BREAKING NEWS: Mass Shooting @ Wisconsin Mall

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Oct 21, 2012.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And people really think that more guns are the answer...

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

I still find the timeline odd:

11am : Guy goes on shooting spree
    1:30-ish: People being treated on site and at a hospital
    4:40-ish: Suspect is named and his car is found outside the city. He's still at large.
    6:10 : Suspect found dead inside salon where shooting took place

So, seven hours later, they find him in the place where the shooting took place? I guess the suspected explosive device could have slowed things down.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yeah. It sounds like they didn't have a bomb squad there until many hours later. So they may have known all the people in the building were accounted for and just ensured nobody could get in or out. Plus breaking news timelines are generally horrible... everybody wants to be the first to report so they just report whatever is said.

6. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

If only the rest of the country could enjoy the peace and tranquility that cities such as Chicago and New York enjoy thanks to their ban on firearms.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well, we don't seem to have monthly mass shootings in the UK…

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What good is a ban on firearms when you can easily cross the city limit with firearms? The ban is merely a form of an honor code ... toothless and meaningless in a nation awash in firearms.

9. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Initially it was reported that none of the injured (7) were in critical condition, but three of them ending up dying- not including the shooter (4 total deaths), and 4 more injured. I respect the Second Amendment, but things have GOT to change.

It's being reported that the shooter had a restraining order against him which required him to surrender all of his firearms to the sheriff- obviously didn't happen.

Source.

10. jknight8907, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

There are already plenty of laws in place making all of what happened there illegal. Perhaps some real enforcement would help, instead of comically short sentences for even repeat offenders. Don't punish the law-abiding for the acts of the criminal. They are just that--criminals. They don't respect the existing laws & enforcement, why would they respect additional laws without a change in enforcement?

To add a little center reason to this, though, I don't think more guns are the answer, and I don't think a total ban is the answer. The solution could lie somewhere in the middle, though I doubt it. Things have begun to spiral downhill rather quickly, and probably will continue to do so until some massive change happens. What that is remains to be seen, but it's probably not the bullet points of either party--all either party has to offer is recycled blabber that has yet to work and isn't going to any time soon.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Actually, many of these shooters aren not criminals let loose after a short sentence. Many are "normal" people who've been pushed over the edge for some reason, who took their anger out at the barrel of a gun.

If you can figure out how to detect who these people are and prevent them from obtaining firearms, then by all means tell us about your plan.

Until then, this will continue to be a regular occurrence and a result of being a nation awash in firearms.

Be careful what you wish for.

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Then what would you do about it if it were up to you? What is a feasible way to approach this?

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Watch people die regularly in shootings.

That's what I plan to do.

Because what I'd really like to do isn't tolerable to many Americans.

So I'll just watch people die.

Hopefully it won't involve anybody I care about.

14. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

There are a number of contributing factors to shootings in the US in my mind, including

- availability of firearms
    - poverty / lack of government assistance for those in trouble. if people are feeling truly helpless, they can do some crazy stuff.

whilst guns being available is one thing - guns don't kill people, people kill people.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Correct. Guns just make it easier.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It really is fascinating that we have this problem that no other first world nation seems to have.

Are we just crazier and more violent than the rest of the world? More apathetic? It doesn't matter if we have more guns or less guns - until we get to the root of the problem it just seems as if it's going to get worse.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Guns don't kill people but, crazy people w/ guns kills people easier. I think there needs to be an improvement in Mental Health & how we take care of them in the US before dealing w/ gun laws.

18. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

How can you deal with the mental health of someone who has no history of being mentally unstable, but simply wishes to purchase a firearm?

19. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Drugs are banned. Does that stop them from getting into people's hands?

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If I read correctly,Carlanga is not talking about keeping guns out of the hands of disturbed people, with our current system, that is nearly impossible. Really, an apparently stable person could own a deadly weapon for years and years until they unexpectedly snap and maybe go on a shooting spree. What would serve the problem more effectively would be to take care of people's emotional and mental health as part of social SOP. If you never feel cornered, desperate or hopeless, if you know that there will always be help without stigma, the likelihood of you doing something like this is far, far lower. Not nil, but way less than it is now.

21. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Thanks for expanding on it, you read my mind beautifully :) Mental health is still to this day filled w/ stigma in the US.

22. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I could just as easily kill someone with my compound bow. Ban those too?

23. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Maybe you could but most would find a gun easier, otherwise we would still be using bows and arrows to kill.