Bringing my 3 year old iPhone 2G Original to use in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by machone, Dec 4, 2010.

1. machone macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've had my U.S. iPhone 2G (original) since maybe 3 years ago, and am going to Hong Kong for awhile (might actually settle down there) in two days. I'd like to use the same phone and I understand that HK has the EDGE networks as well. Since I bought my iPhone from an authorized iPhone dealer in the U.S., I understand it's also locked. I know that some of you may suggest for me to get the iPhone 4, but I've decided I'd like to keep my existing phone for a bit longer. My iPhone has never been jailbroken either.

What are my options in this case? What are the specific steps I'll need to take to be able to use my iPhone 2G in Hong Kong (I'm open to jailbreaking it, if it's the only option)? I've searched this forum for prior threads on this subject but did not see a post. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,
    Mach

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Well, to use your U.S. iPhone over seas you have to unlock it. What iOS is your 2G on?

3. machone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. :) My iOS is 3.1.3. With all things considered, what's the best way to unlock my iPhone 2G? and what are some things I should consider being doing so?

Thanks-

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You need to jailbreak then unlock your iPhone to use it in HK. Since you didn't tell us which fw your phone is on, we can't help you on that yet.

However I can help you to choose your carrier.

If you are planning on using data, avoid Three (3HK) at all costs. They do not have an EDGE network set up and you will be using their slow-as-heck GPRS network. Their coverage is quite poor indoors, so try to avoid 3HK.

China Mobile (People's) has the smallest network. Thus coverage may not be optimal. They seem to have the best prepaid plans though.

Personally, I would go with either PCCW, SmarTone-Vodafone or CSL. Ask about their rates in-store since I haven't used prepaid for quite a long time.

Of course, if you already know which carrier you want to use, then disregard this post :)

EDIT: Since you're still on 3.1.3, use redsn0w. Instructions should be available on iClarified.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Redsn0w. Here's a guide on how to do so: http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436

6. machone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you! The "Modem Firmware" of my iPhone's Settings > General > About says 04.05.04_G

Let me know if that's the fw number... (Or did I already answer your question with 3.1.3?)

And no I've not decided on a carrier yet - Thanks for the heads up! Your suggestions are definitely noted. :)

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Modem firmware on the iPhone 2G doesn't matter anymore. Apple stop carrying about the 2G for a long time. So you can unlock it no problem.

When you do unlock/jailbreak, you have to remember not to restore your iPhone in iTunes, or you'll lose your unlock.

8. machone thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah... I see. Does that mean after unlocking/jailbreaking my iPhone, I can never restore my iPhone again (if I wanna keep it unlocked)?

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yep.

10. machone thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. Then if I really need to restore, do I simply follow the same jailbreak + unlock procedures again to re-jailbreak/re-unlock my phone?

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You can restore all you want- you just have to go through the jailbreak/unlock procedures again, otherwise it'll be ATT locked ;)

12. machone thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I just realized that the unlocking process requires my iPhone to be reset to factory condition (as per the iClarified instructions page). I also know that I should never restore again because that'd re-lock my iPhone.

In this case, how do I "restore" my 3 years worth of pictures, videos, music, and other data once I've unlocked my iPhone? :confused:

I mean, it seems like unlocking = losing all your prior data forever... Is this true? Is there any way around this? Can't I have an unlocked iPhone AND keep all my data as of today?

13. machone, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

machone thread starter macrumors newbie

I googled, and it says, after I'm done jailbreaking, "Just choose the option to set up as a new phone. The it'll make you enter a name for your phone...and then you can go ahead and re-sync. It won't erase your jailbreak."

Can anybody kindly confirm this? If I really follow that procedure, how would I know my phone WASN'T re-locked? How do I test my iPhone in the U.S. to see if it's unlocked?

Thanks!

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

As previously stated, you can restore all you want. You just have to re-do the jailbreak/unlock instructions to get it unlocked again.

I think you have to set up as a new phone. Not sure. Back up all your pics/vids/music before restoring obviously.

Try asking one of your T-Mobile using friends if you can borrow their sim card for a quick test. Otherwise... go buy the cheapest prepaid card from a TMO shop to test I guess.