Brigitte Bardot fined over racial hatred

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jun 4, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Personally I think that's bull****. Everyone is feeling the 'pinch' of Islam, and she is perfectly in her rights to protest at their methods of slaughtering animals for some stupid festival.

:rolleyes:

2. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

Is France not a mildly racist country in the first place? This is just to save face as they could not be seen to publicly agree with its contents.

I also feel that that it should be a matter of give and take. In England we can not even fly our St Georges Cross in public in case we offend somebody in our own country. All religions, creeds and races should have the right to do what they want as long as it does not break the law. I also think this is more of an animal rights issue than a racist statement.

3. sananda macrumors 68020

what does that mean?

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Meaning no one is allowed to offend them while it is perfectly acceptable to mock anyone else.

5. sananda macrumors 68020

i can't say i'm feeling any such "pinch". how do you work out that no-one is allowed to offend muslims?

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do you remember that illustration of Mohammed? A hair dresser being taken to court because she wouldn't employ a Muslim who refused to remove their head thing...in a funky fashionable hair stylists(!). Muslim chemists refusing people morning after pills. It's ridiculous. If I think their opinions on certain matters are utter bollocks I should be able to feel free to say so, and not wind up in court for racial discrimination. Islam or anyone else.

I don't care what people believe, I do care when their bull**** impacts on others unnecessarily, and you're made to feel like you have to tip toe around them.

7. sananda macrumors 68020

that doesn't amount to "no one is allowed to offend them". you have just called a muslim festival stupid which is no doubt offensive to some muslims yet nothing will come of it.

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can see now that this is pointless. Most people with an ounce of common sense in this country will know what I'm talking about.

They're apparently fairly brutally killing animals purely for festivities sake, to me that's cruel and stupid. Of course I can say it here and there will be no repercussions, the point is that anyone on a larger stage couldn't without all hell breaking lose.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Where do you live that you don't notice this? Could you be being obtuse or are you just trying to make a point?

Muslims may be getting a bit of a bad rap lately but it's not completely innocent either. I get a distinct feeling of some them cramming it down our collective throats. Take for example the English teacher that wanted to wear a Burqa to teach small kids (helps to see your mouth when learning to form words) or the hairdresser who also wanted to wear something that covered her head whilst working at a hair salon, as well as not being able to be alone with men so she would have to be accompanied to wash their hair in the other room, etc. She was not a good fit but made a stink because she was not hired. Some women wanting to wear a Burqa for an ID photo. Etc. I don't feel anyone should have to bend THAT far to suit another religious background in a society that doesn't ordinarily practice that themselves.

but more on topically, I do agree that these animals should be stunned or something before being killed.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Bardot is right about one thing. The animals should be stunned before being killed. Religious practices quite rightly do not take precedent over the laws of the land.

11. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

I would not be offended if a muslim said that morris dancing was stupid. I might even agree!

People offend each other everyday but racism is a different level. If he does not like a muslim festival he has the right to say so and muslims should not be offended by that.

In the UK we accept all religions and we should accomodate there festivals etc and join in to learn more about cultures before making judgement. We all need to be more open minded I think.

12. sananda macrumors 68020

it is pointless if you're unprepared to have an intellectual debate in the thread you have voluntarily started.

if you can say what you have said here then your statement that "no one is allowed to offend them" is incorrect.

13. sananda macrumors 68020

i live in central london and my life is, is no way, impacted by islam either negatively or positively.

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Which would be fine if we were, and they could handle the criticism. There is without any shadow of doubt a great deal more sensitivity about what is said and published criticising or making fun of Islam.

Jews, Christians, etc, all fair game. Islam? No no no, racist.
    What are you, a politician? As I said, pointless.

15. sananda macrumors 68020

i came to discuss your post. you are clearly unprepared to do so in a reasonable way so i agree that this is pointless.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Then you might be verging on the obtuse then? I'm a londoner as well (outer) and my life is not directly impacted but I do notice that 'pinch' and don't always feel it's appropriate. (such as the cases I stated earlier)

17. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You're taking things far too literally, if all you'll do is pick apart anything said for any reason you can muster and not be prepared to generalise discussion - as I think is needed here - then it is, indeed, pointless.

When I say no one can offend Islam, I'm obviously not saying that anyone heard doing so will immediately be arrested and prosecuted, I'm amazed you'd need that explaining to you.

18. sananda macrumors 68020

but it was said earlier that EVERYONE is feeling this pinch. well, i'm not. no-one i know is. and that's my point. you may well be. and there is no doubt judging from recent election victories, newspaper stories, and employment tribunal cases a number of people who feel the same as you. but that's not everyone or even a majority, or reason to conclude that we're not allowed to offend muslims.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Isn't this similar in a way to the gay rights debate? If others are wanting their way of life to be treated equally and them doing so doesn't effect you directly, why does it bother you?

And I know there are extremists amongst them, as there are in every movement, but I'm talking about the 99.9% of people who just want equality, nothing more.

20. sananda macrumors 68020

i think it was a pretty explosive sort of daily mail sentence that you wrote. and that kind of generalisation which you seem to support is the sort of divisive comment that doesn't assist anyone.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

OK, you are taking it very literally. "everyone" = many people. Lets leave that bit aside though...

Do you not notice a distinct tendency towards expecting tolerance but giving very little tolerance in return? I do not find it fair for their beliefs to be pushed upon others when it is considered such bad form to do so in any other standard.

22. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

We've completely veered off on a tangent here, at the end of the day, all I'm saying is that Bridgette Bardot being fined for openly criticising the method they use to kill animals for a festival, and then to be successfully prosecuted for it by her home country is just the latest example of where Islam is getting unfair and preferential treatment/tolerance.
    I don't read the Daily Mail, I don't know what a daily mail sentence is supposed to be. How dare you generalise.

23. sananda macrumors 68020

alright leaving that bit aside (even though i do think it's very important), i simply don't notice the things that you mention, i don't find islam is being pushed on me or anyone i know. i have noticed the employment tribunal cases but they aren't in any significant numbers. this is not say that i don't recognise many people feel this way, i have encountered elsewhere a number of people who do.

24. Queso macrumors G4

I think the comment on her website that Muslims were "destroying our country by imposing their ways" might have had something to do with the fine ;)

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Fair enough. I don't feel all that affected by it but I do notice what feels like forced compliance and it kind of grates on my nerves a bit. I tend to get that way over any religious beliefs being loudly proclaimed though, just Islam being so different than what this country generally (and historically) practices makes it seem all the louder.