Britain leads world [#5 actually] in police state survey

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jun 1, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Register.

Well that's just spiffy. Number 5 behind the likes of China, North Korea, Belarus and Russia.

Yanks shouldn't be too happy either, they're just behind us poor sods at number 6.

Side note to government monitors reading this: Up Yours™

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

To be fair England and Wales are at number five with Scotland in thirteenth. I wouldn't worry too much about it the more information they have the more they're confused by it.
    Cyrptohippie appears to be trying to make money from paranoia.

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The problem is that confusion does not mean inaction. It means false positives, seeing threats that do not exist, which are even more intrusive upon the rights of the "suspect" and very costly for the state.

This tendency is compounded by the way officials feel the need to justify the existence of a massive surveillance apparatus, and by the way suspects thus identified tend to get railroaded because of their PR value in accomplishing that end.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Though the implications need not necessarily be dire, it was the technologies of the Industrial Revolution that brought us Fascism, Communism and Totalitarianism. It also advanced Democracy and Human rights, it should be remembered.

Who knows what new forms of governing ideology and practice this era could bring.

It could just bring paralysis via a bureaucracy dealing with a glut of data. Who knows...

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I just download the whole spreadsheet and frankly the survey is absurd.

The UK (and a number of other developed countries) score the same as North Korea on "Gag order" which is the following:

If you revealed in North Korea that the state was searching someone's records you'd probably just disappear. Ditto Russia which scores better :rolleyes:.

That really isn't the case in the UK or any other rich developed country by any stretch.

We (along with lots of other developed countries) apparently rate as highly as North Korea on that one too :rolleyes:. In the UK the police get investigated when they hit a man at a protest and he dies and parliament looks into it - In North Korea they just disappear.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

See what happens when cops don't carry guns? The Eye(s) of Sauron. :)

I'm not sure how I feel about all the surveillance in London (in particular). Mostly I think I wouldn't care. But I don't have much practical experience with it. Locally, the police spent a mint on a camera system (that doesn't work) to try and cope with high drug & prostitution areas. Also, on red-light cams. Personally I only run red lights when I'm dropping off a hooker and getting some crack. But they haven't caught me yet.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Your avatar is causing my to go into epileptic seizures. :D

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You sure it's not crack seizures? :)