Brexit: "After a campaign scarred by bigotry, it’s become OK to be racist in Britain"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jun 28, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Interesting commentary in the Guardian. The parallels with Donald Trump in the U.S. are sadly apparent:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/28/campaign-bigotry-racist-britain-leave-brexit

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Intellectual elitists always accuse the working class of racism and xenophobia because it's easer than admitting that they failed to sell their elitist vision to the populace.

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Failed to sell? You sound as if the people were too stupid to stop buying.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The left leaning types will go out of their way to see racism where it's not, and the right leaning types won't acknowledge it even when it's right in front of their faces.

This leads to funny situations where people scream about a stupid Red Cross poster for being the most racist thing ever, leading a bunch of other people to scream about how a bunch of overly sensitive cultural Marxists are trying to sanitize society for the sake of perpetuating white guilt, while around the corner, some kid is taking a boot to the teeth for not being born in the right place.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Be calm, citizen, and save your rage for Hate Week. We have always been at war with EastEuropa.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Hate Week is still two weeks away, AND I'M MAD NOW! :mad:

7. chown33 macrumors 604

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Are we under the impression racism didn't exist until the Brexit?

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

10. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

It did exist, but Brexit emboldened them.

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

TL; DR?

We suggest that you read the article.

12. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If you are anti-Brexit you are pro-oligarch by default.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Funny how if you disapprove of Arab behavior toward women, you're called "racist"--even though it's a matter of character, not color.

15. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, a small undercurrent of obnoxious people have become very aggressive towards non-British citizens in the UK since the Brexit vote. These people don't represent the majority of UK citizens, or even the majority of leave voters. They seem to feel that the vote has given them a free pass to verbally and physically harass foreigners, racial minorities, and religious minorities.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gotta love that black and white mindset. There are no shades of grey! Nuance is for cucks! You're either a paragon of virtue, or a demon of corruption! Anyone who claims that governments are complicated things, filled with as many upsides as there are downs, are mere apologists for our oppressors!

Herp-eh-derp-eh-dur.

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The people have spoken in Britain and its time for the losing team to take their loss with some character. Getting out of the EU will have plenty of benefits that the bleeding-heart/limp-dicks wont see or acknowlege. Protecting your borders is NOT racist so lets stop using that abused word in every freeging argument these days. My goodness.... enough.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I love it. How was Britain not prevented from protecting their borders? They already had an agreement with Brussels to slow immigration to the UK, which is now dead in the water, and now it's being stated that leaving the EU won't make a huge impact on the issue one way or another.

By being in the EU, what were you all at risk for? Established people from European countries with job visas that could freely travel across the borders of any member state? God forbid you end up some Pole working IT at an English bank, right? SOVREIGNTY!

19. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I voted to leave, but not for reasons of immigration. But I do understand why people think like they do, even if I don't agree with it.

In central London, everything's great. And that's why I think there's so much confusion - as to the people that matter/banks/financial institutions - they don't see a problem. Skilled workers come over, fulfil jobs and help the economy. That isn't an issue. The issue comes when you look at the poorer parts of the country, where unskilled people from the poorer EU states are coming here in the hope of finding work, which in most cases isn't that easy - partly because of the influx. Since there's no work, they live in massively overcrowded houses - one person I was at university with said that their neighbours had 11 people living in a 3 bedroom house.

Whilst it's never a pleasant issue to talk about - the fact of the matter is that Britain just isn't big enough to cope with the number of immigrants we're getting. We're not America, we're a tiny island, and whilst there are both positives and negatives to immigration, what most people outside of Central London see is the mass of unskilled workers living in poor conditions, often causing towns/villages to see spikes in crime rates.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

Eveybody who disagrees with me is a racist, bigoted, transphobic neo-nazi!

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Any trade agreement with the EU, who buys 44% of British exports, will require the free movement of people.

And Nigel Evans is now trying to backtrack, saying that his promise to "control immigration" didn't necessarily mean it would decline http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629300

I realize your own vote wasn't based on immigration, but the people who did vote Leave on immigration grounds will be getting a reality check.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The solution to the housing problem has nothing to do with the EU. Local health and safety laws no doubt can be used to prevent people from overloading a house. Certainly where I live rented accommodation must be licensed, and that license specifies the maximum safe occupancy number. The local property managers are just one step shy of being the Stasi, so the regulations are enforced.

As for Britain being a tiny island, it is in fact a collection of islands, and the densities of people are manageable overall. The problem is not the area of land available for housing. The problem arises in part from the drain of people to London and the SE (and some other magnet cities) due to limited opportunities in rural and post-industrial areas, and also the selling off of social housing, which makes it hard for poor people to find good accommodation. Finally, there is the problem of people buying properties as investments and leaving them unoccupied.

I respect your vote on the referendum, but I worry that people in the UK have settled on an outcome that will make things worse rather than better. Many of the problems I listed above have been ignored by the UK government for ages, and I don't see leaving the EU will change that. After all, people in the UK could have voted in governments that would have sorted these problems at any point without respect to events in the EU. All that was required was the political will to do so. Instead, they vote in Tories....

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Not quite.

Brexit was firstly and primarily a response to corruption, mismanagement, and the rejection of the oligarchy associated with "old Europe".

The people of the UK said enough. If you take the opposing view and wish to undo Brexit, not matter what your reasons, you will feed into corruption, mismanagement, and oligarch rule.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The Guardian has been collecting opinion pieces about the relationship of Brexit and racism. Here is another:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/01/brexit-racism-radio-show-immigrants

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The whole thing is a kneejerk reaction to Merkel's mishandling of the refugee crisis, and angst over the everpresent threat of ISIS. The issues of corruption and oligarch rule are just populist talking points fielded by people who have been opposed to the UK's entrance into the EU in the first place.