brexit plunges England towards deep recession

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, Apr 28, 2017.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39743129

Well what we all said is now starting to take shape. It is insane when you think of it that a Daily Mail educated public votes to leave the EU like lemmings walking off the cliffs of Dover. This will make the crash of 2008 seem like a walk in the park as I reckon any which way we think of it will not even go part way to discuss it.

As us USAians are finding out, you get what you voted for.

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Wait till automation hits the kiosk at Mcadonalds and other fast food service areas

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

4. darksithpro macrumors regular

Never was a fan of the European Union. It became a political Union with the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels in charge of national sovereignty of EU members. Open borders, and an influx of millions of displaced Muslim immigrants creates an unstable atmosphere of potential terrorism. It's a total disaster ripe for chaos and terrorism. EU countries need to claim back their independence and control their borders, for the sake of their national security.

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

And just then, when the final sun was to set, Ringo and Paul reunited and lifted the spirits and her majesty's island kingdom out of the abyss. Bully for you, my lads. Bully for us all!

6. Zedcars, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017

Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

I'm a remainer. But I fail to see the word 'recession' mentioned once in that article, let alone a deep one. It could well occur, but surely the time to declare it as such is when it happens, or there is real evidence that it is imminent. Otherwise you are just perceived as a doom-monguring pessimist.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

That was predictable given the fall in the pound coupled with the still tariff-free trade within the EU but that fillip was only going to last until price inflation worked through the supply side of things.

At the moment, it is too early to say exactly how Brexit is going to play out, especially with a seemingly tactical election ahead but business abhors uncertainty, so fasten your boots. We are living in interesting times.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hey, just a correction but those in power were elected into it.

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

It's the new thing: show complete lack of interest in politics, not vote, and then complain their representatives were not elected.

One of the necessary measures if the EU is to prevail is classes from age 14-15 explaining its inner workings, consequences, etc. Also, harmonisation of the local politics in each country.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 29, 2017 ---
    It's already here. One year ago, most supermarkets in London had the choice (and I always chose the human cashier). Now, where I shop I usually only find only automated checkout tills with just one person to assist.

10. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

That would be 1.2% if continued over the full year, nothing to cheer about.

Far more interesting is tha the EU plans to finish negotiating only the divorce before even talking about details for the future.
    Puts a truckload of pressure on Ms May cos failing or just delaying here could lead to falling back to WTO rules.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

From the chart provided in your article the growth looks pretty anemic since forever.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Just realised it's only 'England' that is bound for deep recession according to the thread title. The rest of the UK is fine, phew...

13. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

The EU is made up of its MEPs elected by their constituents throughout Europe. Those "unelected bureaucrats" you read about in the Daily Mail are civil servants like any government has, including the English government. Nothing different.
    I think Thatcher referred to it as a "slowdown in the growth of the economy" before the country plunged into recession in the 80s. Let's not kid ourselves what's happening and why it's happening.
    Inflation will probably hit double digits in the next couple of years. Living standards are going to fall for most normal people who only have income in English roubles.
    England == UK. I think we've had this conversation before.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

So say UK then rather than picking one country within it. The recession would affect the whole of the United Kingdom, not just England.

It's bad enough when Americans refer to us as 'England' because half the time they have no idea what the UK is. Let's not promote bad habits.

15. Rigby macrumors 601

It is really sad that this nonsense is still being repeated. The main legislative and supervisory bodies of the EU are the European Parliament (directly elected by European voters) and the European Council (heads of state democratically elected in their respective countries). Whatever you think the EU has "forced" on you, your own politicians were part of it. The one positive side of Brexit is that soon the British politicians will no longer be able to blame their own failings on the EU.

16. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Voting for somebody isn't an across the board endorsement of all their planned policies. Some people voted for Trump simply because he acknowledged their existence when other politicians wouldn't, which is sad.

What people care about most is good paying jobs, and I don't know what other world leaders are doing, but Trump is attempting to achieve this through some Rube Goldberg polices that might result in more good paying jobs. Probably won't.

Job growth seems to be spurred by short term stock market speculation that benefits the rich and then when it unsurprisingly collapses everybody else gets hosed.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, recession or not (who can see the future?), what has happened due to inflation arising from the falling £ has wiped out the growth in wage increases, for Brexiters and Remainers (like me :mad:) alike. Also, the banks are moving personnel out of the UK, so there is reason to believe that tax receipts in the UK will go down.

Who'd thought that cutting the UK off one of the world's largest integrated markets would cause economic repercussions in the UK? What could possibly go wrong?

18. niploteksi macrumors regular

It's supposed to be a political union... that was kind of the whole deal with starting it. It was formed because ideas like yours were bad for Europe and faraway places like the US.

England First? Too bad that the consequences of Brexit are not going to be contained by a body of water. We are all in for a bit of a cold dip I suppose.

19. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

So this could be due to the kiosk and not brexit

20. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

You know what irritates me to no end? I'm going to tell you. Able bodied people who are too lazy or clueless to bag their own groceries when a bagger isn't available. They just stand there staring into space or flipping through their phone while the cashier does it. Worse still when its a couple and they are both just standing there dur dur dur. You're not saving somebody's job. You're just holding up the line.

21. juanm, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I never said it was due to Brexit (but it's not going to help either). Brexit hasn't happened yet, it'll still take two years or so. I live in the UK, and all I see is a bubble that dwarves the one I saw grow and then burst in Spain in the 2000s.

Those who really think Brexit (or any old fashioned obsolete protectionism à la Trump) will magically turn back the hands of time to a simpler age where everybody had a job are delusional. Globalisation and automation are part of progress, and they have both good and bad consequences, and you cannot fight them. What you can do is anticipate the bad, and do your best to cover your back (education, investments, etc).
    I'm a grown up, I bag my own groceries. I've never seen a bagger, for me it's like a elevator operator. I don't know in the US, but in every country I've lived, cashiers are not expected to bag your groceries. The only exception is when the client is unable to (old person) or when the client is struggling to keep up with the cashier, and at the end he/she helps you to bag the last items so you're out of the way faster.

The only high profile politician here in the UK I've heard bring up the danger of automation is Nick Clegg in this article:

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...e-unstoppable-march-of-machines-a3447611.html

You're going to have in the span of a few years: the actual consequences of Brexit, the housing/construction bubble will explode, and automation will keep on speeding up. Good luck.

22. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

23. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

England==UK?

Something good in England -> english
    Something good in Wales or Scotland -> british
    Something bad in Scotland -> skirt wearing weirdo
    Something bad in England -> european

24. weckart macrumors 68040

To be fair, Germany is the worst offender when it comes to calling the UK England.

25. Rigby macrumors 601

Try saying "vereinigtes Koenigreich" 5 times in a row and you know why. ;)