British MP Killed In Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by adroit, Jun 16, 2016.

1. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Very sorry to hear this.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/0...ounded-in-shooting-stabbing.html?intcmp=hpbt4

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well you can't buy them online from most retailers. And there are age restrictions.

But there isn't much you can do as you need them for cooking.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Be thankful that a nut-case like this was able to hurt people only within an arm's length with a knife - but it sounds like he shot her as well.

Godawful news. :(

EDIT: FWIW one cannot carry a knife in public in the UK with a blade >3" unless one has good reason.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

their country/their rules.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think you need to go to bladeforums.com and talk to the English folks there. You guys have some strict knife regs but they still have most of the stuff that Americans have they're stuff is new so it has to come from somewhere

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its very sad, she worked as a humanitarian aid worker before becoming a MP, and leaves behind a husband and 2 young children (3 & 5 I believe). RIP.

Just a small point with the quoted bit of the article, Britain First isn't a "slogan" used by the Brexit Campaign, its a far right organisation, I would even go as far as to call it on the verge of being a neo nazi organisation, but I know a lot of people would disagree with that description.

Here's a better article than faux news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36550304

--- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2016 ---
    Knives are still widely available to order from online from the EU and the US here. Obviously you can still buy knives, I think the rule is its illegal to carry a knife with a blade over three inches in public without good cause when asked to account.

Its worth noting though Jo was stabbed and shot, and early reports are saying it was a homemade gun, there is a illegal market for homemade guns, old WW1/2 weapons and converted starter pistols. But lets not turn this into Americans bleating on about gun control eh? Its a bit tasteless.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

11. deany, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Please,
    This is extremely sad news about the passing of Jo Cox MP in the UK. It is far too soon after her passing to discuss whether it was politically motivatived.
    Please respect the family and friends at this time and pray for them.

Jo Cox MP

22 June 1974 to ∞

Rest in Peace.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I thought that friction folders and slip joints were all that were legal to carry there but the brits seem to have a fine taste in those as well as everything short of the autos that I like to carry.

TBH I don't know if they actually carry them or not but to spend a couple hundred on a regular production folder seems kinda silly for a safe queen.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It clearly was politically motivated by a far right group.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have been following this story closely since it broke a few hours ago.

By all accounts Jo Cox was a brave, bright, decent, hard-working, idealistic MP who had just finished her weekly constituency surgery in the town of Birstall - where she met with constituents - when she was attacked. From what I have read, her attacker shot her three times and then proceeded to stab her.

An appalling act, one which didn't just slaughter a promising and principled MP, - and yes, a mother of two young children - but also an act which attacks one of the very foundations of the way democracy is practiced in the UK, where it is expected that MPs be available to meet openly with their constituents.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am happy to say that I have absolutely no idea what any of this means.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nationalistic *******s. So sad.

How long until we have a similar situation here with some nut screaming Make America Great as he executes someone?

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

From what I've seen the protesters against Trump and his supporters are more violent than the Trump supporters. :rolleyes:

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hopefully quite a while since that Bundy ranch family is facing a host of charges...

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There has been plenty of violence from Trump supporters at his rallies. There have also been a few incidents around the country.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hopefully never. We have enough people screaming "Allah Akbar" as they execute crowds of terrified Americans.

21. bandrews macrumors 6502a

ffs guys, it always comes down to America and Trump vs Clinton. A british MP gets killed by some "patriotic" nut job and the first thing you do is go making it about you.

Not one person yet has said "terrorist". Why? Because he's not brown? Not wearing funny clothes and speaking a foreign language?

Radical islamists are scum. Radical nationalists are scum. Can't we all just agree on that and leave the effing US election out of one thread?

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You should probably aim this statement at Rdowns who was the one who injected Trump into this. ;)

23. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Sorry, my apologies.

But yeah, point still stands.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

In case you relent, there is an active knife collection community. There exists hand-made knives of such high value, they are like the un-played guitar on This is Spinal Tap - knives that will see no cutting use whatsoever and that are often kept in safes. (Safe queens).

One such knife:

http://www.knifeart.com/ziptighe.html

25. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Jo Cox was indeed an idealist. I don't agree with her politics at all with respect to what she wanted to accomplish. Her death remains a tragedy as civilized nations rise above the brutality of murder to gain an advantage.

RIP Jo Cox.