Bring back citizen Militias?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Oct 4, 2017.

1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Why not bring back voluntary local state citizen militias? I know some do exist but I am talking more organized local state supervised Citizen Militias kind of like the national guard but no federal funding/oversight(all local). They could offer training and some level of oversight WITHOUT federal interference.

As a gun owner I see positive and negatives to this but I am trying to throw out ideas.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

they are on the govt radar, got invited to one . you can be a militia of "one" ;)

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

There are tons of these, of various scopes and roles. Not all militias have to be guerrilla warriors though.

Neighborhood watch groups. Some just tell people to keep an eye out when walking your dog or whatever, some are more organized and have schedules for members to take a walk with a flashlight. The amount of training varies from none to an afternoon class or more. Indeed, wasn't Zimmerman a member of one of these?

Some HOAs have a members enforcement group. These are a sort of militia, especially the more powerful and larger HOAs.

Any kind of security company is essentially a for-profit militia (mercenary?)

4. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

I am talking about State sponsored/supervised. I know about the others, Alaska has them.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

black panther & antifa.

6. niploteksi macrumors regular

A bunch of civilian yahoos with guns... acting with what kind of authority?

In Sweden we have a Home Guard, but they are supplied and trained by the military branch. They don't run around with their weapons outside official exercises, as far as I know, and I'm not sure they are allowed to store their weapons at home any longer.

7. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

8. jerwin macrumors 68020

Bullets have an authority all their own.

9. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

Crazy as it sounds I am trying to think of ways to keep both sides happy and maybe limit events like this in the process.

I keep trying to think of a solution to this problem and I don't have an answer that will keep both sides happy.

10. niploteksi macrumors regular

Empowering nuts with grandeur though militias are not going to make school shootings and what you had in Vegas go away. Well... unless you collected every civilian firearm except bolt action / repeater riffles for hunting.

Then you could allow gun crazies to act out their fantasies in an orderly fashion, while keeping automatic weapons under lock and key.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yeah, it would be as effective as making drugs illegal :rolleyes:

12. 0007776 Suspended

If we can gut the Military's funding and replace it with these militias for the off chance that the US ever gets invaded I'ad be happy with this.

13. jerwin macrumors 68020

they would defend america against fifth columnists, subversives, unamericans, domestic enemies. On both sides.

14. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

Why stop at bolt action and repeating rifles can have very high rates of fire. Most hunting rifle calibers/cartridges will slice right through most bullet proof vests that law enforcement wears

15. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

Who gets to decide who's the enemy?

16. niploteksi macrumors regular

Not like a semi automatic. Besides, you'd have to be able to show that you use it for hunting and so on. But if you think you can have federal employees that keep the wild life in check, that would be even better.

17. jerwin macrumors 68020

Some disputes are best resolved on the field of battle.

18. lostngone, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

So now you want to ban all weapons expect bolt action and repeating rifles and force people to show they use those to hunt? Please show me where in the 2nd Amendment it mentions hunting?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    So if Citizen Militias are not the answer what other ideas can we come up with that will make both sides happy?

19. niploteksi macrumors regular

Non self-loading repeating riffles are fine.

I don't care about your 2nd Amendment. You constitution is ridiculous and not even holy in the slightest. Even less so than the Bible, so it's no brainer to rewrite it.

I suggested that if your idea would have any chance of actually working you'd have to get rid of the firearms. Not just let people play soldiers. That would have no effect on these mass shootings. I assume you were referring to them with "events like this".

People who want to play war can get a paintball gun instead of pretending they're protecting god and country against government or foreign agents.

20. jerwin macrumors 68020

If only the people at the concert had the means to respond.

[​IMG]

21. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

The constitution CAN be and HAS been changed over the years. The answer of "get rid of the firearms" is not going to make a lot of people happy and is most likely no going to go anywhere and we are going to sit here and have this happen over and over.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_defense_force

My impression is the difference between this and a play with guns in the woods militia club is that the State Defense Force would be a commitment and you’d be answering to your Governor, not some conspiracy theory crackpot wanna be warlord.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

liberals love gun free zones, this was one of them.

24. niploteksi macrumors regular

Since I don't think you are ever going to be able to get rid of your guns I think you're screwed. The only way to limit shootings is to get rid of guns in society. That means legal guns too, since they get stolen and put into circulation, or are otherwise used in shootings by people who just temporarily "went a little nuts" because of anger management problems.

Avoid crowds, wear protective vests, put locks and metal detectors in schools and get good home security. It's going to take generations, if ever, to deal with this problem.