Brits: Ross, Brand, and Andrew Sachs. Storm in a tea cup?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by edesignuk, Oct 29, 2008.

?

What should happen?

1. Sincere apology, end of story.

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. Sack them, the fiends!

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. It's so unimportant I just don't care.

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

It should be noted the apparently outraged granddaughter in all of this is a fame-seeking burlesque dancer in a crew called the Satanic Sluts. Yes, you read that correctly.

So is she really outraged by a little edgy adult humour? :rolleyes:

Oh, and she's suddenly appointed Max bloody Clifford as her spokes person over night.

I want to beat most of the people in the Have your Say thing with a stick too.

FFS. Grow up people, it's not the end of the world.

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I say sack them simply because they are overpaid underrated absolutely not funny terrible piss poor comedians and entertainers.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You don't like them, that's fair enough. Fact is millions do, if they were the type of presenter you favour would you happily see them fired over something so trivial?

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yeah it was probably not the best idea on their parts but the whole thing is being blown so far out of proportion. Nothing like overreacting to overreacting.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Couldn't agree more, although, even though I did not see the items in question, it does seem outrageous that this kind of grossly intrusive behaviour and breach of confidentiality be paraded in public. It really doesn't matter what the girl's occupation is.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Allow me to be the first one to say "TPIWWOP".

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Sack them because they are crap - maybe - but this is silly. Even Andrew Sachs doesn't want them sacked.

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It doesn't matter as such, but she's no librarian, so I do think it's significant in so much as to say that she's hardly likely to be shocked or truly outraged by it. Publicity seeker, pure and simple.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Frankly, yes. Their MO is constantly to test the limits of the acceptable. Perhaps it's time the limits pushed back.

10. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Welcome to spEak You’re bRanes ;)

I didn't realise Brand had actually slept with Sach's grand daughter - everything I'd seen so so far just said that he'd "claimed to have slept with her". If you willingly sleep with Russell Brand, I can't say I have much sympathy for anything that follows.

I think an apology is needed, but the grand daughter has got so much publicity out of it it's hard to feel very sorry - apart from her grandfather finding out she slept with someone like Brand, anyway.

Gordon Brown should gtfo and go do something useful though.

11. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I listen to Russell Brand on the radio every week and did hear (and laugh) at that whole telephone answer message sequence.

However, the granddaughters job has no bearing on this. It was out of order, and rather misogynistic. And not the sort of thing to leave on a grandfathers answer machine!

I don't think a sacking is in order though, but a sincere apology would be good.

12. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I agree with Skunk here. I like a good laugh and love the 'push the boundries' style of some presenters, but they must know there are ethical and moral limits; in this case I think they stepped quite a bit over that line.

Think if it was your grandad getting calls with that content and having it broadcast to an audience accross the UK? It would make me physically ill and I would demand a head (if not a pair of nuts) on a velvet cushion....

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

O RLY? Neither did I.
    Agreed.
    Definitely agreed!

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I'm with anyone who thinks their a pair of pr*cks ( & not just because of this ) & should be sacked, i think i read somewhere that ross gets paid something like £18m, WHAT the blokes a tosser

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Brand should be taken off the air. Not in relation to this particular incident though, but simply because he's an odious little weasel of a man and I really don't see why a significant proportion of the country is so enamoured with him.

I'm not overly keen on Jonathan Ross, either.

What the young lady in question may or may not do for a living is completely irrelevant, ringing her grandfather up to (among other things) boast about having slept with her – and then broadcasting it to the nation as entertainment – is out of order. Mind, milking this for what she can isn't going to do her any favours.

I'm glad Gordon Brown has got himself involved, though. Obviously all this recession talk isn't that big a deal if he has matters such as this to attend to instead.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sack them and hopefully bring a better quality BBC in its wake.

I've already shipped off my complaint to the BBC. Mostly annoyed that these 2 idiots are being paid from my TV license fee.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think that probably covers my view of the subject it seems all, with the possible exception of Sachs, are repulsive human beings.(although quite why it's being argued about on news programs is beyond me)

18. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

The calls were definitely over the line and at least some action should be taken - both against the presenters and the producers who let it be broadcast (since it was pre-recorded). However, what I find most telling is that of the 18,000 complaints about the show the BBC has now received, only 2 were made after it was broadcast (and they were about the swearing) - the rest have been since it started being publicised...

19. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I initially thought it was a storm in a tea cup, until I listened to it. It's the kind of thing that I was doing at parties 30 years ago… all very immature and offensive. However, the grandaughter must be ecstatic, (expect to see her on I'm a celebrity soon :rolleyes:).

An apology is adequate in my humble opinion.

20. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Yup, was in the article you linked to ;) "During the calls, Ross revealed Brand had slept with Sachs' granddaughter." Also see this article from that bastion of quality news that is the Daily Mail.

I just wish all the newspapers/TV channels would stop talking about it as if it's SRS NOOZ.

21. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Sack "the talent" and whoever okayed the broadcast.

EDIT: Radio 5 has reported that the BBC Director General has suspended Ross and Brand until the conclusion of an investigation.

22. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

[​IMG]

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Exactly. I despise this country sometimes when it gets on one of its Daily Mail-fuelled, curtain-twitching, pursed-mouth, piously tutting moral witch hunts. While the economy melts down, this tediously trivial story has been clogging up my radio for the last two days and the involvement of Max Clifford speaks volumes.

They'll never miss a chance to take a swing at the Beeb, and while the call was pushing the line, there are appropriate ways to deal with this. Besides, I like Jonathan Ross. Not too sure about the other bloke.

24. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's my understanding that Ross has already sincerely apologised, Brand, I don't know.

This whole thing is such a media-hyped farce. It's a bloody circus. Complete over reaction, everyone and their mate jumping on the "blah blah...my licence fee...blah blah", it would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

25. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I doubt very much you would be saying that if brand was going around saying he's been sh*gging your grandaughter on national radio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.