Breastfeeding moms hold "nurse-in" in Chicago

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lord patton, Sep 5, 2009.

1. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I totally support these women.

link

Breastfeeding is protected under Illinois law, and I'm glad these moms aren't shy.

I understand that some people might feel uncomfortable around a nursing baby, but that doesn't give them the right to tell them to stop. Geez, mammals have been around for 100s of millions of years. Why would we hide it?

Anyone else have strong opinions about this?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Of all the things there are to be offended by some people choose to be offended by women who are raising their baby in the healthiest way possible. :rolleyes:

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Sources?(honestly, I don't know if it true)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's kind of sad how everything is automatically the fault of men, though... I mean, the irony is rather delicious.

:rolleyes:

Breastfeeding rights are fine with me, but on the other hand, it does seem like this usually comes down to some mother who particularly has no consideration for other people... and clearly it isn't only men who complain about it Actually in my personal experience too, it's almost invariably other women who complain.

5. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Didn't you get the memo? Men are evil! We must be stopped! If women could just get us to behave then all their problems would go away!

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

There is a government website all about it: LINK. And a general google search on "breastfeeding" brings up a ton of websites, most of which talk about the benefits.

Breastmilk from the mother provides the baby with antibodies and nutrients from the mother. It has a bunch of stuff in it which simply can't be put in formula (right now anyways, maybe in the future it will be different?). The milk produced during and right after pregnancy is called colostrum and contains the highest amounts of these antibodies and nutrients. It really is a great thing if the mother is able to do it (and by able I mean emotionally and physically).

Interesting link. I'd say that holds true in my relationship, I beat Chris all the time. :p No, but seriously, men are evil. :cool:

mkrishnan, now that I think about it, the one time I was with someone who was approached about it they were approached by a woman. Interesting, you would think they would be the most understanding.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Post of the Day!!!!!!

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now that I work around a lot of women (in psychology) as opposed to a lot of men (in engineering, where I used to be), it's almost always women complaining about other women... like when a woman dresses inappropriately, it's always other women who complain.

I think part of that is women having trouble with establishing their position in the workplace... sort of like the (very real) phenomenon of certain female professors who make life hellish for their female graduate students but are perfectly civil to their male graduate students. In most of the cases where I've seen that, I think they honestly mean well and go horribly wrong.

Also we have a predilection to interpret behavior differently when women and men do it. Like it's okay for you to joke about beating up your boyfriend in a way that I could not joke about beating up my girlfriend. And people would interpret an actual situation differently just based on gender labels, even though neither of us would (probably) approve of domestic violence if the same situation were presented without gender labels.

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You are exactly right. That's why I actually made the joke, because it is so off kilter and something people don't normally think about. As a woman working with other women I observe exactly the type of behavior you are talking about. My toughest critics at work and in school are my female colleagues, not the males.

What's interesting in this particular case is that it should be something that all women can empathize with. In your example, women dressing inappropriately, its easy to be judgmental because not all women choose to show a lot of skin or otherwise dress in a way inappropriate to the situation. However, breastfeeding is something most women will be faced with at some point in their life (at least those who choose to have children biologically).

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the problem is that they don't all have the same standard of "decency" -- I mean, there are all kinds of completely natural human behaviors of all kinds that involve exposure -- bathing, using the toilet, changing clothes, having sex, clipping your fingernails, changing babies, etc, etc, you know? That different people feel differently about -- most of them believe all these behaviors should be shrouded for decency at some level, but some want more privacy than others. There are people who don't even let their spouses see them with their clothes off and the lights on!

So from that perspective, I think it'd be natural that there would be differences in opinion about public breastfeeding among women. Why wouldn't there be? One would hope there would be charity attached to those differences of opinion, but....

OTOH I think there is sort of an oppression-based mentality, that's sort of like how, in the US, now, when one person insults another person by calling them the N-word (and not in a friendly way, but actually wanting it to be an insult), it seems like the vast majority of the time, it's one black person demeaning another black person. I think that's actually a lot like the way women treat each other in the workplace they jump on each other because women are an acceptable target of that kind of workplace aggression... it's not a fault of women, but it's also not completely the fault of men... it's just the consequences of living in a system like that, and it's really hard to undo, and takes time.

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I have strong opinions about breasts, but I doubt they apply.

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Good way of looking at it. I would be interested in knowing if those same women who approach breastfeeding women also approach scantily clad women in public? :D

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My more catty female friends just call them skanks behind their backs, but then again my friends are all too passive (as am I)! :eek:

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I can't believe there are ANY places that have any issues with a woman baring her breast to feed a child. Its unbelievably silly.

Having said that, I also don't equate breast feeding with some sort of new age, vegan, neo-hibby, gaia-loving, nirvana either. Its just parenting thats all.

I was the Oregon Country Fair here a couple of years. Top freedom is relatively wide spread there, its late summer, its warm there are a lot of artists and yes there is a history of nudity. You deal with it or you don't go, no biggee

This young mother sans top is breast feeding her child in the open, its all fine whatever. This guy actually comes up to her and I quote him;

" Wow there really is hope for the world, thank you "

There is hope for the world because some woman is feeding her child? That's an interesting viewpoint. What a zipperhead.

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Totally off topic, sorry. I was watching Gran Torino and the main character was using this phrase, what does it mean? All the other ones he was using were racial epithets, so I assumed this one was, too, but really have no idea. :eek:

As for the rest of your post, that is kind of funny really. It seems many people are afraid to touch their children these days. Or perhaps that is just a phenomenon in Southern California? (I am speaking specifically about those things that allow parents to carry their children without actually having to touch them, like baby backpacks)

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

"It is said to have been coined during the Korean war by frontline troops whom had run over enemy troops in jeeps.

The soldiers claimed that the tire tracks from the jeeps left a pattern resembling that of a closed zipper along the corpse. "

Alternatively:

"A racial slur coined by US soldiers during Korean War because if Asians were shot in the head with high-powered weapons, their heads would split as if you unzipped them. "

18. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Not racial I think, i just think of it as a less harsh term for someone like "dufus" :)

19. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Wow urban lore sites and google have opened up insights into my own speech more than once. I am going to have to start looking things up :)

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Ah, OK, thanks for enlightening me. I had seen those on a google search, but just assumed there were other uses. Good movie, btw.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I love this! Naked is good :) I always get a giggle out of watching people around women who are breastfeeding in public. Go ladies, go! :D:D

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this is natural so who flipping cares?

The baby needs to get nutrition

Sometimes, I feel people think we should all be robots and hide all human attributes

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly right.

24. djellison macrumors 68020

You could start with the CD-ROM we just finished making at work, google OCB and Breastfeeding. It contains an enormous quantity of peer reviewed scientific data demonstrating the benefits of breast feeding.

It's possibly the most natural thing in the world. It is NOT indecent exposure as one educationally subnormal moron in that article seems to infer.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

As djellison says breastfeeding really is the ideal way to feed a baby. As well as providing the required caloric intake, it also provides all the required macro and almost all the microelements. In addition breast milk contains antibodies from the mother which help augment the baby's immune system which isn't fully functional until ~6 months of age. Another major advantage is that it's free :).

However some women are unable to breastfeed or not fully breastfeed for a variety of reasons, and for them formula is an entirely acceptable alternative. Women can sometimes feel pretty pressured that they've somehow failed if they can't breastfeed. But that shouldn't be the case. Everyone is different and it's not for everyone :).