Breaking News: Lincoln was a Republican

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 22, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://time.com/4708749/donald-trump-abraham-lincoln-republican/

"Great president. Most people don't even know he was a Republican," Trump said while addressing attendees at the National Republican Congressional Committee Dinner. "Does anyone know? Lot of people don't know that." - Donald Trump

Trump then said Republicans need to spread the word that Lincoln was a Republican, appearing to be unaware of the fact that the GOP is commonly referred to as the "party of Lincoln."

"Let's take an ad, let's use one of those PACs," he said.

2. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Um, I think it is safe to say many if not most of those who voted for Trump do not know that.
    #AmericanEducation

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nobody knew Lincoln was so complicated.

Nobody knew!

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I prefer Presidents that weren't shot while in office.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Well, he's not far from truth, especially since some people think that Washington DC is named after Abraham Lincoln (not joking).

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Shaquille O'Neil thinks the earth is flat, like for real. In a world where people can actually believe the earth is flat is it that hard to believe that many people may not know Lincoln was a republican?

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The Democrats have been trying to adopt Lincoln as one of their own for awhile.
    If people are confused it's understandable.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4228689

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No. But the irony of making this comment where he did was amusing. Also - I do think that Trump likes to say these things as a way trying to show how smart he is - when in actuality, many times it's not.

For me - this is up there (although others might argue) with stating that healthcare is more complicated than anyone ever thought.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

None of that makes sense.

If Washington DC was named after Lincoln, then it would be called Lincoln DC.

Either that, or you're suggesting that people think the 16th president was named Abraham Washington.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Of course it doesn't make sense. Mark Dice has a few cool videos about it (ok, I know that they select the craziest ones, but honestly the question about the capital is quite easy) and not only him. I told you about the girl that told me that Alaska was south of Hawaii.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Shaquille O'Neil is not the president of the United States.

Is this now the level of idiocy that we've stooped to, where all we need to do is find one person who believes something as (or more) idiotic and that makes it all okay?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2017 ---
    Yes. They select the craziest ones. That's why I've spoken out numerous times here in PRSI against that technique being used against both conservatives and liberals.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

He's not the president, but he has a Doctorate in Education and an MBA. He's not your average idiot player. He's also a Sheriff.

--- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2017 ---
    In general I agree, but Washington DC is the easiest question they can ask. There are some questions that no adult should get wrong.

In Mark Dice's video one of the people that got it wrong was wearing a nice I Love D.C. shirt !!

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Alaska is south if you keep traveling south and back around again ;)

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

It's not honorary. He did an Ed.D. so there is no dissertation requirements. That doesn't mean that he had to bust his ass off to study and go to class etc.
    As far as I know he also reads a lot, and he is a strong supporter of public libraries.
    So yeah, he might not be Einstein, but he's not to be considered an idiot only because he's a pro player.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He's to be considered an idiot because of the very statements he's made. Being able to finish a degree program doesn't mean one has superior critical thinking skills. Ben Carson was a brain surgeon for christ's sake and look at the way he approaches any other subject, like a bona fide idiot.

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Oh yeah, I consider him an idiot for his statements. I don't consider him an idiot only because he's a pro player.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So do you consider trump an idiot for his statements?

Or do you have a double standard?

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Yes.
    No.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think all of us "righties" have called Trump an idiot. I know I have done as much. But he isn't a traitorous murderer, so I'm generally happy with him.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Traitorous is on the table.
    You're generally "happy" with him. Interesting choice of words. Do you really mean you're happier with him vs Hillary? Because being happy with him and being happier without someone else isn't the same.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Make whatever kinds of distinctions you like. I'm very unhappy when he's tweeting.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you aren't happy with him at all :p.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think he is doing a good job in some areas.