Bring on the influx of net censorship in the UK!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 0dev, Nov 10, 2011.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Via BBC News

Utterly laughable they think this will stop piracy in any way, shape, or form, of course - how many other countries have tried and failed to block TPB now? However, the long term effects of being able to censor things so easily can only be bad.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The more we move into the digital age, and abandon traditional methods of expression, the easier it becomes for 'evil forces' to control private communication.

Damn, now I am jonesing to watch V Is For Vendetta again!!!

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Here's a blog post from TPB about a similar ruling in Belgium:

I'm using the standard DNS on BT at the moment, but I was still able to get into Newzbin 2 today. Maybe it's not actually been rolled out yet? Either way, I'll change the DNS if this keeps happening, and maybe I'll even move ISPs to one which doesn't give into this crap so easily.

BTW, when they tried this in Italy, Italian traffic to TPB actually increased! :cool:

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Simply blocking (or attempting to block) these sites and services do nothing. People will always find a way around them.

The solution is to provide legal ways of getting the content across all the devices that people use for a fair price.

There will always be a group of users that will pirate everything no matter what but if you make it easy enough to get the content legally some people will stop.

5. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Exactly. Companies which legislate rather than innovate never prosper as a result of that decision. As it happens, I am currently boycotting the big film and music corps because of stuff like this, and many others are doing the same.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just going to point out the flaw in the article about using another DNS. The ISP would not block them at that level but instead block the ip address. All DNS servers do is provide the ip address.
    The only way around it would be use a proxy server that is not effected by the blockage.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Judging by the traffic on this thread, either nobody really cares - or it's already working....:D

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I subscribed, and am reading with interest.

9. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

The system BT will at least use is Cleanfeed, and you're right, that isn't at DNS level. However, it only works on port 80, so affected sites need only to use an unfamiliar port (or simply set up SSL) for the censorship to become uneffective.

Other ISPs may very well use DNS level blocking, however.

Either way, two of the best options are a reliable VPN provider (which gives you the added bonus of encryption of all your traffic even on public WiFi networks) or switching your ISP to Super Awesome Broadband, which is expensive, but has no IWF or Cleanfeed and provides its own VPN too.