Brentwood police say deadly double shooting was self-defense

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 23, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://abc7news.com/news/brentwood-police-say-deadly-double-shooting-was-self-defense/2133767/
    this is why you need more than 10 rd mags...............getaway driver managed to leave.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Shooting at someone fleeing in a car or on foot is a sure fire way to get tossed in jail. While I agree with the sentiment of having more rounds for perpetrators, you can't shoot at them when they're running away. That's pretty well established by law.

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Attorney: So, why did you shoot my client ten times?

Victim: Because I ran out of bullets.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Slightly odd that you should characterise the double killer as a victim.

6. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Hmmm. Did I misread the the article? Wasn't the homeowner the victim of a home invasion where, at the moment, appears to be self defense? If that's correct then yeah. He's a victim. If I got it wrong then please accept my apology. Nonetheless, I still like my joke.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It seems clear to me from the investigators' statements that he's the victim of an armed home invasion robbery.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I like your joke too, but if the homeowner fired ten rounds and the alleged home invaders fired none, who is the victim? We only have one side of the story, for obvious reasons.

9. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The shooter in this event was the victim. He was being victimised by a pair of criminal thugs who may well have killed him, given events in similar circumstances. The perpetrators weren't innocents, they were criminals who got what they deserved.

10. Zenithal Suspended

LOL! Now that's funny.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have this thing about summary execution.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so the victim/homeowner should give the robbers the chance to shoot ? guessing women who shoot in defense against a rapist should also let the rapist get some to justify it? o_Oo_Oo_O
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2017 ---
    did you even read the story??
    if you are out of ammo and the getaway criminal decides to come in while armed you are pretty much SOL....................

13. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure that the perpetrators were gentle giants who accidentally went to the wrong house while on their way home from the church choir. Thumbs up to the home owner for taking them out and saving the tax payer dollars on incarcerating the scumbags.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did I say that, or anything remotely like it?
    Yes. The "victim" shot dead one armed man who probably was a threat and one unarmed man who probably wasn't.
    If you have already shot ten rounds into his accomplices, he probably won't.
    Well, now we'll never know, will we?

15. ActionableMango, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Based on what we know so far, it's a bit insulting to call it a summary execution. Execution implies that the homeowner had complete control over the situation, when in fact the best information we have available right now indicates that he was the victim of a crime and he was outnumbered 2-to-1 against armed assailants.

I try to keep an open mind, and I believe that I have a healthy level of skepticism. It is possible this homeowner had murderous intent, set up a Craigslist ad as bait, straight up murdered two innocent people, and planted a gun on one of them afterward. It is also possible this was some sort of drug deal gone bad. Furthermore, maybe he was part of a criminal organization and was taking out a couple of opponents. I have no idea...a lot of things are possible, and maybe these facts or something like them will come up later.

But right now, at this point, based on the best information we have in the article and from the investigators' initial statements, the homeowner is the victim of an armed home invasion robbery and so committed justifiable homicide in legally permitted self defense.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. seems to me you are implying the robbers are the victims.
    2. play stupid games/win stupid prizes
    3. HOW do you know he was not armed? just because ONE guy does look armed does NOT mean the other guy doesn't have a concealed weapon.
    4. better safe than sorry, 30 rd mags are standard on AR's so are 15-17 rd mags on glocks.

17. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Break into my house and you will be summarily executed if you don't surrender immediately.
    Prime example of cause and effect.

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

jk has willingly admitted on this forum that he doesn't follow firearms laws.
    Nah, you just need to better.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

considering the dead turds were the ones perpetrating the home invasion on the shooter, yes, he is the victim.
    anyone invading your home is seen as likely there to cause you great bodily harm or death and warrants being killed. YMMV but the law is on the side of the victim and dead guys don't testify very well.

20. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Not sure why you'd give home invaders the benefit of the doubt. Such felons should generally expect to be executed if they perform this act. It doesn't seem unreasonable for somebody in their own home to always feel safe. Any threat in their own property should be met with deadly force. Purely by this expectation will felons think twice before terrorizing a home owner.

21. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

And I'm with him on that. too. If I find a law intolerable it will be broken. I left California because of nonsense like their gun laws, (which I disobeyed frequently) and out of control costs. jk has chosen to stay there and put up with it and ignore their unConstitutional laws. I prefer living in the free world.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I'm at 3 seconds :(

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So he has bad aim?