Brian Williams demoted to MSNBC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 18, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, this spells the end of era of larger-than-life news anchors setting the national zeitgeist and (as I believe) ushers in a new era of self-curated news stream consumption. I am a man in his early fifties and I get 90% of my news from 1) Twitter, 2) numerous RSS feeds, 3) web sites, and 4) [a very distant 4th] broadcast news.

If someone of my age has mostly eschewed traditional news sources, then what must the younger generation be doing?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...williams-out-as-anchor-but-will-stay-with-nbc

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Meh, can't remember the last time I watched network news.

4. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Banished to the little kid's table at Thanksgiving.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When I graduated to the adult table at family gatherings, I wanted nothing more than to go back to the kids table. I'm 53 and it's where I sit to this day.

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I am right there with you. My Nephews and little cousins make it more enjoyable.

I doubt Williams feels the same way.

8. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

No kidding. Williams will be second-fiddle to Al Sharpton and Rachel Maddow. That has to sting.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Haha, didn't think about that.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I don't watch network news at all (nor have any intention to), but as long as he or someone can continue to rap Rapper's Delight or Baby Got Back for Jimmy Fallon, it can't be that bad.

BL.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Wow this is awful. He did embellish the story, but wow. I am biased because I do like b-willickers. If I were him I'd quit.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

First of all, he's under contract to NBC. Second of all, who would want him? He's damaged goods.

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. But sure I know it's cool to hate on rich successful people. So he embellished a story, big deal.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hating on rich and successful people? Where do you get that from? I liked Brian Williams and still do.

My statement is accurate. He embellished a lot more than one story. Who would want him? If he had options to go elsewhere, he'd hardly take a demotion to an also ran cable news network.

16. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I think NBC is deliberately humiliating BW so he'll ask for a joint voiding of his contract. They'd save $50 million and BW could move on to some other endeavor. I very much doubt that he ever actually appears on MSNBC.

17. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I bet he looked in the mirror and said I should have had V-8! No more war stories!

18. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Blah. It's fun to hang out with the kids. The only downside is that I can't drink at the kids' table. I don't like to do something they aren't allowed to do while hanging out with them.

20. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Very true.

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

The guy came out with some incredibly creative fantasies. Why not take over the Weekend Update stint on Saturday Night Live?

“Hello! This is Brian Whopper Williams!” wink, wink, elbow jab, elbow jab.

22. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Or he could take over for Jon Stewart to continue sharing his myopic self-serving viewpoint.

23. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That is certainly possible.

But its also possible that Williams might have the star-power - and this demotion, humiliating as it might appear, only increases his draw - to turn MSNBC into something worth watching. Because NBC certainly needs to do something with it.

Personally I think MSNBC's "lean forward" campaign - trying to brand the channel as a liberal/progressive counter to Fox News - is a mistake. Liberals/Progressives don't watch TV like Republican/Conservatives do. And MSNBC's horror show of weekend programming is execrable.

They say there are no second acts in American life. I disagree. Brian Williams sins, while regrettable, certainly don't strike me as mortal in nature. I hope he finds the strength to pick himself up and rebrand himself as a different sort of journalist. Because this country needs all the good journalism it can get. And the 5 o'clock network newscast lost its relevance for me - and millions of my fellow citizens - many years ago.

25. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan