British woman kills her baby and goes free

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Jul 14, 2008.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

All I can say to this is WTF.

Story

And here is the icing on the cake:
    Not one but two major crimes, one baby dead, one child molested, and she gets away completely clean. I am utterly disgusted.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

She's received a suspended prison sentence. That's not getting off clean... I also see in the article that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute and she pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

WTF :eek:

Man, she looks scary in the picture.
    Edit: But then again, they do try to post photos that make you feel that typically.

4. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Not only did she take a plea, but she admitted to the crime.

It's *two* suspended sentences, not one. The first for killing her child, the second for the other matter. I guess that means she has to behave extra properly for the next year, or they'll slap her on the wrist again. :rolleyes:

I pity British justice.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ya see, to me, she looks like a self-indulgent bitch.

Potato, potato.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good for you. I guess you'd rather see the death penalty?

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Lets see how fast this will take the whole thread off topic. ;)

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hey, it's the PRSI forum. And it's a reasonable question... because I wasn't in court and didn't review all the evidence from prosecutors, the police and social services, I'm perfectly entitled to lift a piece from that slanted rag called the Daily Mail and use it to make some spurious point about justice in a country I don't even live in, and a woman I've never met. :D

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

touche! :eek:

I think the shock is at the suspended sentence. But we are all armchair lawyers/judges, and we don't know all the facts. :eek:

10. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

No, but a nice healthy prison term would definitely be in order. Or would that be too harsh on her?

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yeah it's the Daily Mail, sensationalist tabloid bait for readers to be indignant and sanctimonious. Visit the Daily Mail front page and tell me you'd take anything they report seriously. If you can find a picture of anyone not half naked and in a sex romp shock omg......

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think that the serious suicide attempt would make a judge think twice. She's under supervision.

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Is this the newspaper* Murdoch owns? :confused:

* term used very loosely

14. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Being the father of a 3month old, yes

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

So you'd want you partner executed by the state for manslaughter?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps we should buy you a subscription to the Mail. Daily jollies for the censorious.

17. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Considering that we both have discussed that there is nothing that a baby of that age could do to anger someone that much, yes. The fact is that babies are defenseless, and completely helpless and reliant on us to keep them safe and fed etc.

My wife would have it done to me jsut as fast as I would have it done to her.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, stop supervision, and the World is suddenly a little better place.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You're true soul mates.

Would you also call for the death penalty when your toddler is older and guilty of manslaughter?

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think it's easy to judge without putting yourself in the same situation. Single mother, not working, no parents to help, no father of the baby to help... described as a perfect mother until the day she snaps. History of self-harm.

This was not pre-meditated murder, yet others seem content to make her into a monster.

21. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

If you mean if they are the age of a toddler, then no because they are incapable of knowing right from wrong. The woman plead to manslaughter, she committed a heinous crime IMO, not manslaughter, which appears to be the lesser offense that she plead to.

I will say it's easy for all of us to play an armchair lawyer. Given what I've seen on the news etc, that is what I've based my opinion of everything on. If I have been in the court room, it's possible I may have a different opionion, but I'm harsh when it comes to crimes against children.

22. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

For an American who probably only has passing knowledge of the British tabloid press, perhaps it's difficult to understand that your outrage is precisely what the paper intends to manufacture. The purpose of this faux outrage is for you and your 75 year old wife to be in complete agreement that the country really is going down the tubes. On the next page there is likely an article on declining house prices - logical, isn't it? - confirming your suspicions.

As Blue Velvet is saying, the article makes little attempt to present the logic behind the sentencing, clue enough that there is more to this than the trashy story the Mail has presented.

Just to add: It is manslaughter unless the prosecution can prove intent and premeditation.

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

So which papers' stories are deemed worthy of discussion in the MR forums? I'd have thought the story itself more relevant than who owns the paper and which way the paper leans.

24. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I think it has more to do with the fact that the Mail is better known for sensationalist rubbish and this article is a nice example of that. And of course the fact that Murdoch is a known purveyor of sensationalist rubbish. Perhaps a peer-reviewed journal would be more acceptable...

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It would be relevant if we were presented with all the facts. Murdoch's sewage press however, refuses to do so. The outrage amongst the illiterati is what they're aiming for, not any serious discussion on modern causes of infanticide.

Your argument is like saying "It's ok if you lie to me as long as I agree with what you're lying about."