British police are now carrying firearms?!?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Aug 6, 2014.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

How can this be? On an island where gun laws are so strict why would the police need to carry sidearms???

Can a citizen of the U.K. even legally own/keep a handgun in their home?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28656324

"In a little-noticed move, a small number of police officers are now routinely carrying sidearms while on patrol in parts of the mainland UK. How did this come about, and does it alter the relationship between the constabulary and the public?"

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

OMG somebody better tell them that having a gun increases their chances of death.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Now granted policing is done a little different across the pond, I wonder how many cops would walk off the job if their guns were taken away in the US?

5. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

Doesn't come as a huge shock. Isn't gang violence up in London?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Sounds like a great idea. No more innocent bystanders getting shot by trigger happy cops:D

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ha.. I could see almost every cop in the US walking off the job. Talk about Anarchy. :eek:

8. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No.

There can't be.

JKCerda has sworn that the U.K.'s culture is completely different from the U.S.

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

So what? You are trying to find some sort of correlation aren't you?

11. zin macrumors 6502

It is shameful that you chose to quote the part of the article that only supports your view. Later in the same article it clarifies the part you quoted:

I also live in the UK so I am qualified to make objective observations. Each police force in England & Wales (as well as Scotland's national force) has its own small armed officers division that they can call upon at any time. These officers don't simply sit at Police HQ waiting for calls, and the article is right. They are normally out and about performing regular patrols. Quite frankly I see no issue with them carrying their firearms whilst they do this, as this in no way implies that an entire police force will be armed.

The title of this thread is also grossly misrepresenting what has happened and you should request that a moderator change it. Your post and title imply that British police officers are being armed and patrols are now routinely carrying firearms. This is false, a fact which is even stated in the very article you sourced (bold emphasis added by me):

It is purely a coincidence that somebody managed to photograph an armed patrol that just so happened to be on normal duty at the time and doesn't at all represent the norm.

In addition, armed police officers are not only needed to combat (fire)armed criminals (there are very few of them in the UK). Armed divisions are also dispatched for those carrying other dangerous weapons such as chainsaws or machetes, so not everything is a matter of 'guns or no guns'.

The article even mentions that an overwhelmingly majority of police officers do not want to routinely carry firearms, despite some being involved in potentially life-threatening situations.

So what exactly is the point of this thread if everything you wrote is purposely misrepresenting and only intended to score 'pro/anti gun points'?

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

crumpets & tea with their pinky up in hte air VS coffee :)

why would such a developed nation as the UK need guns? ALL cops should be disarmed:D

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Before you posted that article, did you even bother to read it.

It clearly stated that the general population and the majority of police officers didn't like the idea.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Both caffeinated beverages drank hot out of a cup.

Your point?

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

did it occur to you that YOU might be misrepresenting the title all on your own?

title

looks like a question to me :D

----------

soccer VS footbal
    baseball VS that funny paddle thingamagig
    king/Queen VS President
    funny accents

plenty of cultural differences :D

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Which one explains the difference of gun violence and deaths?

17. zin macrumors 6502

It has nothing to do with the actual guns.

It is obviously our funny accents and our uncanny ability to reason with the criminals over tea and biscuits.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

look around here
    http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/

that might clue you in, then again it is not s "scientific" study, so you might not be able to see the connection. here you are liable to be knocked out just so they load the video up, not sure how they handle things over there. I know I know "anecdotes" & videos don't count, funny you talk about "correlation/causation" but you are more than happy to dismiss simple thinks like the increase in crime after the citizens were disarmed when Katrina hit. anyways here you go.
    http://rt.com/usa/new-orleans-guns/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-11-30-orleans-crime-cover_x.htm

19. Meister, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

There is countries where policemen don't carry guns?
    I have never been to a country where the police doesnt have guns, except the Netherlands.
    And even there the Royal Marechaussee is armed to the teeth.

In some states here policemen are required by law to always carry a loaded gun once they put on their uniform.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sorry, but nothing beats coffee & oreos:D

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Probably soccer vs football. That seems to be where most of the violence is there.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Poetry slam?

Cool.

I can almost hear the bongos.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The correlation that I've noticed is the 100% chance of your post being punctuated by a smilie.

It works for you.

It really enhances your credibility.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

:D. Your suffers a tad when you obviously dismiss simple data that is presented. Getting my CCW/LTC in a couple of weeks. So is the wife after the incident we just had
    Pay attention to what that "poetry" that you appear to like says. See how women are portrayed there