Breaking News: I am an idiot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pkts, Dec 4, 2011.

1. pkts, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

pkts macrumors member

I had the original iPhone but left after 2 years because the EDGE connection was terrible (it was fine originally but after 1.5 years I felt like gave all the bandwidth to 3G customers or something...whatever). There was no alternative carrier at that time. I went to Sprint and a HTC Hero and then an Evo. Was pretty happy with both due to the added functionality of google maps integration, free navigation, real gmail and ability to tweak. Just got a 4S today. Was a little dubious, thought I'd be underwhelmed.

Been messing around with it for the last hour with a *****-eating grin on my face. Hey, the touch sensitivity is really good. Hey, the screen is beautiful and the device size feels right compared to my Evo. Wow, I can't see the battery losing % points as I use it. Biggest point is the audio quality. I cannot freakin believe it. I'm listening to the same songs from the same FLAC files. The Evo is playing an OGG from that FLAC and the 4S is playing a 128K mp3 from a 180K mp3 that was converted from the OGG (I know I know, I didn't realize I'd be going back to MP3s!). The 4S has about half the hiss of the Evo and the reproduction of vocals is way better.

Siri is pretty cool too, about 90% accurate with my accent and having the settings on American default.

Can't believe I wasted 2 years away from the iPhone.

2. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

You're back now, but how do we know you won't stray again? :p

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Welcome Back, the grass is greener on this side.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

We should start a poll to see if we should accept him back into the community

5. pkts thread starter macrumors member

LOL, I love the fact I got thumbs down. Is that because I strayed or is it from Android fanboy lurkers?

Mostly I was posting to say how awesome the sound chip on the iPhone is.:cool:

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Was kinda poking fun at all the poll threads popping up with stupid questions

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Awesome man. I know the feeling. When I got my iPhone 4 I finally got peace of mind - all of my Android problems were gone.

9. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

You don't know! Even I can tell the difference between a 128 and a 256kbps MP3, and I can do that with a pair of (99 cents after extrabucks) phillips headphones I purchased from CVS. While I'd very much like a white iPhone 4S and all that's laying it a bit thick, don't you think?

Also: I'd be in tactile heaven if I was going from an Evo to an iPhone. The plastic case on Evo reminds me of those vacuum cleaners people use to clean their keyboards (that aren't really good for anything). It's solid, but it's a strange tactile feeling.

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Who knows with these d bags. I came from the Evo too. Much preferred, miss my free navigation and wireless tether app. Otherwise everything is better on the iPhone.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My original post said "Where's iphone4s16gb when you need him, he's great with polls"

but I deleted it because I don't know if that comment was to mean, either way, he's not going to stop creating those polls.

12. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I went from: 3Gs -> Nexus One -> HD2 -> S. Vibrant -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4 -> HP Veer -> Infuse 4G -> 4S

After awhile I simply got tired of looking through the ton's and ton's of reviews of brand new android phones each week in search of my perfect phone. I wanted something that had:

- great battery life
    - great screen that is visible in direct sunlight
    - great camera
    - gps app w/ maps on device
    - decent audio
    - 'guaranteed' updates
    - voice recording
    - good app ecosystem
    - gaming emulators
    - easy to sell on craigslist
    - good resale value a year from now

Some android phones out there are tempting and spec wise look like absolute MONSTERS :)eek:) but I simply have to remind myself of how nice it is not having to worry about the resale value of my phone dropping overnight on craigslist because some newer android phone that has better specs came out a month later. With the iPhone I pretty much have a guarantee of resale value, updates, and spec dominance of its kind for a full year... things I couldn't get with an android at the moment.

13. nouveau macrumors member

14. lamboman macrumors 6502

The audio quality on the iPhone will always be better than that from the competition, if we take Samsung out of the equation.

As for the Beats phones from HTC...they sound worse.

I made the move from a Desire HD to a 4S, reason mainly being the warranty. I do prefer the 4S, but Android should get credit where it is due :)

15. nmork macrumors regular

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Despite the amount of choice available, the vast majority of tech reviewers on YouTube and various blogs and websites, all seem to have iPhones as their personal device, despite what they may say they prefer when reviewing rival devices.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Lest see how long the "newness" of iOS lasts!

19. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

This exactly.
    Too many problems, lock ups and general sluggishness and unreliability.
    It`s a cliche but it does just work...welcome back :)