Brett Kavanaugh admits to heavy drinking, by extension is unfit for SCOTUS seat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Sep 27, 2018.

1. PracticalMac, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

(Original title: Brett Kavanaugh has admitted he is unfit for SCOTUS seat.)
    Edit: Title change to "Brett Kavanaugh admits to drinking problem, by extension is unfit for SCOTUS seat."
    "Brett Kavanaugh admits to heavy drinking, by extension is unfit for SCOTUS seat"

Claims of sexual misconduct aside, Brett Kavanaugh himself has admitted during testimony he had (has) a drinking problem (more on the Fox interview, transcripts here. Another from NYT. For good measure, an article from LAW.com), and many of his friends and associates support that view.

While perhaps not spelled out, the suggesting is he is looses control of himself, and by extension he likely did assault women.
    Also, being drunk he could be completely honest he does not believe he did not assault any women. We all know our memories are affected by alcohol.

If Kavanaugh is approved for the SCOTUS seat, then the stench of the GOP's "white mans club" will grow exponentially worse, as admitted drunkards and suspected abusers are truly welcome to the GOP, as long as you will protect the "GOP Swamp" and are anti-abortion.

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Any source, or we're just flat making things up now?

3. raqball macrumors 68000

Source for his admission please..

Your title says: Brett Kavanaugh has admitted he is unfit for SCOTUS seat.

I'll wait for your source that proves this or for the thread to be taken down..

Thanks!

4. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

This is where the left have realized the false accusations of his assault on women have failed and now they need to pivot to another reason.

5. John-F macrumors regular

Some people by their writing on the internet have proven they are unfit to vote.

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Apologies for now adding sources to OP on first post (as I usually do), have added 3 of them while you where posting.

Let me add 2 more:
    Vox article
    DailyMail article

7. raqball macrumors 68000

Those are not proof of your claim.. Try again or take the post down please...

You said: Brett Kavanaugh has admitted he is unfit for SCOTUS seat.

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

He admitted he had/has drinking problem.
    That is sufficient for a position that calls for high standards.

9. John-F, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2018

John-F macrumors regular

1) He did not admit to having a drinking problem. In fact even the media which opposes him states his denial of having a drinking problem should be investigated. So your statement is false.

2) Even if he had admitted to this, that does not mean he admitted being unfit to serve. That would be your interpretation which you falsely attributed to him.

10. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

AND I would apply the SAME standards if the person was on edge of cliff communist.

BK has a clear and long history of drinking issues, and while one can add a little little forgiveness for his actions, the balance points BK is not in control of his drinking, does not know when he had too much.

The GOP has a list of other candidates so it is time to choose someone else.
    Instead they are on a blind rush to get BK elected even if the was a serial killer because they fear loosing the Senate in November and achieve their GOP agenda.

11. raqball macrumors 68000

Failure to follow forum rules noted... I don't care just pointing out the thread is an opinion piece that makes false accusations and claims..

I asked for sources that backup the claim and you've refused. I assume you also have no intention of taking the post down.. Cool, rock on I suppose...

12. PracticalMac, Sep 27, 2018

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Who are you??

Regardless, in BK words:
    “Yes, there were parties,” he said. “The drinking age was 18. And yes, the seniors were legal and had beer there, and yes, people might have had too many beers on occasion.”

In fact, the legal drinking age in Maryland, where Judge Kavanaugh grew up, was raised to 21 from 18 in 1982, when he was a high school senior, and he did not turn 18 until 1983.
    he (BK) labeled himself the Keg City Club treasurer, noting “100 Kegs or Bust,” and the “biggest contributor” to Beach Week Ralph Club, apparently a reference to throwing up.

ad nauseum, ad nauseum.

Lawyer speak for "I drank to excess (like everyone else did), and did so disregarding I was below the legal drinking age".

I rest my case.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    OMG, since when did PRSI become a News site???
    I provided 5 sources.
    If I violated the rules, then have MR ban me (or at least admonish me).

===========================

Waitaminute. Are you worries about something?

13. John-F macrumors regular

I'm someone who sees through your crap. His words do not in any way admit to having a drinking problem.

My comments stand.

14. raqball, Sep 27, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

You provided opinion pieces that do not even come close to proving what you've stated..
    I don't care if you violated the rules or not. Just pointing out the thread is a false opinion piece...

What would I be worried about? I wanted Barrett over Kav from the start so if he goes down the toilet then so be it.. Within an hour, Barrett would probably be nominated...

15. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Those are NOT opinion pieces!

3 of the articles have DIRECT QUOTES from BK on Fox TV admitting that he drank to excess.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

And how exactly does that backup your statement that: Brett Kavanaugh has admitted he is unfit for SCOTUS seat

17. John-F macrumors regular

He admitted to nothing that you allege.

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’ve known several people who when sober were as meek as lambs, but put a couple of drinks in them and look out! After a night out drinking and partying at the O Club, at a Waffle House in the early morning hours, one friend addressing a waitress said something to the effect of bring those ******* over here. I had to tell him to cool it. :oops:

Kavanaugh seems to fit this profile.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    When did stating legal drinking ages, vs actual ages, and noting an admission of drinking too much is crap?

19. John-F, Sep 27, 2018

John-F macrumors regular

Can you provide a direct quote where he admitted drinking too much?

20. PracticalMac, Sep 27, 2018

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

TITLE CHANGE:

Brett Kavanaugh admits to heavy drinking, by extension is unfit for SCOTUS seat

Yes, I did read the comments.
    More accurate statement to my OPINION on issue.

21. Huntn, Sep 27, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

His admission was not stated flatly, I drink too much, but instead a more generalized admission that maybe I drank more than I should of... on occasion. He’s mitigating an accusation in his defense.

If you are critical of his character, it’s not hard to read between the lines. Btw, women with these backgrounds don’t subject themselves to the kind of abuse they are receiving without a very good cause.

22. Scepticalscribe, Sep 27, 2018

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Brett Kavanaugh would have looked a bit more credible had he conceded - on that nauseating Fox interview - that yes, while at university, he drank excessively and behaved extraordinarily badly at times, but that he grew up, and is no longer that person; the United States loves redemption stories.

Re the drinking, the funny thing is that in the US, with its culture of puritanism and history of prohibition, being considered a drinker (and so you remember all those nasty comments about HRC when she openly admitted she liked her Chardonnay?), even if you are male, - seems to give rise to a strange judgmental condemnation - and clearly, does not elicit the indifferent shrugs such a fact might give rise to in Europe.

To be honest, as a European, the fact that he was a drinker - even an underage drinker - (yes, it was illegal), does not bother me. I hardly know anyone who didn't drink to excess in our university days, or - for that matter - who didn't drink while underage.

What bothers me is the behaviour he may have been capable of when drunk (entitled, boorish, aggressive, violent, and quite possibly prone to carrying out sexual assault), and the fact that the consumption of excess drink is used to excuse and explain away such egregious behaviour.

Of course - such behaviour is not caused by alcohol, rather, alcohol is used to excuse it; alcohol is used to give the drinker permission to discard and jettison inhibitions and disregard social constraints and behave in an outrageously entitled and boorish manner.

The other, larger issue, of course is that someone with such repellant and entitled attitudes to women should not be allowed anywhere near the Supreme Court, let alone with a surreptitious brief to overturn Roe v Wade.

Sledgehammer to hit a nail?

Calling for "banning", eh? Not a refutation, or a time-out, or a temporary suspension?

Perhaps, this reaction is just a little excessive?

23. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Great thread.

I'll play:

24. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Games afoot:
    In reply:
    Sure girls do invite, but accept injury by someone they do not or barely know?
    Even BDSM people only allow such activities with people they know and fully trust.

What the ladies of PRSI think?
    @LizKat @AlliFlowers

25. Raid, Sep 27, 2018

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I hope you don't have a daughter... unless you mean by "loses control" you meant losing her physical security, then her emotional security.... however you imply she invited them to lock her up in a bedroom and invite the encounter... but of course Kavanaugh says that encounter never happened so by extension her 'invite' didn't happen.

I think Mark Judge needs to be subpoenaed to testify.

<edit> changed to correct name </edit>