Britain bans Pastor Terry Jones

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hugh, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Britain bans Pastor Terry Jones.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/01/19/britain.terry.jones/index.html?hpt=T2

And he says he is going to fight for his right to travel. But what this guy doesn't get is, if the Britain doesn't want him there they don't have to allow him. At least that's what I'm assuming Britain can ban any one from entering their country. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Hugh

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Good, ban the hypocrite. Too bad we can't ban him as well but he's one of our own. Did britain also ban the dude that helped passed the death penalty for gays in uganda, and then opened the coffee shop in Massachusetts and hired a child molester to manage it? i forgot the douche bag's name.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Britain already has Terry Jones, what would they want with another one?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I do not think this is a good thing. You should not be barred from entering the country just for the views you hold. Let him come, let him be discredited.

This is a slippery slope, if ever there was one. For example:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/man-arrested-after-koran-burning-in-carlisle-2189707.html

The charge, "using racially-aggravated threatening words" is complete nonsense. Islam is not a race.

5. Queso macrumors G4

I've never seen the point of banning people from the UK for holding opinions. Let them come, shout their beliefs and be scrutinised for it. The British public are very good at sneering at those we don't respect. Mr. Jones could do with some of that.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Get it together with this stuff, Brits. ;) Banning people for having opinions is definitely not a good thing. Do not set this precedent. It'll get you into a whole heap of trouble.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

He had been invited over by the right-wing group England Is Ours to speak at a series of demonstrations against the expansion of Islam and the construction of mosques in the UK.

I would imagine they would have covered his travelling expenses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12231832

8. Queso macrumors G4

England is Ours eh? Funny how a quick Google on that name only returns more information about this story. I wonder who's really invited him...

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The EDL had originally asked him over but withdrew the invitation "because of his critical views on homosexuality and race." :rolleyes:

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

"England is Ours" is nothing much other than a website,possible EDL connections definite BNP connections.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Ah, perhaps Griffin's Incredible Shrinking Army then. That would definitely make sense. The only question would be which is more desperate for attention, him or Jones.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What next, will the US ban a popular British folk singer because he is a Muslim?

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

In the broadest sense I agree this is a bad idea. More narrowly, Jones has established a pattern of behavior in the US that would be illegal in the UK. Argue whether those laws are appropriate, sure, but the banning is at least consistent.

On the other hand, these repeated preemptive bannings of high-profile foreign jackasses smells strongly of grandstanding.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They've been banning musicians who criticise the US government for years.

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

16. Queso macrumors G4

Ah, but you see, no we can't :D

17. remmy macrumors 6502a

Suppose it makes up for sending Piers Morgan your way.

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Consider Pastor Jones our formal apology for destroying all of your tea:cool:

19. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I can see why you wouldn't see a problem letting him in. He really isn't doing anything that other people in the UK aren't doing already. But doesn't a country have the right to allow or disallow a person from entering.

I didn't paste the entire article (should have I?) but it also says that he was doing a book tour. I guess he has a book. :/

Hugh

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Impossible. That would never happen.

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

In retaliation the US will now place a ban on:

[​IMG]

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

23. Queso macrumors G4

Just as long as you all keep buying her albums. Now North Sea Oil is drying up Scotland's economy needs something new to export.

24. fivenotrump macrumors regular

and yet

the UK allows in such preachers of hate as Zakir Naik, very odd