Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
If I want to bring 2 unopened iPads as carry-on baggages, will I violate TSA regulations? As some rumors said the iPads could not be shipped as checked laggage due to the nickel battery inside, is this real? Please kindly advise.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
As long as you run the bag they are in through the XRay you are good to go. However, Taiwan customs might nail you for duty. If you put them in your checked bag assume you either never see them again or they will arrive crushed/DOA. That way you won't be too disappointed.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Former TSA officer here:
You can bring the iPads in with your carry-on bag, but TSA reserves the right to unpackage them if they find any cause for concern (obviously this isn't an issue if you are not trying to keep them sealed/shrinkwrapped). Most of the time this is due to uncertainty at the x-ray machine. TSA officers are urged to call for inspection if they are uncertain of an x-ray image that could reflect dangerous materials; and lithium ion batteries tend to resemble dangerous materials under x-ray. If you really want to bring them as carry-on, I would pull the boxes out of your luggage and put them in a tray with nothing on top or below them. (don't stack them if you have more than one!!)

If you go this route, also be sure to stay within viewing distance of the iPads, and if at any point an officer asks you to step aside, tell them you do not want to lose track of your belongings. This way another officer will be required to grab your trays (after they pass through x-ray) and keep them where you can see them.

EDIT: if you want to bring them through as carry-on you will almost definately have to break the package seal. Unless you get a very laxed officer, an x-ray image of the iPad in box with the adapter and cable below it will look potentially dangerous to most proactive TSA officers.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
How about if I check them in a baggage with TSA lock?

The TSA lock just means that people at the airport have a key to open the lock without cutting it off if your bag gets flagged for inspection. If you check them, they will not arrive in Taiwan.

blueblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Former TSA officer here:
You can bring the iPads in with your carry-on bag, but TSA reserves the right to unpackage them if they find any cause for concern (obviously this isn't an issue if you are not trying to keep them sealed/shrinkwrapped). Most of the time this is due to uncertainty at the x-ray machine. TSA officers are urged to call for inspection if they are uncertain of an x-ray image that could reflect dangerous materials; and lithium ion batteries tend to resemble dangerous materials under x-ray. If you really want to bring them as carry-on, I would pull the boxes out of your luggage and put them in a tray with nothing on top or below them. (don't stack them if you have more than one!!)

If you go this route, also be sure to stay within viewing distance of the iPads, and if at any point an officer asks you to step aside, tell them you do not want to lose track of your belongings. This way another officer will be required to grab your trays (after they pass through x-ray) and keep them where you can see them.

EDIT: if you want to bring them through as carry-on you will almost definately have to break the package seal. Unless you get a very laxed officer, an x-ray image of the iPad in box with the adapter and cable below it will look potentially dangerous to most proactive TSA officers.

Thank you!

If I want to keep the 2 ipads unopened, what would be the better way for me to go?

1. Pull the boxes out of my luggage and put them in a tray with nothing on top or below them.
2. Put them inside my carry-on luggage and let them pass through the x-ray?

Thanks.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
How about if I check them in a baggage with TSA lock?

TSA locks are worthless. I can pick one in no time flat. No lie using a hair pin and a piece of windshield wiper metal that I bent to make a torque with.

Also you don't even have to pick the lock. You can use a ball point pin and up the zipper. Look it up.

All I'm saying I wouldn't put it in checked bags. You can do it and nothing may not happen but I NEVER put anything I'm not willing to lose in checked bags.

tkadrum

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
If you check them, may as well say goodbye and a early Xmas present for the airlines worker. You should google for "Open Pen Checked Bag Youtube" and you will find the shocking video.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
it's probably overkill here, but i remember photographers checked their equipment in locked cases with a starter pistol. since it's a firearm, the tsa is required to inspect everything at check in, and then you can lock it with real locks, not standard baggage locks. after that, the tsa is forbidden from opening the cases in transit.

or my memory could be failing me horribly...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Thank you!

If I want to keep the 2 ipads unopened, what would be the better way for me to go?

1. Pull the boxes out of my luggage and put them in a tray with nothing on top or below them.
2. Put them inside my carry-on luggage and let them pass through the x-ray?

Thanks.

2. Put them in your carry-on and let them pass through the x-ray. If TSA can't detect what they are they will ask you to put them in the x-ray alone or may ask you to open them but I've had my iPad in a briefcase w/ tons of other docs and never been questioned once.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
They may get opened to be inspected. And depending on Taiwan's duty requirements, you may have to declare them and pay a fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.