Brexit, the ongoing consequences

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Jul 19, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Here's some fallout (or a spinoff) from Brexit that was probably quite predictable: drastic upswing in British applications for Irish passports as a way of retaining EU rights and privileges.

The number of British people applying for Irish passports has risen by more than two thirds, indicating a continuing surge in Britons seeking to become citizens of Ireland following the Brexit vote.

Ireland’s foreign ministry received 51,079 passport applications from Great Britain and Northern Ireland in the first quarter of 2017, compared with 30,303 during the same period last year — a rise of 69 per cent. It received 250,000 passport applications from across the world in the same quarter.

The increase in demand is so large that the country's foreign department is said to be hiring extra staff and has launched an online passport renewal service to handle the number of applications.
    Of course it doesn't necessarily mean the new passport holders mean to emigrate to Ireland, so the bump in Irish citizenship doesn't actually translate to some mass exodus.
    Otherwise I'd put in a application right now to become a British citizen and take up someone's empty seat in Northern Ireland or elsewhere in the UK. My Irish kin came over here too long ago for me to apply for citizenship now. The way things are going with Trump I'd settle for living just about anywhere across the pond some days. :rolleyes:

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yup.
    It started (IIRC) the day when the result was announced.

Over here we've got this bloody Brexit nightmare, and you've got Trump (well, I guess we all share in that misfortune). :)

3. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Britons applying for Swedish citizenship increased 213% between 2015 and 2016. This year the applications are on target for a 350% increase above pre-referendum levels, if the trend during the spring continues the rest of the year.

In absolute numbers they're of course a lot fewer than on Ireland, but the effect is quite dramatic.

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Applying for citizenship elsewhere is great and all but only if you want to move to those countries, otherwise it's a bit of a protest action with no substance. I could qualify for an Irish citizenship but I don't want to live there despite wishing we were still in the EU.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not necesarily.

Passport free travel for holidays and freedom of movement to work and live throughout the EU as well as little things like EHIC etc.

After Theresa May and ilk get us well and truly screwed those things will be history.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think we'll still be able to work throughout Europe as far too many companies rely on it, including the one I work for. It's within everybody's best interests to maintain that freedom including mainland Europe.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Agreed, but I am uncertain sanity will prevail.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well good to read you're optimistic about our snowball's chance. :)

I just read the news and take note of the tub thumping from the Leavers.

Prognosis for an amicable outcome does not look good.

And no, I am not usually a pessimist.

This government's negotiators haven't got a clue.

In the meantime, I can't blame anyone trying for a bit of futureproofing to secure a back up plan for themselves — or their children.

Myself? I'm just glad to have a foot on both sides of La Manche.

9. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Population still grew by 500,000 in 2016. Wouldn’t hurt to lose a few more.

But Christ I wish they’d get this Brexit clusterfu** sorted asap. I’m at the point I don’t care if we’re in or out, I’d just want the divorce process to be over so we can actually start bothering about stuff that’s going on here rather than bickering in 28 different languages.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's more fun to bicker multilingually.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In a best case scenario sorting it will take 10 years. In a worst case scenario we run out of food - that's what EUreferendum.com (leave but sane) thinks.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just think, if the government hadn't taken away all our guns, we could stop it in its tracks...

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Believe it or not I have seen dickheads on Facebook actually put that across as a serious point lol. There are plenty of muskets on pub walls! Let's round everybody up! :p

14. niploteksi macrumors regular

I would have guessed that the applicants are people who actually need to be in those countries and are worried that it's going to get difficult post Brexit.

Yes, I have no doubt that people from the UK are going to be able to work within the EU and vice versa. But not with the ease of the pre Brexit times.

15. bandrews macrumors 6502a

You might run out of food. I’m a farmer. I’m fine.

16. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

mmm... but "no wall high enough" & etc. would seem to kick in after some point.

I hope it all can get squared away without too much disruption. I'm a Yank so try to stay out of it but busting out of anything any more seems like it has to cost near as much as it hauls in.

Still I do look back on the immediate aftermath of that referendum from afar and remember quotes about "I didn't think it would really happen" and I'm just appalled. The way I'm appalled at people in swing states who voted for Trump as a lark of "up yours, Washington!" and not from any particular feeling of having been left behind.

But you guys, like us, are apparently stuck with the consequences of a country having made a choice. I wish you well in your sorting out processes.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Personally I think we deserve it. Too many people have been ignored for too long.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Adding population is one way to grow an economy and, if the immigrants are young, to fund pensions and social programmes. Otherwise a country can fall into a demographic death spiral, like Japan, with not enough young people to support the old. Even if all the immigrants left, do you believe that this would solve the UK's problems? I am not a UK citizen, although I have lived and worked here for 20 years. I love the UK, but seems sometimes that we immigrants are blamed for everything, like simultaneously taking both jobs and benefits....

19. darksithpro, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

darksithpro macrumors regular

God bless Nigel Farage and UKIP party! You guys did the right thing for Britain!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It's all very funny until you live in the country affected by this nonsense. :mad:

21. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I prefer this clip but it might just be my short attention span.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Yep, that racist bandwagon jumper seems to be popular everywhere except in the UK.

23. bandrews macrumors 6502a

I didn’t say anything about immigrants. I’m totally pro immigration. But an increase of 500000 a year isn’t sustainable - especially when the main draw is London and when house building isn’t keeping up with demand you get overpriced tinder boxes like Grenfell. I was just saying if people are willing to jump ship and abandon their country rather than try to make a situation work, then fine, leave - plenty of people willing to take their place.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

OK, I apologise for misunderstanding what you were saying. However, there's plenty of space up North in the UK, the housing problem in London is due to lack of opportunities elsewhere in the UK and it exacerbated by people using housing as an investment, and no matter what the UK has to face up to the demographic problem of an ageing population. Thus, I am not sure people leaving the UK is the answer. Maybe moving within the UK...

25. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Maybe Northern Ireland will vote to leave Great Britain so they can stay in the EU. Would be nice to see Irish reunification.