Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnyG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I read numerous complaints about this on Reddit a little while back and ignored it but I’ve just switched my iPad on for the first time in a little while and it’s happened to me. I’m one month out of warranty. I’ve babied this thing and I’m pissed.

Basically it’s just a bright spot a couple of inches above the home button, particularly visible in portrait mode.
[doublepost=1536705430][/doublepost]Here’s another angle. I reitarate, I’ve babied this thing.

Attachments

• 1A661DE4-567F-4EF8-87EC-B3AE5A70B1CD.jpeg
    1A661DE4-567F-4EF8-87EC-B3AE5A70B1CD.jpeg
    632.6 KB · Views: 783
  • 15A76594-B890-45B8-B577-D6D173407AAE.jpeg
    15A76594-B890-45B8-B577-D6D173407AAE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 658
Last edited:

martdy

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2018
UK
Happened to mine at 14 months old ,luckily I had applecare and I was sent a new one .
I was in Macys NYC last week and while the other halves were looking at the handbags I was showing my friend the iPad pro 10.5 guess what - the same problem!
I'd be inclined to take it up with Apple as a known fault and claim under UK law

niklas-design

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Augsburg/Germany
Same issue on my iPad Pro 10.5 model appeared after 14 months.

Went to Genius Bar and they told me that i have only 6 months
warranty as a business customer. (No one told me that)
They offered me an exchange iPad for 430 EUR!
Genius: "yeah bad luck this happened to your iPad Pro, but its not so bad, you can
make a leasing contract and pay rates for your exchange IPad Pro!" *Smile*

I am very pissed. As my warranty expired i also ask them
to replace my IPad Pro 256GB/LTE into a lower spec Wifi/64 GB model,
because the screen is the most important part to me.

No Chance.
Cheers

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I was at the Apple Store the other day and I think 2 of the iPad Pros 10.5 in had that stain. I'd be PISSED as well because these things are not cheap.

topdog9000

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
I was at the Apple Store the other day and I think 2 of the iPad Pros 10.5 in had that stain. I'd be PISSED as well because these things are not cheap.

Just happened to mine as well. I bought mine on release day so it’s out of warranty now. I didn’t want to pay 450 for a replacement since the new one is out so I knew they didn’t do battery swaps in the store they actually just give a new iPad and it’s $99. So I went to the Apple store yesterday and said the battery was acting up I’d like to replace it. They said it will be a new iPad since they don’t open iPads in the store. Next he connected my iPad to run diagnostics which came back ok. While running the test he noticed the bright spot and was touching the screen around it and said this is because of a defective battery swelling inside putting some pressure on the screen above. He said even though it’s out of warranty this was considered defective and said they would replace the iPad at no charge. Excellent service. Not sure if it depends on the store or the tech you get but give it a shot and see if you can get a replacement.

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Same here.... you will find multiple post about it as it seems rather starting issue. I also notice this issue start spreading in French apple forum.i ll get my replacement tomorrow... hope I won’t get similar refurbished product

ivanputeraa

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
Indonesia
Just happened to mine as well. I bought mine on release day so it’s out of warranty now. I didn’t want to pay 450 for a replacement since the new one is out so I knew they didn’t do battery swaps in the store they actually just give a new iPad and it’s $99. So I went to the Apple store yesterday and said the battery was acting up I’d like to replace it. They said it will be a new iPad since they don’t open iPads in the store. Next he connected my iPad to run diagnostics which came back ok. While running the test he noticed the bright spot and was touching the screen around it and said this is because of a defective battery swelling inside putting some pressure on the screen above. He said even though it’s out of warranty this was considered defective and said they would replace the iPad at no charge. Excellent service. Not sure if it depends on the store or the tech you get but give it a shot and see if you can get a replacement.
My iPad Pro 10.5" also has this issue. However I never thought that this may caused by battery swelling. My iPad Pro also aged for about 1.5 years, so maybe its the cause. I will reserve and ask about this. Thank you for sharing your experience. Hope I can get a replacement for a cheaper price.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.