to the radio and stopping to make phone calls and trying to keep from getting a parking or standing ticket before finally giving up and taking the U-Haul back downtown. A lot of streets in Queens were still snowed in 2 days later...

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Hell's Kitchen is a real name, not just something from Marvel Comics? :D
Absolutely real. Or it used to be real. They renamed it to something more gentrified in the recent past, iirc.. The new name was something eminently forgettable... :eek: or is that dementia creeping up on me.

EDIT: a former resident informs me that Hell's Kitchen is supposedly the Clinton area now and that most people still call it Hell's Kitchen because if you tell most people in the city that a diner or a parking lot or something is over in the Clinton district, no one knows what the hell you're talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronntaylor

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Yeah why does Queens always take a beating reserved for the proverbial stepchild anyway? Seems like that's the case no matter if rain, snow or power outages.
After Super storm Sandy we had no power for about a week. And the last few summers we've had brownouts on a regular basis. We'll be out of town after next weekend when there are predictions of a heat wave. I'm sure we'll have a blackout while we're away. The in-laws already checked batteries in flashlights and have candles at the ready.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Duly edited around same time you helped me out there... :)
Yea, I'm surprised I got that right, cause I get confused too. Bklyn is even worst with the name changes. So far, neighborhoods in Queens are considered the same names.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
After Super storm Sandy we had no power for about a week. And the last few summers we've had brownouts on a regular basis. We'll be out of town after next weekend when there are predictions of a heat wave. I'm sure we'll have a blackout while we're away. The in-laws already checked batteries in flashlights and have candles at the ready.
Main trick is maybe not to have a whole lot of stuff you care about in the fridge during summers in the city any more. I remember an apparently brief outage that I heard about later which made me decide not to keep an open jar of mayo especially since some produce in there looked wilted. I just wasn't sure exactly how long the juice was out because I was away for a long weekend. But lettuce I bought on Friday afternoon should not have looked wilted on Monday evening.

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Absolutely real. Or it used to be real. They renamed it to something more gentrified in the recent past, iirc.. The new name was something eminently forgettable... :eek: or is that dementia creeping up on me.

EDIT: a former resident informs me that Hell's Kitchen is supposedly the Clinton area now and that most people still call it Hell's Kitchen because if you tell most people in the city that a diner or a parking lot or something is over in the Clinton district, no one knows what the hell you're talking about.
I was about to mention the "official" Clinton designation (from the neighborhood DeWitt Clinton Park). Can't remember the Real Estate lobby nonsense of a name that lasted all of a couple weeks.
[doublepost=1563079387][/doublepost]
Bklyn is even worst with the name changes. So far, neighborhoods in Queens are considered the same names.
Maaaaaaan!!! Some of the names the R.E. lobby comes up for Brooklyn is outright ridiculous. And I'm sure Queens will suffer the nonsense soon with so many abandoning my home Boro due to high prices.

Reactions: LizKat