Breaking: White House barrier hit by vehicle, Secret Service says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 23, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. Zenithal macrumors G3

I doubt it was anything but a distracted driver. I was in DC a lot years ago. Drivers there are worse than the Prius driving riffraff here out west.

3. RichardMZhlubb, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

If you're heading East on E Street at 17th and you don't realize that you have to turn there, I could see an inattentive driver accidentally going straight and hitting the barrier. E Street is a regular road, but it has been blocked off there by a concrete barrier since the Clinton years. My office is about a block East of the White House (on the other side), and I once calculated that the decision to close off E Street has cost me about two months of my life in added commuting time over the last 20+ years.

(As I think about this a little more, it's actually more likely that a driver going north on 17th might accidentally turn there. You would have to be completely oblivious to not see the barrier coming from across E Street.)

4. jerwin macrumors 68020

eh. well. that was quick. President Pence it is, then.

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

6. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

And, by the way, even if you breached that barrier, it doesn’t get you onto the White House grounds. It would just get you to the north end of the Ellipse, but still outside the White House fence.

7. jerwin macrumors 68020

ah jeez-- they'll probably close more roads to sate their paranoia.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Well the driver was in DC :p

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, you pretty much have to be to think you can pierce a concrete barrier with a Chevy minivan.

And what is this attraction the White House has for nutcases trying to ram, jump or talk their way in...no matter who’s president?

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

The news says mental health may have been a factor. Evenidently it was intentional and that the woman suspect had a history of being arrested around the White House.

I also read a couple days ago a guy drove his car into a hospital ER in CT and then lit himself on fire, and apparently live streamed the event.

And shortly before that we had an severely troubled young man kill 17 people in Florida.

What are we doing to improve access to mental health care?

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

:D I'm reminded of something that I think I once grabbed out of a NYT piece, in which Bob Gates offered up his take on the mental state of some of the denizens of DC:

Even for a particularly outspoken defense secretary, Mr. Gates has reached a
    new level of candor. Perhaps he feels liberated by the fact that he is retiring soon
    and leaving Washington, a city, he has said, “where so many people are lost in thought because it’s such unfamiliar territory.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2018 ---
    Cutting budgets?

12. 0007776 Suspended

Cutting taxes followed by cutting budgets for mental healthcare to help cover the tax cuts. Plus reducing the length of stay that government programs will pay for in residential treatment facilities to the point where they aren’t terribly useful.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably just another cracker jack liberal

14. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well one possible side effect of being gaslighted by a world class gaslighter like Trump is probably not just fearing that one is losing one's mind, but actually going there now and then.

However, I would not limit that possibility to liberals. You can be a conservative and wonder what the heck this administration is up to when it made such a big deal out of cleaning house in DC during the campaigns, and has only mired us deeper in corruption and the opportunities for further corruption in future.

Didn't he say he'd drain the swamp? I could swear he said that over and over.
    Maybe he said he'd train the [inaudible] so what would that be.. a zoo? a circus?
    I feel like I'm gonna have to make him explain it to me personally...

Mind you I don't excuse behavior cited in this thread title. I still wouldn't call it a feature of liberal politics. Doing ill-advised things at the borders of the White House grounds seems not to be attached to any particular ideology, judging from a quick tour of related news archives, and those long-suffering guys at the gates and on the roving security details inside must have seen it all by now.

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

it's time people and their families stop trying to push this responsibility off on the rest of us. if my kid or family member has mental issues that's on me and my family. it's past-time to increase the responsibility people have for themselves and their own family.

16. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I’m guessing that you have never had to deal with a close family member with serious mental illness. My sister in law has very severe mental illness and it took close to a decade for my wife and her sisters to get her the help she needed. The default response is to prescribe medication to treat mental illness and that simply doesn’t work for many severely ill people. Long term, in house care is the only thing that works in cases like that and the facilities simply don’t exist or are not available for many people who need them.

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The irony of your post. If you truly cared about your family's well being, you would support assistance programs. Why? Simple logic.

YOU might be able to afford and provide mental healthcare for your family. And that might protect and limit your family's liability if a member of your family causes hard to another. But when others cannot afford it, then they pose a risk to your family. Sometimes it helps to look at the bigger picture. By helping others, you are helping yourself.

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Doesn't change the fact that people need to support themselves and their family and themselves. If people pose a risk to others, they hold that responsibility first. I see the point you're trying to make but let's lead with personal responsibility first vs public assistance. That BS has to be brought way under control.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You almost seem to understand the point I'm making. And yet... not.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

There’s a couple points here. A lot of these people simply cannot take care of themselves. Some of them might want nothing to do with their families or simply don’t have family support for a variety of reasons. Cost is another major issue.

The flip side of that is some mentally ill people are stable, either living independently or with family. That doesn’t mean their condition can’t deteriorate sand they will run off and be delusional.

One of the biggest problems is access to care. One might be insured but is stuck on long waiting lists to get into programs or cant see their doc for days or their doc barley knows them because they have to see 17 patients and hour just to keep the doors open and get paid the salary they deserve.

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

And some people with problems refuse to acknowledge there is a problem, so any help is turned down.

Then there are the people who live their lives with some kind of problem growing slowly and unseen, so that it seems that one day they just suddenly go off the deep end with no warning.