Britons beware: our "moral and spiritual vacuum" cleared the way for radical Islamism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, May 29, 2008.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/85

It includes such gems as blaming women for for the breakdown of Christianity in British society plus a call for a ideological battle with Islam.

I cannot believe that I read The Bishop of Rochester, the Rt Rev Michael Nazir-Ali's article, full of "humility" and "tolerance", as it is, through to the end!

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The battle cry of conservatives everywhere these days it seems: "Things are different and scary these days -- what can the government do to stop it from changing?"

3. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Shoulda seen it coming... let the women out of the kitchen, and what do you get?! Extreme Islamism!! Can't women do anything right?! (JOKE!)

He has a point that 'christian values' are disappearing, but other than that, this guy seems to have been eating too many idiot pills.

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

"These days?" You've paraphrased the precise technical definition of conservatism.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Let's not forget that this man, thanks to our wonderful sham of a democracy and the pathetically inadequate reforms of Blair's government, has a seat in the House of Lords.

No wonder the Scots want to leave the UK :rolleyes:

6. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Who'd have thought that the advent of the automated washing machine would be responsible for the collapse of British society, huh?

( :D ;) )

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did it never cross the bishop's addled mind that it is precisely this kind of halfwitted, vacuous claptrap being spouted by church leaders which has formed the very vacuum he fulminates against?

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course not. It's the women, not the men; and most definitely nothing the clergy men have done that would cause the Great And Glorious Word of God to fall by the wayside.

It's the story of Eve, writ large. Or small. I'm not sure which.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Does my writ look large in this?"

10. Queso macrumors G4

Ah St. Eve. Or Steve as I like to refer to her :D

11. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Well colour me surprised! The Daily Mail "agrees with virtually everything" that the Right Reverend says:

By the way, is that the Daily Mail arguing that we allow more immigrants into Britain to "fight for our culture and our religion"? I would have thought that that kind of argument would cause it to spontaneously combust under the weight of it's own (hypocritical) bull****?

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Should have stuck to using the moral and spiritual broom briton.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What better way to fight religious fundamentalism than with religious fundamentalism?

Makes perfect sense.

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am trying to connect with this story and failing miserably. Where is the connection between being a woman and Islam have in common? I wonder if Hagee and he exchange Christmas cards and belong to the same 'mutual admiration society'?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think it's because Rachael Ray is a terrorist.

16. remmy macrumors 6502a

Can England get independence too? Just build a wall around the houses of parliament and claim independence.

17. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

This looks like a classic case of fighting fire with fire, which, as my friends in the emergency services tell me, is not a good thing.

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Actually in dealing with forest fires, using controlled burns can be very effective. In this case, however, not so much.

19. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

While my view of British culture may be somewhat, shall we say, skewed, but shouldn't the title read thus: "Britons beware: our 'moral and spiritual vacuum'cleared the way for radical Chavism"? Seems like a much bigger societal problem if you ask me... :confused:

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Basically the definition of a conservative. See, the conservatives want to keep everything the same, so nothing new gets accomplished. Liberals are over-zealous with their proposed changes. They even out and we get an outcome that is still an improvement, but without the often-illogical means to an end that liberals advocate.

Very simplified, but this is, in essence, how I view the political arena.

21. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

So by being an obstinate conservative, one can still believe that what they are doing is simply 'balancing' out the political arena?

I'd rather people actually stood up for what they believed in, rather than taking up political extremes, which just discredits everyone's views.

22. aLoC macrumors 6502a

I agree that people already indoctrinated in a moderate local religion are less likely to be taken in by foreign extremists. But people who understood reason and science would be even less likely.

23. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

And their favourite national newspaper does like scream just how scary things are from their front page.

Attached Files:

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes indeedy... the idea that Brangelina has produced twins should scare the poop out of all of us.

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I know! They're advertising what now? Oh, free shampoo.