Breakthrough internet communicator

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tea-Aholic, May 27, 2012.

1. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

When Steve was up on stage in 2007 announcing the iPhone he said there were "three revolutionary products" being introduced. These were (with audience reactions):

Widescreen iPod with touch controls (cheering, clapping)
    Revolutionary mobile phone (audience goes wild)
    Breakthrough internet communicator (mediocre reaction compared to the other two)

Though I was thinking out of the three, I think the last one has what really changed what I do on my iPhone. With apps like Viber and WhatsApp, I don't really need to use the "Phone" part as much. I use my iPhone on the go to browse in Safari, share my life through Facebook and Instragram it seems as though the 'phone' isn't really part of my life as it was before. I think the phone will never go away but I see it being used less and less. Maybe one day We'll just have data and no phone, just VoIP.

Is anyone else using their iPhone more as an "internet communicator" and less of a phone?

2. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I don't make many calls on my iPhone, I use it more for just a general source of information.
    Very handy when traveling to find local information, maps and stay in touch with email.

My first smartphone was the iPhone 4s which I just got in March. Never wanted one because I don't make many phone calls (hearing impaired). But then I realized how handy it would be to walk around with all the information on the internet in my pocket.

3. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Since 2003, I have always used my smartphones more as Internet communicators than for voice calls and text messages.

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

A friend of mine is constantly texting on his iPhone, when we hang out I have to tell him to put it down it's rude. That or he's constantly checking his phone every 5 minutes for texts due to the off chance that he didn't hear it go off. Well a few weeks ago we met some girls, swapped numbers and he immediately started texting them. However I called them to make beach plans. I told my friend about this and he was amazed I actually called instead of texting and my reaction to him was "you know this thing you're always texting with? it doubles as a phone - crazy I know" the look on his face, the gears were turning in his head that's for sure. Damn I can't stand texting, just flippin' call me and we can sort it out in under a minute rather than dragging it out all damn day.

Moral of the story: people still use the phone aspect of the iPhone

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I definite go online a lot with my iPhone. That said I have been doing the same with older devices through Opera Mobile, so the iPhone wasn't really that much of a breakthrough on that front.

And I call people. I text only to reply to other people or if I need to send a message without disturbing them much.

A lot folks have unlimited messages, but have very few minutes on their plans. Hence they text a lot, and don't really make calls. That I understand; I have unlimited text because my friends a text me all the time.

I do call most of the time. I agree it's much easier to get your point across.

I was planning a trip out with a friend and we went back and forth for a couple days. So I finally got sick of the slow planning; we talked on the phone for 10 minutes and figured everything out from flights to rentals.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

In Iraq and Afghanistan you do a lot of texting, FaceTime, instagram, Facebook and everything else to stay in touch with family and friends. Lots of soldiers are rolling with iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touch's instead of laptops.