Breaking: Trump to take steps to ban bump stocks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 20, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/374722-trump-to-take-steps-to-ban-bump-stocks

President Trump said Tuesday he has directed the Department of Justice to propose regulations that would ban bump stocks, devices that allow semi-automatic to be modified to shoot hundreds of rounds per minute.

“We can do more to protect our children. We must do more to protect our children,” Trump said during the announcement at the White House.

Bump stocks came to the forefront of the gun control debate after the deadly mass shooting at a Las Vegas music festival ic October that left nearly 60 dead and more than 500 injured. The gunman in that incident used a bump stock device.

Story is developing

2. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

@samcraig is that really you? First time you posted a positive Trump article? Kodak moment!

3. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

4. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

A friend of mine who does a lot of hunting and owns a variety of weapons said of bump stocks that Stephen Paddock was the first person to find a genuine use for them!

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I'm anti gun related deaths in this country. Enough is enough. Any/all steps to limit access, regulate across state lines, etc are welcome.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

Well, this'll piss off the NRA just a hair...

NRA Statement after Las Vegas

Note, they said they'd support 'additional regulations' No where did they state they would support a BAN.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I agree..That kid didn't use one yet he was able to kill 17 and wound 25 .Removing bump stocks from inventory is a small step however.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why would anybody in their right mind want to be able to spray a whole area with barely-directed bullets?

...and if they’re not in their right mind, why would anybody let them buy such a thing?

10. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Wayne: POTUS, quick, tell them to ban bump stocks, so they lay off the AR

Tump: That's YUUUGGE, 4D chess!

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not 4D chess. Anyone with half a brain understands this is low hanging fruit. But every little bit can help. I don't think this legislation is going to end the debate in the slightest.

12. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

It's interesting in terms of classifying the AR riffle. If a bump stock is legal, then an AR can be technically labeled a fully automatic assault riffle. Hmm, I wonder if the bump stock has the NRA worried.

13. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Removing bump stocks is reasonable solution as it does not ban the guns that use them. Banning the AR-15, not reasonable.

14. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

But we both know the NRA won't give up an inch, unless absolutely necessary. I wonder if the bump stock mod was going to be used for arguments in Congress.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Can you tell me why banning the AR-15 is not reasonable ? Without the broad description of just "gun rights".

What purpose does the AR-15 serve ? And please don't say hunting.

16. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

It actually can, and is sometimes used for hunting. Problem is the .223 round is very weak for larger animals. Hunters tend to use a bigger round with more kinetic energy. You can also get -the AR in larger and smaller calibers, like .308 and .22LR.

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

So, will it take another massacre to limit "assault rifles?"
    /s

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

19. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I scrolled a few times and just saw nonsense. Whatever they think, the majority of people will probably agree that civilians don’t need bump stocks. In fairness to the discussion, I’ll admit I had never even heard of a bump stock until Las Vegas.

22. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Given that he didn't express any interest in doing this after Las Vegas, and is choosing to do this now, when not even directly relevant to the Parkland shooting, indicates that he was looking for something he could do with the minimum amount of impact. It is, quite literally, the least he could do (other than doing nothing).

23. jerwin macrumors 68020

I thought he gave up a round of golf.

24. 0007776 Suspended

It's good to see he is at least doing something. Maybe after the next shooting he will be willing to go farther.

25. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Why not hand guns?
    Far more prevalent, far more die, very easy to conceal, etc