Bring on the iPad!!!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
when i hear the term investigative next to the term journalism, another term comes to mind, "tabloid"

and i use that term quite liberally, whether it is the national enquirer, people, or businessweek...all rubbish to me except that some of those mags only look more "official" and thus are really far more dangerous to the public

hinkhous

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
investigative journalism???

Mr. Hat,

I think you may have missed my point. I was merely bringing an article to the attention of anyone interested in the fact that Apple has been linked to a Taiwanese electronics manufacturer. Who linked the two? Well the article cites the Economic Daily News as their source. I found out that they are a Taiwanese newspaper, so the validity of the story is doubtful. The story did catch my eye though. That was why I brought it to the attention of anyone who might have been interested. Keep reading those tabloids though!!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
taiwan

hinkous,

you had me going...

i am on the computer hardware side of things, although on the bottom of that food chain however, but take a peek under any apple laptop and see where it was made

as a matter of fact, see where a lot of components and computers were made

not only is taiwan more cost effective, i heard they are better high tech assemblers than anybody in the world

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: taiwan

...and also judging from my students in my networking class or the college class i help tutor in A+, i am glad we are not the ones who have to put the stuff together...yikes

...and i found out why programmers drop out of the class at twice the rate of anybody else, i guess god gave them the amazing gift to code those difficult passages yet took away their dexterity in return (every semester there is a student "programmer" who refuses to switch out cards in a pc because of a fear of being shocked!...and its always a programming student?!?

in the only two years of being a techie in this field in and around silicon valley, i have only met a couple of people who truly excel at both the sotware programming and apps user side and the hardware side

and the techies in the know keep on commenting how impossible it would be to continue assembling operations in the valley (and make a profit) like it once was in the old days...though some manufacturing goes on here, i run into more chip designers and software engineers than anything else...a lot of hardware and chip building has been moved to asia, including taiwan

i do have a retired client who used to be in the IT assembling field in the old days and she told me what a wiz she was at soldering...a skill no longer required to be a pc tech as well as not needing a tech based bachelor's degree which a lot of hardware techies used to be when there was math and multimeters involved in diagnosing problems (we only had to do that math co-processor stuff once in school and i am glad if i never have to do that sh@@ again!)

but hey, without the software people (programmers, graphic designers, office app users) there would be no hardware people (desktop techs, systems admins, chip desginers) and vise versa

well, so much for my philosophy of the ugly valley and my love-hate relationship with San Josie, the place that used to have beautiful orchards and no smog

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-07-2001 at 11:42 PM]

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
disregard any harsh sounding comments

...but it must be one of those left brain/right brain type of phenomenons where most people who are techies either gravitate towards software or hardware, but rarely both equally