Breaking : Obama orders stop to detainee photo releases

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, May 13, 2009.

1. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bad move. Release the photos. This should be part of "transparency in government". We have a right to know what goes on over there.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Good. They can serve no real purpose anymore other than as a recruitment tool for al Qaeda.

wrote Graham and Lieberman.

The act of not releasing the photos doesn't mean Obama condones their content.

4. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

We wouldn't know that unless we saw them. To blindly believe everything ANY president says is wrong. Federal courts ruled in favor in this matter. If Obama wanted truth and transparency he wouldn't be doing this.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I still find that to be a weak excuse. We as citizens of the US pay our military and politicians. We have a right to know what they are doing in our name. This is the kind of thing we hated about Bush, and it needs to stop.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

BBC News is calling this a "U Turn". Does that mean that he too is a flip flopper?

7. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

al Qaeda doesn't seem to be having any problems with recruitment right now.

What these photos would do is cause Americans to demand more serious "truth commissions" than what Obama wants.

This is another fail for the man I voted for.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree- this is bad, really bad. Start sending e-mails to the WH, guys.

9. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

It's actually kind of funny that this came up. I was getting ready to leave, so I put on my flip flops, then I saw this story on CNN. kind of a creepy coincidence.

Oh yeah, that will change his mind for sure :rolleyes:
    This shouldn't surprise anyone. His position on these matters was ill defined and ever shifting during the campaign as well.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

They can release it to the library of Congress. If you want to see them, go there and bring your library card.

The president has to do what is in country's best interest. To release them now would only fan a dying flame.

Another win from a man I voted for. :)

Actually all the would be al Qaeda recruits are joining the "Iraqi Awakening."

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What do suggest? Just complaining on an internet forum?

Really? I missed the part where they said they were doing that.

You, just like Rush Limbaugh, would be the first to run to them if you needed to. They protect everyone, not just who's popular. You should be glad they exist.

12. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

He also has to follow the RULE OF LAW. The Pentagon lost this case twice.

Obama is in action doing what Bush did.

"Whatever I say is law."

13. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

They are both big-government statists who think that government is the SOLUTION, and not the problem. This doesn't surprise me in the least. Also, BO's support for the Patriot Act, FISA, etc. No to mention his vast social-re engineering experiment embedded inside of the so called "stimulus plan".

Bush set record deficits by expanding the power and integration of big government in our lives, and BO CRUSHES those records only a year later. Awesome.

14. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

The fact that this abuse was disclosed is evidence enough. We don't need to see the photos. Abuse happens domestically in US prisons, and in far greater numbers. The government doesn't release photos of any of those incidents, and no one demands them. Why such a desire to see these? :confused:

In fact, of all the wars that were ever fought, this one is by far the most transparent. "Embedding" reporters with tactical units in the field, for example. This is war-time transparency like has never been seen before.

15. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

That is up to the American people to decide not the President. He was voted in because of his stance on transparency among others. And he stands to serve the American people not the Democratic party. Which is what this is really about. Politics as usual.

He's lost my vote if he runs again. I'll go back to the Independents.

And I've noticed a steady decline on news reporting by "embedded reporters" lately.

16. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

According to whom? You?

The President has discretion over such things, particularly in matters of national security, and even more so when the country is at war. It's delusional and naive to assume otherwise.

17. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

The President serves at the pleasure of the American citizen. That and the Federal courts have ruled in favor of releasing these photos twice.

18. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

That's a good point. There should be no such thing as classification for sensitive information. It should all be released into the public domain. Information wants to be free!!!!111one!!!1 :rolleyes:

19. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

You forgot this part :

"That and the Federal courts have ruled in favor of releasing these photos twice"

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You voted Obama in there because you trusted his judgment. The Government is run by representatives, not the mob/masses which can be notoriously emotional. Decisions based on emotions don't usually fare well.

In terms of national security there are certainly things that have to be kept from the public. Things that may endanger others if they are in the public eye, i.e nuclear secrets, military deployments, security codes etc. The images from the prison in Baghdad have been proven to be a recruiting tool for wanna-be al Qaeda. What other useful purpose could they serve besides the idyllic "transperency"?

21. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

This is, of course, exactly right. Obama will have to deal with the political ramifications of his decisions, but they are HIS DECISIONS. He doesn't need to, nor should he, govern based on polling data or the opinion of the masses. Obviously.

22. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

I'm not implying every little national secret should be out there for public consumption. I know very well. I served on a "special ship" during Vietnam.

I know about national security.

This move is pure politics. Obama doesn't want a Republican vs. Democrat war on capitol hill. The American people deserve to know just how extensive these acts were. And if they did know there would be a lot more interest in prosecuting the people that authorized it. As it stands now this whole thing will be swept under the rug.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly right.

24. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

You still haven't answered my question. How is this different from the even-more-numerous cases of prisoner abuse that happen domestically to detainees in US prisons? And why aren't you demanding the release of photographs for these cases as well?

25. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

How do you know I don't ? This discussion is about the abuse of detainees not domestic affairs.

I'm a card carrying member of the ACLU. My concerns run a wide spectrum. Some of which aren't discussed here.