Breaking up with her and returning the iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roxics, Oct 3, 2014.

1. roxics macrumors regular

I need some information maybe you can help me with. My girlfriend and I both just got an iphone 6 on my AT&T account. We were half way through our 5C two year agreement when we switched to the NEXT plan to get the new iPhones.

She lost her job today and we're breaking up and she's moving out. It's a long story, but lets just say I'm past the point of trying. But I don't want to be stuck paying for two new iphones when I will only need and can afford one on my own.

What is the return policy for the iPhone 6 bought at an Apple store through AT&T Next? Are there any fees and what will I have to deal with on my plan, termination fees, etc?

I'm also curious what my plan will cost with just one phone on it. 64GB 6 with a 2GB plan.

Any help or suggestions before I contact AT&T?

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I think you have 14 days to return it with AT&T. I think you can do a transfer of billing responsibility on her line. Basically, she would take over that line and it will be in her name.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

wow she's having a rough day :eek:

Anyway you can return the phone to Apple within 14 days with no restocking fee. then contact AT&T and have them cancel the next plan for the phone. you will be liable for the remaining ETF for the one iPhone 5C though sorry.

edit* Unless you transfer billing responsibilities like Ramio mentioned, I forgot about that.

4. Hal~9000, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

None that I'm aware of. Simply return the phone in the 14 day return period and you are good to go.

Make sure she takes over responsibility for her own line though.

Should be $31.25/mo for the phone + $25/mo for smartphone access fee + $40 for 2gb of data = $96/mo.

p.s. sorry to hear about the breakup :(

5. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

You break up with her after she lost her job? :(

Your in the 14 day window, your okay.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Nope, just call them, explain, and get her phone off of your contract.

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

You ask that question of someone after they just broke up and you don't have the slightest clue of their situation or the cause? :(

Probably just need to mind your own business when it comes to someone else's relationship...

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I agree, mostly, though the information was offered up when it didn't really need to be...

9. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for the advice. I don't think I can get the number/line transferred to her name. I don't think she has enough money or good enough credit without putting down a big deposit she doesn't have.

I feel horrible about it, but she's been missing at least two days of work per week for months now due to any number of excuses, plus 6 months she missed earlier this year for a work injury which was not her fault. But overall she really just doesn't want to work and I'm not going to support her. Between child support I pay for my son and my own bills, I can't really support her.

10. jettrue macrumors regular

jettrue

What, lost your job? Pack up your crap and start walking, B****. LOL. Sorry to make light of a bad situation. Best of luck.

11. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

LMAO!! Guys will never win.. lol

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

13. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

Reminds me of a scene from the movie Airplane. You know the scene.

14. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

I am guessing you dodged a bullet and will find someone much better OP. Good luck with everything!!

15. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

This happened to me shortly after the 5 came out my ex ported her number to her own account and I was no longer responsible for her contract

16. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

If she can't afford the phone, sell it and pay the early termination of that line.

17. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Wow what a rough day. Considering you're within the 14 day window, I'm sure they'll be able to return it.

18. kaylerrific macrumors regular

Awww, sorry to hear about your bad news! Hope you feel better soon.

19. saberz macrumors regular

You can sell the phone and use the money to pay off the line as a last resort.

20. dljeffery macrumors regular

For a 2GB plan, the monthly access fee is $25 (plans under 10GB get only a $15 discount, whereas plans 10GB and higher get the full $25 discount).

21. Deathlok2001 macrumors member

22. lke macrumors 6502a

Wait some days maybe she will find a new job and you will again be with her.

You need some time to think what is the best option, with time everything changes and right now I am sure that you are disoriented and angry.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

23. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Everyone wants a job, no one wants to work.

Unfortunately, some people never change. Good luck. You gotta' do, watcha gotta' do.

24. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

"I take my coffee black, like my men." ???