BREAKING: Trump Tweets That He Won’t Be Attending White House Correspondents Dinner

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Feb 25, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

2. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

3. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Love the button... think he's making a mistake. He could take the opportunity to reset to neutral with the press, which would be to his advantage once the GOP starts balking at something he suggests. But hey, he's the prez. Surely he realizes they'll toast him in effigy. Orange pop tart, well done.

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Trump still passing on opportunities to be the bigger man I see. Glad everything is status quo.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I wish they would add Trump to this

6. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's certainly not going to help the divide. Trump repeatedly has said that he will unite people, but time and time again he has taken the low road and done just the opposite.

Sad!

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Maybe so.

But doesn't this, on a certain level, speak to the ultimate cowardice that is Donald Trump?

Let's not forget that Richard Nixon - a man who was almost universally loathed by America's creative class - has the cojones to appear on Laugh-In. But Donald Trump can't face a few newspaper and TV journalists? He can't make a few jokes at his own expense?

Where is Trump going to go when things really get tough? What is Trump going to do when he's facing off against someone who really has the power to makes things unpleasant for the 330 million Americans he's supposedly leading.

Donald Trump is sending US special forces and law enforcement people out, every day, to face people who can - and will - shoot back at them.

And he can't take a few jokes?

God Help Us All.

9. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

just enough to post tho

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I think it's for the best honestly. We keep it to a single issue instead of a continuos gossip ("this comedian refuses to perform!", "CNN refuses to go", etc) all while Trump is attacked because of perceived hypocrisy ("see? He attacks them but goes to dinner with them") and so on. This also gives more freedom to the comedians and the press to joke about Trump as their speech and dinner will not be "reviewed" (that is, censored).

I am sorry because it's usually a good show.

Edit: let me add. I don't think that Trump did not for the greater good, he just doesn't want to be in the hot seat for a useless event. I would not call it cowardice, but it's not that great either.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I was so looking forward to a Colbert encore...

12. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The same thing could have been said about Obama.

The press will never like / respect him no matter what he does so I see no reason for him to act nice with them.

13. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Because it's a missed opportunity to make himself look like the bigger man. Now he looks just as small as his......hands.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

This always bugged me that there are certain events where the president is expected to attend. I hate Trump but I have no problem with him not wasting his time at nonsense like this.

15. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Traditions mean nothing to you?

16. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

keep in mind the last time a president missed one of these was due to being in the hospital after being shot

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Everyone will have a better time without him there.

18. samiwas macrumors 68000

In all the years you've seen Trump as a reality-TV personality, turned Presidential candidate, turned President, have you ever seen him crack a joke? I'm pretty sure the guy has zero sense of humor.

19. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If Trump were skipping it because he was busy doing more important things, then I would agree with you. But we all know that's not the reason.

20. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

he probably has a romantic night planned with his twitter account

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You do know that the event raises money for scholarships and charitys across DC.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

I can't blame him. The press roasts him daily and he's made them the enemy. It would be the most awkward dinner.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2017 ---
    He'll still live tweet the event from the comfort of his couch - drowning his sorrows in a 12 piece bucket from KFC

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No worse than when they roasted him when he was a guest.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm going to push back a little on this. Because every time I think about the Correspondent's Dinner, I'm taken back to April 30, 2011, when Barack Obama, fully aware of the incipient raid that was, literally within hours, to kill Osama bin Laden, attended that event. And sat there, with a smile on his face as Seth Meyers jokes about bin Laden's whereabouts. Obama might not have carried a gun on that mission. But he, and the entire White House Correspondents association - were part of the cover story. Al-Quaeda people sat around their satellite TVs to mock the decadent and foolish Americans joking about their President, literally as the agents of their doom were flying towards them.

Don't think that didn't send a massive message around the world. That we had a President who can tell a joke about his big ears and his relationship with his daughters one day. And come on television the next to announce he'd killed the most wanted, and hated, terrorist in the world the next. Don't tell me that America's stock, around the world, didn't take a huge jump when that happened. Don't tell me that every ******* dictator and terrorist didn't sit up and take notice when that went down.

Donald Trump, by skipping out on the Correspondent's Dinner, is telling the world he's afraid to face a room full of skeptical journalists and comedians.