Breast Cancer Charity--Only 80% of your donation goes toward FUNDRAISING!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spork183, Jul 24, 2008.

1. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I'm pissed. Just got a cold call from a fundraiser. A charity for Breast cancer survivors. When I asked what percentage went to survivors and what went to fundraising, the guy got a supervisor who informed me a whole 20% went to survivors and 80% went to fundraising. My mom had breast cancer, now in remission. What freaking crock. There ought to be a law about upfront disclosure on fundraising calls. Even better was the Orphaned Police Officer Children "charity" that split the pot 19% to the Orphans and 81% to the fundraising. How can companies like these live with themselves?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If the supervisor flat out told you the percentages, then I'd say that he was pretty upfront.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I am not surprised about this ripoff. If I do get a call, I ask them up front how much is going to the charity, and they have to tell you. I started doing that after reading some article, and since then never pay out except to charities that I know.

Best place to research a charity in my opinion www.charitynavigator.com

4. spork183 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spork183

Uh, legally, he has to disclose when asked. The problem is not enough people ask. :(

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Excellent website. Asking how much goes for fundraising is a very important question.

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The only justification is that by dedicating 4/5ths of your money to obtaining more money that you at least raise 5x the amount of money.

If you can get 5x the people to donate then you get the full amount you would have with the original donation base and still get to fund more fundraising, however at some point this would have to level off simply due to lack of donors or sheer volume of money coming in that you cannot increase your efforts at a cost effective rate.

I've completely given up on cold-call charities. I've done a couple donations to them on days when I've felt generous, but then started paying attention and found that there seems to be about 7 or 8 of them that all sound like they're doing the exact same thing, and they'll call every 2 months soliciting another donation.

I've asked the last few that called to remove me from their lists and the calls seem to have stopped so while there were about 8 of them calling I only had to tell 3 or so to take me off their list so I'm not sure how independent these organizations were.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Thats why I always just say I'm not interested and hang up. If I want to give, I'll visit their website and click on donate.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, the best solution.

The Cancer Society has one of the lowest overheads of all charities.

Look for one with 15%, or less, to "administration".

The Sally Ann, of course, beats them all. :cool:

9. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I donate to the Mario Lemieux Foundation pretty much every year since I got my debit card, this year I think I am just going to get a shirt or something this year :( this whole college thing and no job mean I have no money at all.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

For many organizations, administration costs are an evolutionary process. They usually begin as a group of volunteers, united in a common cause. At some point they begin sending out a newsletter, which too is mainly done by volunteers. The costs are minimal and may not even justify a fundraising effort. If they attract more volunteers, and wish to expand their strategy, and tactics (including services), they soon reach a point where volunteers do not have the time, or the wherewithal to manage, and execute their mission. So, they must hire a director, who answers to the board of directors (assuming they have incorporated). The director must be paid somehow, and this is where the serious fundraising begins.

Some organizations are fortunate enough to know experienced grant proposal writers. Grants are a good way to get young organizations up and running. Some foundations specialize in doing exactly that. But, for a long-term sustaining income flow, one of the primary duties of the director is to fundraise. As an organization grows, a specific paid position for fundraising manager is often created. If the organization continues to grow, new staff members are hired, larger office space is needed, computers and other office equipment is needed, as well as printing costs, etc.

At some point, the organization reaches 'critical mass', and will evolve their mission. Unfortunately for some, they have lost focus of what brought them together in the first place. They spend most of their time, and resources on 'being an organization'. They may produce a newsletter (with a solicitation), perhaps do some light lobbying. They are good at being seen at events and getting/keeping public exposure. But, they really accomplish very little. Others are just the opposite. They are involved with waging active campaigns, in keeping with their mission. Some of the best organizations, in this latter group are:

Habitat for Humanity
    Southern Poverty Law Center
    ACLU
    Greenpeace
    The Nature Conservancy

One of the very worse is The United Way. They basically collect money, take a large chunk, then dole out the remainder to their favorite charities. I used to donate to them, until they dropped Planned Parenthood, for political reasons, and then I discovered they were paying their top few executives, more than $1 Million (combined). This caused such a ruckus, United Way began paying the executive officers strictly from corporate donations, so it gave the appearance, individual donors were not footing the bill.

My wife and I went through this full evolution, with a group focused on River protection in the Northwest (WA, OR, ID & MT). American Rivers sent their Executive Director to meet with us, just as we were reaching the 'critical mass' point. I could not have been more disappointed. The entire 2-3 hours were spent, listening to him paint a picture of what our organization could look like; staffing levels, salaries, fundraising potential, etc. At no point did we talk about rivers and what our program goals should be. On the way home, I told Edie, "I am not doing this because I want to be part of a group. I want to get federal sponsorship for river protection, and go back to having a life (I was spending ~20 hours a week already). Within two days, I had resigned my board position and joined a much more 'active' organization.