Breaking: White House ceding Northern Syria to Turkey

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting that they dropped this news late Sunday night. I wonder if Marco Rubio and Jim Jordan will claim Trump isn‘t serious and is just trolling the media. Anyway I am highly skeptical the Defense Department pushed for this. My guess is it’s Trump and Pompeo forcing it on the military.

Reactions: class77

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Curious that he uses the word caliphate. There’s no way he knows what that word means. But he uses it so his supporters can claim he’s correct even though ISIS still exists and certainly hasn’t been defeated. Lindsey Graham usually doesn’t have a problem running his mouth. Will he say something today or will he be quiet as a mouse? How about Marco Rubio. He’s usually a foreign policy hawk. What will he say?

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Last edited:

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Lindsey Graham has been so pathetic as of late I'm legitimately surprised to see him disagreeing with Trump, even over a matter like this which is less controversial to the base than issues like investigations, accusations and immigration. These type of disagreements usually have little blowback because most people don't seem to get knotted up to much over foreign policy and such.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I agree with Trump on this, but for another reason. The only other option is to participate in a 3-way war (vs Syria, vs Turkey, vs what remains of ISIS and similar groups). At this time, the US is not ready to live through another gigantic war in that area. I said it months ago: Turkey WILL invade, and it will also aim at northern Iraq.
We only have about 500 soldiers in Syria, probably about a thousand people, which are basically hostages to the events. So we either step it up with tens of thousand troops, or we leave. Turkey's attack will be massive, they have been preparing for months and months. Personally, I think that it will be a slaughter. Considering that our presence in Syria is already illegitimate, I don't think there is much choice other than to leave.

Reactions: KennethS

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hey, maybe this will get us talking about something other than impeachment? Nope sorry Donny, you are working extra hard digging you political grave, giving Republicans more incentive to cut you loose.

Nikki Haley too much of a coward to mention Trump by name. This was his decision, period.

The Kurds will adopt the term Great Satan when they talk about us. 🥵

Reactions: AlliFlowers

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Why do congressmen keep saying if reports are true? The White House released a statement which is what all the press reports are based off of. Good grief.

What Rubio doesn't understand is that Turkey will attack, which means that any US presence to deflect Turkey's actions is going to be of defensive nature. There is an enormous difference between sending support troops to hit a terrorist group and stopping one quite powerful nation (potentially two if we include Syria's reaction, because Syria will react) from slaughtering an entire region. Were the US to participate in such slaughter, it would free Iran to do whatever it wishes. The US can barely sustain its presence in Afghanistan and Iraq (among others), it can't certainly sustain two full wars in Syria and with Iran at the same time.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
You should definitely head to the Pentagon and explain proper strategy in the region to them.
Very constructive post... also the Pentagon messed up quite a few times in the past decades (Vietnam, Iraq, etc.) so yeah, maybe they need some outsiders.

I am not explaining strategy, nor tactics. I am simply pointing out that what Graham is saying is summed up in one word that they are afraid to mention: WAR.
So let's not have politicians like Graham pretend that they care about the Kurdish people, what they are asking for is war, and not a small one.