Bret Weinstein, Heather Heying & the Evergreen Equity Council

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Jan 18, 2019.

1. FrankieTDouglas, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

This is apparently part 1 of a documentary about the 2017 series of incidents at Washington's Evergreen State College. I've followed this story a good bit since it happened. If you're not familiar with (former) Evergreen biology professor Bret Weinstein's story and want a recap, I've added some supplemental links and footage below. If you're familiar with the story, the big question is how does something get to the point where students create a flash mob in a classroom against a professor, essentially take over a college, form crudely weaponized roaming parties, and hold a president "hostage" in a meeting? It seems like this documentary is attempting to find out how, via starting with campus events in 2015 and new equity policies being formed. A LOT of uncut presentations by Evergreen faculty at campus forums is presented in this lead up to where things eventually arrived.

If you've noticed the rising reports of campus protests and incidents over the past few years, this documentary is definitely worth viewing. If you have followed the Evergreen-Weinstein topic over the past year and a half, this documentary is a wonderfully produced expose into the circumstances.

Supplemental information:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/opinion/when-the-left-turns-on-its-own.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/evergreen-state-protests.html

EDIT:

This isn't specifically about Evergreen or Weinstein, but it is related to the topic overall:
    https://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

"I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me"

It got a decent amount of initial circulation when it was written in 2015, but it's particularly interesting to reread when you look at the timelines between this publication, and events happening at Evergreen by 2015.

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

Unbelievable video! But it explains a lot.

A college professor stands up against a terrible idea that other professors are too frightened to stand up for. Authoritarianism takes over the college, and things go crazy.

A historical model of what not to do, which is being done in part everywhere.

3. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

The biggest mistake is for people to think this is an isolated case or just an American phenomena, or "just a few crazies". It's a systemic problem.

4. Solver, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019

Solver macrumors 6502a

Most people can’t even comprehend that this is a real crisis. What is utterly stunning is that the types of methods used were very effective in getting the German people to fear and even hate the Jewish people.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

the crisis is with conservative thought.

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

They're terrified of college students trying to replicate the real student movements of the 60's.

7. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Part two of the documentary has now been released.

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I know, right? Personal responsibility, hard work, low taxes, minimal govt intrusion, individual liberty, etc.

YUK! Why would anyone want any of that stuff? It’s so.....eeewwwwwww. :rolleyes:

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Conservatives don’t believe in any of that stuff.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

What do they believe in then. I don’t even label myself as one, at least not fully but I’m curious what you think they believe in. Church stuff? I’m not into that. So what is it then?

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Whatever Trump tells them to believe.

12. Solver macrumors 6502a

Advanced brainwashing.

If these types of extremist groups can set up enough of their youth training camps of hate without significant repercussions, they could take over a country. They have done it many times before.

13. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Currently, sure, but the lack of an ideology beyond neoliberal economics above all was long established before Trump.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, President Trump is using the Jedi mind trick on millions of supporters. Good for you to figure that out.

15. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

Honestly this is why universities need to be elite institutions. Yes, ELITE! Sorry not sorry.
    Anybody with good grades and handwork can get in to universities. By all means throw in more than a few scholarships for talented poor people. But lowering entry standards to let ANY doofus in is a bad idea . Too much insulation from the learning experience of failure in the education system, right across the west, at every level. We are starting to see the consequences of that, with the harvest from the children of the corn that are these radicalised students.

I teach students that should not be in university, period. In my geology field trips 6 months before graduation I hand many of them a rock and ask them what is it, they tell me "its a rock". Thats the wrong answer for a third year geologist about to graduate. I needed its a "polymict volcanioclastic breccia". But thanks to our funding model, they can let the student re-sit the unit as much as possible and give them a degree with 50% of the final exam which carries the same weight as the student who got 99%. Sure there is GPA, but i have been told to "dumb down" many courses because there are no prerequisites anymore. Field trips get cut, chemistry gets simplified, equations get removed, and suddenly you have hollowed out your degree for people who should not be in university.

But the arts know what to do with such people they radicalise them. I don't know how we come back from this to be honest. Its a race to the bottom not the top. The later is now seen as a negative.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you come from a rich family getting good grades at school is easier for a given level of intelligence.

17. Eraserhead, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite right. Otherwise why have you given up all your principles to support him?

He’s basically a liberal cliche of conservatism. He doesn’t support any good conservative policies like limited government, equality of opportunity, family values, balanced budgets and rights for local people to make their own decisions but he does hate black people.

18. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

Yes, I agree, which is why I am all for scholarships, and even have university education free in general. However, you don't fix lower quality education, by making it lower quality and run at the slowest pace of the person in the room. There shouldn't be 20,000 students at a university, more like 2000.

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Oh, ok thanks. My goodness, you guys are funny sometimes.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So what beliefs do you have that Trump differs on?

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Im down with small, limited Govt. I dont care for how captial gains are taxed(should be higher over a certain amount), Id rather cut military spending too. Not sure his overall take on religion but Im not into organized religion. Honestly, the guy aint all that to me. Hes better than Hillary and I think he takes an unfair amount of media abuse but whatever.

Everyone assumes that thosse iof us that arent falling for the left way of thinking are automatically MAGA hat wearers. Not the case at all.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Trump has an approval rating of 90% among republicans. That shows he has a lot of support with conservatives.

23. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

The third and final part of the documentary came out today.

24. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Thats not how Trump became President. He listened to what the American people wanted and is working to deliver that.

25. Solver, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

Solver macrumors 6502a

Very good. That last three minutes of the video summarized the social importance of the series.

This is about a breakdown in the basic logic of civilization. And it’s spreading!”