Breaking: Trump to make statement on Syria

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

[​IMG] AP Politics (@AP_Politics)
    4/13/18, 7:49 PM
    BREAKING: AP source: Trump to speak Friday night amid anticipation of retaliatory strike for Syrian chemical weapon attack

2. raqball macrumors 68000

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Reported bombs heard going off in capital. Find timing of the gassing to be odd, I hope they have solid proof.

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Just great. We don’t even know for certain who was responsible for the attack and yet the idiots in charge had to go ahead with a retaliation. It doesn’t help that Russia, like Trump, is beating war drums over this. I didn’t miss the Cold War or the threats of nuclear war. Thanks a lot Trump.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Still waiting for Trump supporters to call out his hypocrisy for 'war-mongering'.

BL.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

way to start WW3 you effing mango of a president.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Trump probably told Putin earlier in the week, if you own anything in Syria you want to keep... best get it away from Assad and his military by the weekend.

Then after Assad is dead by next weekend... he'll tweet that he finished off Obama's line in the red sand once and for all.

8. raqball, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

2 Allies along with the US believe there was overwhelming proof so I assume you dispute that?

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Guys, this was a coalition; a cooperative effort.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

A lot of focus by reporters is the part in 45's statement that things are 'open ended', especially after screaming he wanted all troops out of Syria. The other is curiosity as to why this attack is what prompted the attacks as opposed to others.

12. 0007776 Suspended

Russia will likely retaliate, and this will escalate. I think there is a decent chance that today will be the day that goes down in history as the start of the Third World War. I hope someone blinks and I’m wrong.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Pentagon just debriefed seems like it was a proportional attack if they have evidence of chemical attacks. Confirmed that the strike was a one time event.

14. raqball macrumors 68000

I'd be shocked if Russia does anything other than verbally whine about it..

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You guys have been waiting for Armageddon since Trump was elected, no reason for Russia to strike here, it was a proportionate attack and targets were chemical facilities. Deconfliction channels were used with Russia.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

Yeah and if the Russians were going to do anything they have ships at sea that could have attacked ours already and they have anti aircraft missiles they could have used on our bombers that were sent ect..

The Russians won't do anything except take it and whine about it.. Well, that's my opinion on it at least..

But doom and gloom rules the day..

17. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

[​IMG] Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
    6/15/13, 7:33 PM
    We should stay the hell out of Syria, the "rebels" are just as bad as the current regime. WHAT WILL WE GET FOR OUR LIVES AND $ BILLIONS?ZERO

8/29/13, 1:14 PM
    What will we get for bombing Syria besides more debt and a possible long term conflict? Obama needs Congressional approval.

8/30/13, 6:02 PM
    The President must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!

9/5/13, 8:20 AM
    AGAIN, TO OUR VERY FOOLISH LEADER, DO NOT ATTACK SYRIA - IF YOU DO MANY VERY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN & FROM THAT FIGHT THE U.S. GETS NOTHING!

18. raqball macrumors 68000

I realize this is an attempt to discredit but it actually has a different effect on me than it was probably intended to have..

I see it as the man adapts based on the information he has. When he made those Tweets we was not privy to the information that he now has at his disposal.

Does he owe Obama and apology? Sure but I view his change of mind as a positive and that he adapted to the information he has.

19. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Yes, I do dispute that. No-one has offered any concrete proof of who was actually responsible for the gas attack. The triumvirate tells people it was Assad, but they have offered no proof. There has been no investigation into it yet, (investigators where on the way, but who knows if they'll be allowed now) that could have given proof of who was responsible. The gas used was reported to be chlorine, something terribly common and easy to weaponise. As much as I hate to say it, Assad really had no reason to use gas in Ghouta, at this point. the rebels were already in the process of withdrawing. All using gas would have done was to draw further international ire. It would have been illogical to use it and even Putin would have told him so. The US and their allies, should have waited for some form of third party investigation to be completed. This is just warmongering and, as pointed out by a few members of congress tonight, (from both sides of the aisle) it was illegal on Trumps part. Congress did not approve the attack.

20. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

What’s different between now and 2013?

21. raqball macrumors 68000

Presidential level information maybe? Qualified experts advising him maybe?

22. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Oh dotard. You did it again.. Dotard. Now i feel better.....

btw, this was a coalition effort. But #blametrump because we have nothing better to do.