Bring A Chicken To The Doctor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Apr 20, 2010.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hahaha!

Remember a week or so ago when the Nevada GOP candidate for Harry Reid's seat suggested that people barter with their doctor as a way of bringing down health care costs?

Well now she's gone completely off the deep end, suggesting -- I **** you not -- that you bring a chicken to the doctor, or offer to paint your doctor's house to help bring down medical costs.

Feel free to mock appropriately. :D

(And I'll try not to start any more threads today, I promise!)

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, if you bring a chicken to the doctor he won't have to use his to cure you.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Good plan. I'll bring a $5 chicken to my doctor so he'll waive my $400 bill. :confused:

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'd choke my chicken if my doctor waived my $400 bill.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I bring my cock to every doctor's visit, but I am very hesitant to use it as a form of payment.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Can the doctor choke my chicken for me? Because the optometrist I went to a couple weeks ago was smoking hot.

8. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Hell I wish I could get a good chicken for five bucks.

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

My chicken is awesome! Or, so I've been told! :eek:

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's interesting... this situation is actually explicitly discussed in the psychologists' ethics code.

It doesn't come up much, obviously, in "civilization," but it does come up occasionally, as I understand it, in very rural areas. I've never heard of anyone bartering for services, but it was a topic in ethics coursework. Our policies have been slowly becoming more accommodating of barter, against fears that it would somehow endanger the doctor-patient relationship. Nonetheless, the "majority" view in psychology is that it is permitted primarily for use in very rural, under-developed areas, in which bartering for goods and services is common and individuals would be excessively deprived of services were it not available to them.

This site provides an interesting comparison between ethics codes of a number of healthcare providing fields. No overall physician's ethics policy is cited there, but as noted, the American Psychiatric Association does not discuss barter in their ethics, and from what I can tell, the AMA's Code of Medical Ethics also does not discuss barter.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It's quite common in the psychotherapy world at least in the U.K. it allows people without the financial resources to access what can be an expensive service.

12. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually, I've got nothing against bartering (indeed, what I believe this woman meant to convey was the concept of "haggling", not bartering), particularly for those who otherwise have no method of payment (of course, if that was the case, I would hope your health care was being subsidized, but that's another discussion :) ). I just don't think telling individual patients to attempt to negotiate a better price level with their physician is a sound basis for the lowering of overall health care costs. You'd turn the medical professional into something akin to a used car salesman, and if a few patients actually DO manage to negotiate the cost down successfully, the medical professional will need to make that up somewhere else.

Unless, of course, the suggestion from Lowden is that all the "fat" in the system is in doctors billing hugely inflated rates.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^No, of course not. That idea (that this kind of thing will really help contain the cost of healthcare) is absurd.

(sorry for the slight OT) ... Are you talking about co-payments, or is this psychotherapy that is obtained privately, outside of NHS? I've never completely understood how psychotherapy billing works in the UK.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Bartering is fine so long as you file your appropriate tax returns showing the value of what you gave and what you got.

If you don't, expect to get audited.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Private therapy outside the NHS,the NHS mainly provides CBT and CAT so the majority is done by private practices.Many therapists offer reduced rates or exchange for therapy e.g. painting,gardening,cleaning,art work or whatever so people with out much money can be seen.NHS therapy is free at the point of use.

16. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Keep an eye out for a 1040 with the name Lowden at the top. ;)

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

:p

[Hollywood Squares]

Peter Marshall: Say Paul, how can you tell if a chicken is a female?
    Paul Lynde: They're the ones that go, "A-doodle-doo!"

[/Hollywood Squares]

18. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I barter with my psychotherapist, and while I physically spend my time in populated geographical regions area I do occupy a much less populated area of society as far as my business and personal relationships are concerned. Most of the trade I'm involved in is barter based, but that did not happen all at once.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's interesting... is this in the US? I don't mean anything against it... it's just that whenever it came up at various universities during grad school, internship, etc, it was always sort of, well, these are the things to think about, with respect to bartering, but I don't know anyone who's done it.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Check it out: Chickens for Checkups. :p

There are even pull-down menus for your disease and what you're willing to barter for curing it. Freaking hilarious. :D

21. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I, for one, cannot wait to be among the barnyard menagerie in the waiting room while I'm sick.

This woman is Harry Reids new BFF.

22. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Yep, the US. One has to develop more of a personal relationship when leaving money out of the equation but it is possible. I won't assume it's possible everywhere in the US, or with everyone. I've never bartered for, uh, what to call it, medical treatment- for example last year I injured my hand and needed antibiotics so I went to a clinic and paid money. But I do swap organic produce (two days per week work on a local farm pays in more produce than I can eat) and occasional handyman work for regular psychotherapy as an even trade, with no money changing hands.

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

As I posted above it is common in the U.K. and as far as I know in the Psychotherapy world in general.I think it a good thing, in a humanistic field it makes a lot of sense.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Democrats should hardly be making jokes after the joke of a bill they came up with.