British government ditches "insulting words" crime

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Jan 15, 2013.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

bbc

Nice to see they finally pulled their head out their arse on this one. :)

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

They only withdrew it because of it's obvious ridiculousness unfortunately it's covered by the other two terms in the law.It's similar to the U.S. "a land of many laws randomly applied" i.e. if they want to arrest you they will,stretching the legislation to fit the situation.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'm sure this change, along with cutting the starting salary for a police officer by £4000 down to £19K, will ensure only the best, most motivated individuals are recruited to the UK's police force. Sorry but I've seen too many police officers be abused by drunken louts who hide behind the fact the police can't kick the cr*p out of them like anybody else would. Maybe the 'insulting' terminology should be reserved when the target is a public servant like police, fire, ambulance, nurse or doctor.

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Broadly I think this is a good thing, it sounded to me a bit of a murky area of the law.

This is true in every country in the world, that if the police want to arrest you they will, and there is nothing that you will be able to do at that moment. It's only when you get into the Justice System, that the finer points of the law are held up for scrutiny.