bringing ibook to europe - what adapter/converter/transformer do i need?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dubbed, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. dubbed macrumors newbie

    Jun 27, 2004
    couldn't find any information on this really, i went to a few stores today and they said it should be ok to just get a converter which only changes the shape of the plug so it fits into euro outlets, but doesn't change the voltage.
    is this sufficient? i won't fry my computer will i?

    i know apple sells that worldwide adapter kit, but it's expensive, and i don't need all the countries it comes with..
  2. C-Mezak macrumors regular


    Jul 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Im going to take my powerbook to the UK soon as a student. I went and bought the world travel adapter kit and I really like it. It;s seemless. I dont know about this, but I would try looking on ebay or another classified place for the european parts on their own. It's really better to go with what will simply work when youre travelling. 40 bucks might be worth the certainty that you arent hurting your machine!
    good luck
  3. sahnert macrumors 6502

    Oct 20, 2003
    go to radio shack and just get a little pack of plug adapters. You don't need a transformer or anything. The power adapter has switchable voltage so all you are getting with the apple travel kit are the different plugs. you can get the same thing at radio shack for ten bucks
  4. micsaund macrumors 6502


    May 31, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Magellan's is a fantastic place to order from for travel goodies, and sure enough, they have a boatload of different plug adapters for you:

    You can probably get-away with the first item (the 4 plug set for $7.85), but you'll want to ensure that's what you need yourself. But, have a look around their site - there's lots of "neat" stuff there (kinda like when I go into a kitchen store and get caught in the gadget section ;) )

  5. abhishekit macrumors 65816


    Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    Exactly. The voltage range of the power adaptor is 110-220 V. So you don't need to worry about it. You just need a pin-adaptor, as the shape of pins in US and UK are different.

  6. dubbed thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 27, 2004
  7. zimv20 macrumors 601


    Jul 18, 2002
    my g3/800 ibook came w/ the UK-style plug. the power supply is designed to take either style and came w/ both. are you sure you don't already have the necessary kit?

Share This Page