Brexit: what did you vote?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jun 23, 2016.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

There's going to be no exit poll, but we know that our friends at MacRumors are more reliable than anything else!
    What did you vote?

(please abstain from voting if you did not vote yet)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

More or less, correct.
    We can say how we voted, but the poll included in this thread is strictly speaking illegal…

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...emain-leave-brexit-live-updates-a7094886.html

Remember, publishing exit polls before 10pm is illegal
    Section 66 of the Representation of the People Act 1983 prohibits the publication, before the close of poll, of any forecast, survey or estimate of how people have voted.

This includes postal votes (opinion pollsters ask how people have voted but they are not allowed to publish the results) and any kind of exit poll or on-the-day poll, but not what individuals say about how they have voted.

And it includes social media. So you are allowed to say on Facebook how you have voted, but you may not count up how all your friends say they have voted and publish that.

4. zin macrumors 6502

This thread could constitute an exit poll, which cannot be released until after 10 PM.

I'll play it safe. The last thing I want is Boris Johnson showing up on my doorstep bumbling about how unfair I've made the referendum.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

I'm not going to say, I only ever tell my closest friends and family.

But if you read my posts on here, its pretty obvious which way I voted.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

If anybody would've actually read this "poll" they would've noticed it's nonsenical.

7. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

grrrr... well I guess that mods should delete this thread then, I don't want anyone of you to go to jail or get fined.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2016 ---
    ahahha, true. I didn't notice and I created the poll.
    In my defense, it's 5AM and I haven't had coffee...

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh it won't be us in trouble it'll be you the Poll starter. ;)

9. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am in the US, and I will confess that a guy called arkitect, an infamous hacker and cyber criminal, helped me.
    We already know, and that's why we decided to throw away your vote and change it to the correct one ;)

(jk of course, no idea what you voted for)

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Infamy at last! :)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well I'm off to go and cast my vote.

There have been few more important days in UK history…

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I've voted remain,not that I support Cameron or the other bastards nor indeed the EU but in this case it's hold your nose and vote for the lesser of two evils.I heard Will Self saying on the googlebox "Not all leave supporters are racist but all racists will vote leave".
    Arf at Macrumors backing off from poll.The chances of anyone being bothered by it are precisely nil.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Probably depends on the jurisdiction where the counting and publishing is carried out.

15. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I will vote for the right choice: a UK that looks to the world, not just to Europe.

16. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Voted to leave, as I would be optimistic that with the right leadership, the UK could become more than it will ever be as part of the United States of Europe.

Pretty sure it will be a majority remain vote.

Which is probably fine, as I'm not sure where we would find the "right leadership" I referenced above, to lead us forward. I don't really have faith in any of the current political parties or the politicians within. So we may as well be governed by Brussels/Germany.

17. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How does leaving mean we look to the world?

19. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I can see so many arguments happening on this thread.

20. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Voted Leave, sick of the EU sticking their boot in.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You know that'll be worse while you negotiate a trade deal with them?

22. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I share your pessimism.

I expect Remain to win, which would be a shame. Here we are with our first chance to decide whether we want to be part of a United States of Europe, and yet we will probably choose to forfeit our opportunity for independence out of fear. I would love to be proved wrong.
    Strong and willing to stand on our own feet.

23. Eraserhead, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So we stand on our own two feet and then what? We won't have a trade deal with the EU or the US.

Or we stay in the EEA and still trade with the EU and still have to accept the immigration and all the regulation.

EDIT: Apart from the EU and US our largest trading partner is China with 7% of our trade. And I'm sure they'd love to screw us for the Opium Wars.

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Same thing as leaving the Earth and moving to the moon. Then you can "look at the world". ;)

Bit lonely, though. Not much air up there either. And did I mention cold and dark? :D

25. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Unfortunately, the term "trade deal" has been chucked about by many people without any understanding of the complexity of that term, and what trade deals really are. They are certainly not simple.

For example, the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) is the 'trade deal' currently under negotiation between the EU and the US. The CBI hailed it early on as a massive positive for the UK, bringing us £10billion benefit.
    However, it's not turned out like that. The negotiation was secretive and now leaks are showing that in fact it is a deal that requires all UK industry to be opened up to foreign control and competition, starting with the NHS. Effectively making the privatisation of the NHS not just an option, but compulsory.

Some parts of Europe want this.. they want US healthcare companies to come in and take control of their crumbling health service. But we blinkin well don't want this in the UK...

That's just one example.
    Don't assume EU trade deals are in our benefit.
    Oh, and before you say we can just 'vote against' the TTIP.. or veto it.

No.
    We can't.
    The UK government has no say in it.