Bringing in a young female Shih Tzu into household with another pet.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Mar 10, 2009.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The other dog, and only pet we have is a male 3 year old Shih Tzu. Both are fixed. This is a very loving dog but from a well known breed famous for being stubborn. You Shih Tzu owners out there know what I mean. ;)

Any tips from you Shih Tzu owners? The two times the dogs met, they were OK with each other. How do you introduce another pet like this? House is 800 sq. ft with 1500 sq. ft. fenced backyard in rural/sub-urban neighborhood.

The female dog was abandoned with other litter mates.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Neither dog had a say in the matter here :p
    Our dog (Labradoodle-ish) was very calm though and accepted anything, the Shih-Tzu (my grans) liked to play around with our dog. Both got on great but meal times could be troublesome, since our dog thought she was entitled to both dinners, heh. Though the Shih-Tzu is quite emotional. You can't leave her alone with her crying and she has to sleep in her basket in bedrooms (unlike the other dog who used to sleep downstairs).

If they both got on okay then that's a good sign. I wouldn't worry about it. Just stick em together and be done with it!

They make for great companions.

3. PCsucks macrumors member

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

thank you guys for the responses. i think that is so funny, my shih tzu has no clue he is not a pitbull, but he assumes he is king of his jungle!

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Just give them time and make sure they have their "space". Usually I find that taking both outside after introduction is a great way to break them in.

I have two myself, male and female, black and whites. I think my mom has fourteen currently; she shows and they travel by motor home.

Really it all comes down to time, guiding the new dog to "her" bowl so she doesn't upset the older dog and also making sure to pay attention to the older dog too.

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Again, thanks for the tips. The animal rescue organization approved our house and most importantly our yard as it is escape proof. We may see the dog at our house this weekend and we will see how this meeting goes.