Brexit coming home to roost: Marmite disappears from UK shops

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Oct 14, 2016.

1. vrDrew, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Marmite is one of those quirky food items you will encounter in millions of British homes that, along with Jaffa Cakes and sausage rolls, really have no comparable US equivalent.

[​IMG]

Marmite is a savory spread, made from yeast extract, with a dark brown color, and a consistency similar to that of axle grease. It has an intense, tangy, salty, and not particularly pleasant umami flavor. For reasons best known to the Brits, despite its unappetizing appearance and taste, it remains a popular staple of British kids snacks and picnic lunches.

In recent weeks, a dispute between Tesco (a major British supermarket chain) and Unilever (the anglo-dutch multinational that makes Marmite) over price increases tied to the dramatic fall in the value of the British pound, has led to the product all-but disappearing from store shelves. Marmite is actually produced in Britain - but since its parent company publishes its financial results on overseas markets, it has raised prices to maintain margins and profits.

As of this morning, the Marmite crisis appears to have been averted. But the reality remains that Brits are going to have to get used to paying sharply higher prices for many such products.

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

4. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if this doesn't create more questions than it answers:

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

It is equivalent to peanut butter in the US. and non us people think the same of it.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I just ordered a bottle from Amazon because of you. So if you are a Marmite shareholder or whatever, it worked.

7. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

or on your bearings.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Amazon says it will show up Nov 10, so I guess it is shipping to me all the way from the UK via paddleboat.

Any suggestions other than toast? The bottle says something about using it for cooking, but that's extremely vague. I guess I will look for recipes.

10. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

As someone who has had Marmite and, being on an Apple forum, my second thought was, "is this a bug or a feature?" My first thought was, "this is the kind of hiccup that should be expected with such a seismic (and in my opinion, misguided) change as Brexit.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My personal reference is for the legendary "Gentlemen's Relish" (which you also spread very thinly on toast), but my late father did love Marmite.

I will say that it is one of those.......divisive things. Perhaps what might be charitably described as "an acquired taste". People tend to love it or loathe it.

But the story - while funny - is also rather revealing.

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I tend to prefer salty and savory over sweet. For example I'd love to have a plain pretzel with salt on it, but a cupcake with frosting on it is not tempting in the slightest. If I'm super hungry I might lop the frosting off into the trash and eat just the cake. It's not a health thing--I just don't like overly sweet food.

So @vrDrew's description of Marmite sort of stood out to me even though it wasn't meant to be flattering to the stuff.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As do I.

Hence, my love of anchovies, (I have been known to spoon them from a tin, and yes, am rather partial to Gentlemen's Relish - which is an anchovy paste); Marmite falls into this category, and won a niche for itself in he immediate postwar years, when, with rationing still in place, it was both healthy - and - to some - quite tasty.

As I said, my father loved it, on toast or crackers.

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Where'd the lady at 0:42 get heir hair dye from? Cool color.

I've said it before and will say it again, trade is inevitable. Made even more complex and convoluted thanks to "balance sheet issues" being multinational regardless of wherever the goo is made. Stop me if you've never read my saying "multinational" before... hah, you cannot.

But during the early instability caused by the change in the global market paradigmy thingy, costs will go up. "What the market will bear" will mean things will improve over time because it always does for everybody. For some fattening goo, that's one thing. Can people think of more important products that could lead to problems? Or if that matters, once the restructuring is done their country will improve again. Even as sovereign nations, they traded before and will continue to do so as the dust settles. Is it is that simple.

16. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This stuff is basically Peanut Butter ? Sorry I've never had it.

18. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

No we have peanut butter here in the uk, it's totally different but used in the same way...to make toast or sandwiches

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Another reason the Brexit was a great idea.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It's the equivalent of peanut butter if peanut butter tasted like absolute ****.

21. steve23094, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

This story turned out to be total bull. Unilever was just using Brexit as cover in an attempt to raise prices. I thought we had already learnt our lesson months ago when companies were trying to hide bad financial results in the same way.

1. Supermarkets renegotiate prices with suppliers all the time, it's never normally a matter for the media to report. Shame on them for jumping on the hysteria bandwagon without investigating properly (see below).

2. Unilever asked supermarkets in Ireland to pay the same 10% price hike. The last time I checked Ireland wasn't leaving the EU and the currency is the Euro. So the whole exchange rate excuse was just that, an excuse.

22. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Good gosh no, it's vile, a taste so rancid and offensive to the senses, it's disappearance will bring no sense of nostalgia from me. It's not just the taste, imagine the stench of marmite breath on a hot July afternoon on a cramped commuter carriage.

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

How would you know that? Horse or human?

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Whose ass? Might not be so bad in that case.

25. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Found the problem