Broadwell is already out on Yoga 3 Pro. What about the MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by polee, Oct 15, 2014.

1. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Do you think that we will be seeing the new MBA 12 soon now that broadwell is already out and used by Lenovo's Yoga 3 Pro?

http://www.zdnet.com/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-first-take-thin-light-and-flexible-7000034551/

"A key reason why Lenovo has been able to design such a thin ultrabook is Intel's new 14nm (Broadwell) dual-core Core M-70 processor, which runs at 1.1GHz-2.6GHz (in Turbo Mode) within a thermal envelope of just 4.5W. Incorporating integrated Intel HD Graphics 5300 and supported by 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, the Core M-70 platform should provide a good combination of mainstream-level performance and low power consumption. There's no fan, which makes for silent operation, and we didn't notice the system getting too warm — even when running a demanding benchmark like Cinebench R15."

2. Chafka macrumors member

I am seriously looking at this as I no longer have my macbook pro and this is aweful nice. If there is no Retina display update to the Air models, I might just be moving over.

Boy do I hope there is an update...

3. motrek macrumors 68020

Broadwell isn't completely out. These Core-M chips are the first ones to be released. They are the slowest Broadwells and are targeted at mid-performance fanless devices like tablets and convertibles. I would be surprised if Apple chose to use these chips for any laptops. It is not usually Apple's style to use the lower end of Intel's line in laptops.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Broadwell... just a matter of time right.

But would u upgrade ur Haswell if no retina, maybe a couple hours of extra battery, still can't play heavy games, just to show off your friends, I got the 14nm cpu! ?

5. Republius macrumors member

Interestingly, the Digitimes report that the next generation MacBook Air is shipping references that the product has a retina display though it does not mention which processing chip it is utilizing.

There seems to be a question as to whether at such low wattage the Core M chip could drive the retina display and improve processing performance. But I will leave that up to the electrical engineers.

From a manufacturing perspective, given the assumed extreme demand for a MacBook Air Retina, I wonder how many months of inventory production Apple would feel the need to have shipped before announcing the availability of such a product? Digitimes claims production this month for the next generation MacBook Air is slow and will not be ramped up until next month.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

The battery life improvement from Haswell -> Broadwell is going to be relatively minimal.

Haswell uses so little power when idle or doing basic things (0.5 to 1 watt) that it's only maybe about 1/4 of the total power being used. So if you improve that by 30% you end up with less than a 10% increase in battery life. Nothing to complain about but seems like a bad reason to get a new computer.

7. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Exactly, let's also remember that, so far, the only benchmarks we have for the Core M are results published by Intel and they're only comparing the performance of the Core M to their Bay Trail Atom - not Haswell-U processors.

8. Woochoo macrumors 6502

I hope they stay with the mid-range Intel models. I don't care about having a fan that it's almost inaudible. But hey, it would be funny to see a premium price laptop with a tablet-oriented CPU.

9. Republius macrumors member

The general consensus was that Apple would have first call on Core M chips, yet Lenovo is coming out with the Yoga 3 Pro in November with this processor and ASUS has already announced the Zenbook UX305 for January with Core M.

It seems to me there are two possibilities: 1) Apple is protecting sales of current generation MacBook Airs by failing to announce the next generation with retina and Core M until they can actually build up inventory enough to offer them for sale, or 2) Apple is going to use a different chip than Core M which is not yet readily available enough to mass produce a MBA Retina for sale.

I think it is interesting that those supposedly in the know who have reported on the development of a coming MBA Retina (John Paczkowski, Jack March, Ming-Chi Kuo, Digitimes, etc.) have not said which processing chip will be used in the device.

10. Woochoo macrumors 6502

I bet for the 2). If they haven't released the Air now, might be because they will stay with mid-range Intel CPUs, which hasn't come yet, so we will probably see the new Air the 1Q 2015. After seeing what they did with iMac (pushing it to the edge with 5K) it would be surprising to see the Air "downgraded" to a low end CPU (even if it performs almost the same as the actual 4200U).

11. lcseds macrumors 6502a

And seeing what they did with the Mac mini by removing a quad core option means nothing would surprise me.

12. Republius macrumors member