Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAodh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Dublin, Eire
hi,
I've just got a "3" broadband connection but it's got a 10gb cap with a massive fee if you go over. does anyone know of a program that will monitor the data used so i know if i go over the cap or not??? would be very handy and would probably save me alot of money...

Thanks

p.s. any irish, this modem is savage, i'm getting 3,2mb down in fermoy where you normally get crap signal on norm mobiles

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
See if your provider has a meter. Mine(internode) has a dashboard widget that displays how much I've downloaded and how much bandwidth I have left.

MacAodh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Dublin, Eire
no, they don't. they have a lovely program for windows including text messaging and usage etc but even the driver for the modem i had to download off the internet. To be honest I'm surprised this sort of thing isn't built into osx, would be a simple and nice thing to have there on internet connect

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, you could potentially use Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder to see how much data has been transferred through your network, but there's no way to discern between internet traffic and other network traffic. :eek:

Internode rules!

MacAodh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Dublin, Eire
hum... not a bad idea, but i was looking for something that would maybe have a countdown feture so that it would tell me when i'm approaching the limit... guess the activity monitor would do in the interm though thanks. By the way, it's saying almost a gigabye already, does that mean since i last turned my computer on or since when?

MacAodh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Dublin, Eire
ok, well that's not going to be much good to me so. esp since I've just been reminded i'll be sharing my connection via airport, which will show up there as well so not much good to me. A well any other ideas?

gavstephenson

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
Anything else popped up since the last post in 2007?

I'm looking for something free that tells me how much I've downloaded.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.