Britain has passed the 'most extreme surveillance law ever passed in a democracy'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Populism, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Rest of the article here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/snoopers-charter-expansive-new-spying-powers-becomes-law/

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Expect this to happen in the US with the dorito fascist running the show now.

"Freedom" is dead. Welcome to the 21st century of global authoritarian police states.

3. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Why do they need to do this in the U.S.? Do you honestly believe they are not already doing this?

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

5. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Best map I could find....

[​IMG]

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Oh they are. But they will continue to pass more laws and expand it. That was my point.

People need to stand up and decide what kind of country they want to live in before it's too late. If it's not already...

7. Populism, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

Populism thread starter macrumors regular

Populism

Why do you derail this thread to be about the US (in Post No. 2)?

Maybe I only speak for myself, but aren't people sometimes interested in things outside the US? Not everyone is from the US, ya know?

8. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

"China mode" is rapidly expanding throughout the entire world. I mean, from massive surveillance perspective.

Only thing I want to say is nowadays people are way weaker than those experienced war and total destruction. Of course, mentally weaker than before.

But also perhaps those governments fear those terrorists would risk their position. Riot, insurrection like that. Just random guessing.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama already set the precedent for the Commander in Chief ordering the extrajudicial assassination of U.S. citizens. Mass surveillance is the logical next step.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Will dear leader put a stop to it when he drains the swamp?

11. jerwin macrumors 65816

I think he will end up setting powerful forces in motion.

12. NeilHD macrumors regular

This law was the exact reason I didn't want May as PM - it is a horrid, invasive law.

Luckily, it is also one that is easily enough to get around (at least at home) with a VPN.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Time to start encrypting everything. The most important thing to remember in the upcoming troubled times: #*&TEDYGOUFD*&385654380hdhhg.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    Where's NC?

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I think the reason we had true balanced freedom in the past is because there was no internet.

We have evolved as a society so intense the last ten years due to the internet that our very notion and motive for civilization has changed.

Our society is getting destroyed by information overload. We cant look at this through the eyes of "freedom" but though the eyes of "self preservation"

How much is this all damaging our future way of life? We have to reign it in at the expense of freedom.

The internet isnt information in the traditional sense. Its like the wal mart of character and society, because its so massive, nothing else has a chance to co-exist naturally and organically.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The point is that in the us unless is terrorist related it can't be used in court of law.

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

You are right, that information wouldn't be directly admissible in court but it doesn't mean one agency doesn't whisper to another and say hay you might want to look at someone. Courts have been known to give search warrants based on anonymous sources.

18. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's not just about it being used against you legally. It's your privacy at stake.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Sure, but at least that is a gov court issue. With stuff like in the uk law I can see the private sector checking data for breaches and streaming and many other things like selling that info to others and hackers.

It's about being used against you. There is no privacy on the Internet. You want real privacy you become a cyber ghost and don't use it. We are all constatnly recorded, it's just a matter of who is going to use it.

20. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Just like with everything there are levels of privacy. We shouldn't be willing to give up any level without a very good reason.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I don't get too concerned about this because; I'm not a Paedophile, a terrorist, I don't have an interest of bomb making or guns, I'm not a human trafficker etc etc.

If the government want to view my eBay, Mac Rumors account, or Facebook, Amazon, then they are welcome.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Get your money back mate.

23. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

First they Came...

24. NeilHD macrumors regular

Ah the old "If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear" line. Do not even go there. This is exactly the line that Mrs May will spin. I presume then you also have no problem with the government openly listening to all your telephone calls? Or having access to all your email. And your postal mail. And putting cameras in your house or being allowed in whenever they want. How about tracking your car at all times? Or putting a tracker on you? All of these things are a breach of your privacy. This is merely the thin end of the wedge.

But you'll be fine, sure. Until, of course, one of your kids being a bit curious googles for "sex". Or whilst doing his homework on WWII googles "Bombs". Of your wife searches for fertiliser. Or perhaps someone else manages to get on your wifi and searches for really nasty stuff.

Personally, I will be setting up a permanent VPN solution within my router at home.

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

My view too, she wasn't even elected to power!